Bel Canto Amplfiers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danman

Reaction score
Can anyone comment about their performance with ML speakers? I have listened to these recently and was very impressed but did not have the chance to hook up to our speakers even though they told me it would not be a problem. Supposedly they are very simular to the amps provided in some of the models with a powered woofer.

The Bel Canto amps use ICEpower Class D modules. The technology was developed by Bang & Olufsen. I was once interested in Bel Canto's REF1000 mono blocks. Since there was no evidence that Bel Canto had done anything to improve on the stock design, I thought they were severely overpriced, so I bought a pair of Rotel 1091 monos instead. Those use the same ICEpower 1000ASP modules. I ended up returning the Rotels because I liked my Hypex UCD (a different Class D implementation) based mono blocks better. I also saved $1000/$1700 (compared to Rotel/Bel Canto).

However, I have not heard any Bel Canto amps.

Now, their CD-2 transport looks absolutely special.

I have not heard them in my setup, but I did hear them in several different systems at the stereophile show. You owe it to yourself to audition the ref 1000.

I used the old Bel Canto 200.2 amp with my ReQuests, CLS's, Innersounds, etc... This is the older Tripath design and can be had used for around $800. I loved the amp. Very detailed with a very SET-like sound, in which each instrument is very clear and separate from other instruments. Also, a very low noise floor. I heard the Rotel ICEPower amp one time and wasn't impressed, but this was a VERY unfair setup, so I don't think that evaluation is valid.

I did find that the 200.2 lacked the oomph to drive my Magnepan 1.6QR's, but drove my ReQuests no problem. Must have been a lack of current issue.

MartinLogan and Bel Canto amps match very well, IMHO. We've done a number of systems with Summits and REF1000's or even a Bel Canto integrated amp with other MartinLogan designs.

You can use the link below to see one of the systems we ran at our HiFi show in Regina at the end of 2006. You'll see one picture of myself with John Stronczer (owner/designer, Bel Canto) and a system of all Bel Canto electronics driving Summits:

http://www.everestaudio.com/hifishow/

Neil

Back