Auditioned the Quad 2905's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
Well as a follow-up to Joey's listening to the 2805's the other nite, I was at Overture , Wilmington, De today to spend a couple of hours with their larger sibling the 2905's. Having read Joey's take on the 2805 I was prepared for some shortcommings but was confident they wouldn't arise because Overture was using better amplification and Terry had them set up in "his" room (Cardas golden principle demensions, approx 16 x 28 x 9).

Spectral electronics were used throughout, SDR 3000 transport, SDR 4000 DAC, DMC 30sl pre driving DMA 360 mono's and also took a test drive with their DMA 100s (one sweet little stereo amp).

Music was BeeGie Adair's "Sentimental Journey" , Mary Chapin Carpenters "Acoustic Chill3", Flim and the BB's "tricycle and Heart throb" cuts and for classical, Shostakovich's 5th op47 D minor , Lenorad Berstein NYP followed by Tchaikovsky's 7th E flat majo, Neeme Jarvi London Philharmonic.

My initial listening impression was markedly better than Joey's, they imaged very well, with a broad soundstage both side to side as well as in the perception of depth. In Shostakovich's 5th, during the second movement the first chair violinist plays solo as percussion builds in and the spatial releationship (left front to right rear) was spot on. For percussion speed and accuracy I picked Flim and the BB's "Heart Throb" off their BIG NOTES CD. It's a great piece that combines saxaphone, bass, keyboards and percussion. The 2905's in my opinion did a superb job, quick, tight, and with a good sense of solidity. As good as the Summitt's.....No, but unless you need large doses of chest thumping bass they seemed mighty accurate.
Mary Chapin Carpenter's "My Heaven" came through as rich and visceral as ever.
Classical music proved to be very open and uncongested, a long standing Quad trademark that continues.

Overall I was very pleased but not "overly" impressed given the fact that they MSRP for a grand or so more than the Summitt's. Now I will be the first to admitt I don't have alot of "seat time" with All Spectral gear so I'm sure differences and fine tunning could change my opinion.

I can honestly say as I drove home, that todays listening session further reinforced my happines with my current set-up and I look forward to the introduction of the CLX. For I think it will prove, along with the Decent a worthy challenge indeed !!

Last edited:
Dave,

Maybe the bigger brother is indeed better... but I still remember exactly my thoughts of the 2805... ugh. I will go back and take another listen though, when I have time.

Congrats on hearing the 2905 perform well!

AND, I have high hopes for the CLX baby!

Joey :D

Dave, Maybe the bigger brother is indeed better... but I still remember exactly my thoughts of the 2805... ugh. I will go back and take another listen though, when I have time.Joey :D

Joey, I don't think it was so much a fact of the 2905 besting the 2805, rather my audition was done with much better amplification along with a superior listening room.

If you do go back and listen be sure they drive them with something more "ballsy" than Naim, Quads like amps with good current capability.

Picture those 2905's with an ARC VT100, Ref 3 and an analog source for sonic heaven or some other non-Spectral system, which I have always found way to lean.

The best I have ever heard Quads (ESL 63) was with an ARC SP-10 and a PS Audio IIC+ with an Oracle Delphi TT/Dynavector arm/DV Karat. It was a slice of the real thing in a room. That amp synergized with the Quads unlike any amp I had or have heard with them. Strange and unpredictable.

Back