Audio reviewers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
So I recently read the most current Stereophile (May 2013 / Vol 36 / No. 5) magazine and came upon this in Robert J. Reina's review of the Audio Research Reference 75 amplifier. No slam on folks that like AR gear. Here are a couple of notable quotes.

Not only was the 75 capable of rendering dynamic swings on great recordings from pppp to ffff. I was able to hear 10 to 15 dynamic intervals between pp and p.

For those not familiar with classical music, the p to f scale is used to describe dynamic variations (read soft to loud volume) in any recording.

NOTE TO SELF (Norm McDonald SNL line on Weekend Update). I think I need to take a pee. Variations in flow to be determined.

And it gets better.

The loudest volume I could stand in my 35' by 11' (at its highest point) listening room was being created by only 25W. I decided to push the Ref 75 further....I turned it up louder than I could stand it. My ears started hurting and I ran out of the room. I called my audiophile friend Dudley Smalls and told him I couldn't believe how loud the amp was playing. Dudley noted that the music sounded pretty clean and undistorted over the phone.

Reminds me of the infamous restaurant scene from the movie "When Harry met Sally".

I'll have what she ordered.

GG

PS: For those who haven't seen the movie, it's about Billy Crystal (Harry) looking for true love. Meg Ryan (Sally) lives in the same apartment building. They are friends and go out to lunch. They discuss sex. Harry (who has had numerous partners) says that it is impossible for a women to fake an orgasm. Sally disagrees and does so at the table. Two elderly ladies are sitting next to their table and the waitress comes up and asks what they would like for lunch. One of them says.........

Last edited:
10 to 15 dynamic intervals between p and pp? I'd like to hear a pianist try to do that!

On the other point, aside from the fact that RJR was playing silly bugger, maybe that's how double blind should be done......over the phone.

If you want to listen to my system, Bernard, just give me a call... Eyes Wide Shut of course:D

Then you look down to the bottom of the page and John Atkinson's 'Measurement' section. The amp did so very, very poorly on the test bench.

Back