...because it's what's on the inside that counts.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some very nice pics in this thread! :drool:

Minimum parts count appeals to me, too. My D-200s monoblocks are mostly toroid and elcos. On-chip parts do not count because they are integrated ;).

Is that a HUGE Torid or is it just a nice small chassis? There is something to be said for compact!!

The Mighty Plinius SA102!

SA102-SIT.jpg

SA102-SIB.jpg

Mwahahahahaha!!!! :D

Carver M-500t--the wonders of Magnetic Field Amplification. The output transisters are under the heat sinks, and to get to them, you have to actually take the board out of the chassis. I'd love to show them, but I'm not going to completely disassemble my amps. :eek:

Gotta love those humongous meters...

Attachments

• M500tGuts-1.jpg
    M500tGuts-1.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 857
  • M500tGuts-2.jpg
    M500tGuts-2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 877
Last edited:
Is that a HUGE Torid or is it just a nice small chassis? There is something to be said for compact!!
Very small chassis ;)

I'd guess.... 10" deep?
:D

It is a very small chassis, 6.25"w x 5.5"h x 8.0"d. The toroidal transformer logs most of the 15 pounds each block weighs. That aluminum back plate is actually the heat sink. No wonder these amps can be so small and light. The toroid's diameter is at approx. 4" - 4.5" judging from the photo. (I have not opened mine yet.) Considering that the xformer only has to provide max. 3 amps for full RMS power, and is supported by those huge caps for peaks, it sure is hefty!

Those toroids in the Mighty Plinius look not much larger. 5" - 5.5"? How wide and deep is the SA102? Of course, they have to work much, much harder, and in that heat, too. ;)

DrJRapp has already shown a picture of what the inside of our VK-31SE preamps look like. Here's what my VK-6200 power amp looks like on the inside. Stock photo, not my amp. Mine's only got 4 channels running instead of the 6 shown here, but I'd have to take about 50 screws out to get to the inside. Love the modular construction though. It's a beast - about 28 inches from front to back and it weighs nearly 200 lbs!

Attachments

• VK6200internal.jpg
    VK6200internal.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 643
Last edited:
Here's a partial interior shot of my Aesthetix Rhea phonostage. Lots-o-tubes...

Attachments

• rheain.jpg
    rheain.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,213
Well I guess no one else is quite as brave (or crazy) as I am :p

I had to go to the store to buy a special 1.5mm allen wrench to get the lid off of my new Marantz.,,,, but I did it all for you :)

451af4h.jpg

48x1cic.jpg

Last edited:
Someone dig up a pic of the insides of one of the new Classe Delta amps....those things are immaculately organized and pretty. I wouldnt mind a pair of the CA-M400 myself. Not a bad deal for $10k retail/pr.

DrJRapp has already shown a picture of what the inside of our VK-31SE preamps look like. Here's what my VK-6200 power amp looks like on the inside. Stock photo, not my amp. Mine's only got 4 channels running instead of the 6 shown here, but I'd have to take about 50 screws out to get to the inside. Love the modular construction though. It's a beast - about 28 inches from front to back and it weighs nearly 200 lbs!

There's probably 160 of that 200 pounds up front in those toroid transformers alone!

Power Conditioners Look Awesome Inside....

:D This BPT 3.5 and the 10.5 Signature Plus - Power Conditioners looks like they could od the job and then some... These things must weigh a ton each... :D

Attachments

• BPT Power Conditioner.jpg
    BPT Power Conditioner.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 546
  • BPT - BP-10.5 Signature Plus.jpg
    BPT - BP-10.5 Signature Plus.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 506
  • Inside - BPT - BP-10.5 Signature Plus.jpg
    Inside - BPT - BP-10.5 Signature Plus.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 771
Last edited:
Back