Benefits of absorbing the rear wave?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boris

Reaction score
Tried to do some searching but couldn't find a detailed list of the benefits to absorbing the rear wave.

I can't get my EM-ESLs in the optimal position so currently they are sitting about 2 feet from the wall behind them, the right one is 5 feet from the side wall and the other is only about a foot and a half from the side wall, so almost tucked into the corner.

What benefits will I see from absorbing the rear wave? Right now I have the side walls treated with homemade panels from Corning 703 but that was from before I got the electrostatic speakers.

Last edited:
I can't get my EM-ESLs in the optimal position so currently they are sitting about 2 feet from the wall behind them, the right one is 5 feet from the side wall and the other is only about a foot and a half from the side wall, so almost tucked into the corner.

other than panel absorption (2" should be fine ) on the wall behind them corner bass traps may also be a good idea

What benefits will I see from absorbing the rear wave?

better defined sound for one

Right now I have the side walls treated with homemade panels from Corning 703 but that was from before I got the electrostatic speakers.

where are your side walls treated in relation to speaker and your listening postion ? what relative 'toe-in' do you have ?

What benefits will I see from absorbing the rear wave? Right now I have the side walls treated with homemade panels from Corning 703 but that was from before I got the electrostatic speakers.

I experienced greater detail retrieval, smoother highs, much improved imaging and sound staging, and just more overall clarity to the sound. Basically, absorbing the rear wave will remove late-arriving reflections that will smear the sound coming from the primary wave and create comb filtering, both of which will degrade imaging, sound staging, and detail retrieval.

In your case, where the speakers are so close to the front wall, I would highly recommend it. It isn't quite so important if you can get your speakers out five feet or so from the wall.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I was reading a few posts on another forum from what seemed to be a pretty well educated poster and he recommended diffusion over absorption of the rear wave. Opinions?

Thanks for the advice guys.

I was reading a few posts on another forum from what seemed to be a pretty well educated poster and he recommended diffusion over absorption of the rear wave. Opinions?

False. Diffusion behind ML's does not work as well as absorption. I have done A/B tests with both and proven this to myself. Also, JonFo (another forum member who is very technically proficient) has done soundwave analysis tests that show pretty clearly that absorption of the rear wave is much better than diffusion. The bottom line is that, to be effective, diffusion needs a lot of space. Most normal listening rooms are too small for diffusion to be of much use for this particular purpose (taming the interfering reflections of the rear wave of a dipolar speaker).

Latest posts

Back