best cd ripper for mac

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gordonmenninger

Reaction score
my new imac just arrived today and i am wondering what the best cd ripper is to rip lossless files played in squeezebox. i have used db poweramp before. what is the best one on the mac side?

thanks!
gordon

If your CDs are in reasonable condition then you will get identical results with any ripper. I've checksumed the resulting files a few years ago and the results were identical. If your CDs are in poor condition, or you're paranoid, then any programme with secure rip mode or Accuraterip will make you worry less.

Even iTunes (which has to be nigh on the worst programme ever created) ripping to ALAC was generating identical .WAV files.

Last edited:
thanks! all my cds are in excellent shape with no scratches. Just curious why everyone says that itunes is such a horrible ripper - any idea?

thanks! all my cds are in excellent shape with no scratches. Just curious why everyone says that itunes is such a horrible ripper - any idea?

Horrible ripper? Not sure, other than it has very basic and rudimentary error checking and doesn't do Accuraterip. Otherwise, it certainly is capable of bitperfect rips.

Horrible programme I can understand though. It is clunky, cumbersome, bloated and complex. The installer places rubbish and bloatware in all corners of your computer. Despite the complexity, functionality is non-existant. You can't rip to two formats simultaneously. It doesn't do half the things most audiophiles want to do (such as rip to FLAC or check against Accuraterip). It can't be tweaked (eg. by adding your own encoders) and it is slow. Maybe this is what they mean, but it still creates rips without issue.

Last edited:
Back