Best mounting position for the ESL EFXs?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a pair of EFXs and absolutely love the sound. But wow...it really seems that these wall-mounted electrostats are incredibly unpopular! Can't find a review anywhere! Perhaps it's because I've never heard the CLX, Summit, Montis, Ethos or Theos....and maybe I was taken in by the beauty of these wall-mounted conversation pieces for my small condominium...but they seem terrific to me.

It's time for me to wall-mount them, and I understand that the dipole reflections will be of concern. Should I mount them right up against the corners, essentially flat against the back wall and toed in (thus maximizing their separation)? Or would it be better even slightly away from the corner (just a few inches is all I could move them toward the TV set on each side), and toed in a bit less?

Hi Mason, congrats on the new speakers!

My recommendation is to mount them a few inches away from the corner to increase the reflected sound delay from the rear of the panel.

I also strongly advise that you first place at least 3" worth of absorption on the wall where the rear of the panel will fire into. Since you are going to mount close to a corner, cover the wall all the way to the corner.

Last edited:
Welcome.

Just to be clear, the absorption should cover the entire region behind the EFX with 3" thick absorption from the inner edge of the speaker (i.e. the one closest to the TV, all the way to the edge of the two walls.

Depending on how wide the overall wall is, you might consider making the acoustic treatment run the entire length of the wall and match the tallest height of either the EFX or the TV. Visually, that would look pretty sharp.

Back