Ayre AX-7e with Vantages?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maniax

Reaction score
Does anyone here have experience using Ayre AX-7e to drive the Vantages?

I got myself a pair, and am looking around for amps, the more neutral the better. I'm just worried that the 60W of the ayres are not enough to drive the electrostats which go down to 1ohm at 20khz.

the Ayre works well....

It has quite a bit of current reserve.

Another amp you might enjoy, provided you can get better pricing in Singapore is the Luxman class-a amplifiers. The 590A-II will drive the Summit or Vantage no prob and it's 30wpc class-A.

And it will keep your living room warm!

Auditioned with Ayre Ax-7e and BAT Vk-300xSE

I actually went to audition today, the Ayre Ax-7e and BAT VK-300xSE(supertube version) with the vantages.

Despite what theory told me, the Ayre performed much better than the BAT. Maybe the BAT was more detailed, but there was something glaring and screechy about the violins in Holst's Jupiter with the BAT. Also female vocals somehow became more glaring with the BAT. The Ayre on the other hand was sweet and musical, with enough detail too. Despite its 60W I could still turn it up to an intolerable volume, though when I tried to play a Saint Saens piano concerto recording, the Ayre did make the piano sound harsh. Not sure whether that's due to the amps or the speakers though.

Do you guys recommend me anything else? I'm looking for something neutral and involving.

Sounds like you've got it nailed.

Classical music is the toughest test. If you get the tonality right, you're there...

Buy the Ayre and relax!! Enjoy the tunes...

Sugden masterclass

On the topic of class a, do you think with 30watt it will be enough to drive the vantages? I got a big room too haha. Anyways i'm having difficulty locating a luxman dealer, but i'm looking into a sugden masterclass, a 33watter pure class a amp.

Does anyone have experience with the Sugden masterclass integrated amp?

On the topic of class a, do you think with 30watt it will be enough to drive the vantages? I got a big room too haha. Anyways i'm having difficulty locating a luxman dealer, but i'm looking into a sugden masterclass, a 33watter pure class a amp.

Does anyone have experience with the Sugden masterclass integrated amp?

Hola Maniax. I have a customer who is using this ARC amp with a pair of Vantages, and his room is big too...http://www.audioresearch.com/VSi55.html
Happy listening,
Roberto.

Back