Audio Wave CD releases / Attention Jazz Afficiandos

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Hi all,

Since this is a general observation, hopefully Tom will allow it.

These CD's are released on the JVC XRCD24 label. All were originally recorded circa 1960 by Rudy Van Gelder and originally released on the Blue Note label. Playable on all CDP's.

They have received rave reviews in the audio press and that praise is well justified. There is a liquidity and naturalness to these releases without any (at least in my system) loss of detail that makes them a "must have" in any persons collection that values jazz music. And in a period that produced many outstanding artists / music.

I've purchased the four titles listed below and plan on future purchases.

Hank Mobely / Soul Station
Tina Brooks / True Blue
Horace Parlin Quintet / Speakin My Piece
Jackie McLean / Bluesnik

They are a bit pricey ($30 / disc) and available through Music Direct and Elusive Disc. You can preview on the latter's site and check out what's currently available as well as pending releases.

Assuming you have a competent CD playback system and the rest of your system is of sufficient transparency, and you like the music recorded in this magical period, you should not be disappointed. And to repeat what some of the reviews have stated, these are as close to "analogue", in the here and now, as you may get in a CD format.

Highly recommended.

GG

I agree G. I think I now have 6 in my collection. They sound like you are there in my system. A must have if you like Jazz! :music:

When I first heard about this collection (24 discs I believe) I signed up for the automatic distribution through Elusive Disc. It is quite the pricey collection but the last two are free!! My collection now has 15 discs and the quality is superb. There are some cuts where the microphone was overloaded and it is very noticable. I have to agree with Gordon G. Very analogue sounding except for the pops and hiss (sorry vinyl guys).

So far, my two favorite cds in the collection are Horace Parlan (Speakin' My Piece) and Donald Byrd (The Cat Walk). The recordings are all equally good, I especially like the tempo and style on these two discs.

If your into jazz, I'd highly recommend this series.

Gordon

Hi G,

Have the Parlan CD. Will need to check out the Byrd.

Thanks for the feedback.

GG

Back