a'SPIRE'ation has come to Fruition !

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tony,

I'm not sure the rest of us want to know the answer to that one. You guys just take this conversation private. :ROFL:

I liked the idea of supporting a vendor that actually supports US !!

I'm happy to see that Shawn is getting some benefit from his sponsorship of this site! The money he pays for that helps keep this place going!

So glad you went thru him, Dave. He's from Wisconsin, so of course he's a class act! ;)

Congrats Dave. I know you have to be really excited. How are the Rogue amps doing with their new partners? I'm assuming they matched well with the Vantages and since I may be in the market in a few months for a new amp I thought they might be worth adding to my list. Anyway, have fun!!!!

Glen

How are the Rogue amps doing with their new partners? Glen

Glen, they are just A-Ok as far I'm concerned, but I knew they would be since I have been more that satisfied with them on the Vantage's.

While I've got less than twelve hours on them so far, it's already 'opened up' in so far as bottom end ease. Tim (lonergan2468) mentioned I believe noticing an improvement within 25-50 hrs. I would think the panels to be fully 'seated' by then and the bass driver to be set within another 20-40 hrs or so.

Once I've got another week under my belt I'll then reclibrate the "EQ" on my Velodyne DD-15, and adj the '35hz knob' accordingly

Of course now Dave, you have a problem. The only thing left to a"Spire" to is the CLX!:D

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Of course now Dave, you have a problem. The only thing left to a"Spire" to is the CLX!:D

Sorry, couldn't resist...

You know Justin, while I look forward to hearing them, given my room size and configuration ....not likely ! Not to mention ........$$$$ , for the Spire's represent the most I have ever spent on speakers.

I will be interested to hear Jeff's (TonePub) comments on comparing dollar value of the Spire to the CLX. For, IMO, the Spire plays Waaay beyond it's price point, as does the CLX I'm sure. To my way of thinking the best 'sound for the dollar' has to be for those lucky owners who have CLS's(II's, IIz's, whatever) with a great sub, yeah, you guys know who you are !!!!

Dave, I would have thought that, but for the side-by-side comparison done between the CLS and the Summit at theWB's house. They seemed to say the Summit was the better option... so I am not too sure.

I was going to go CLS, but the power requirements inferred by theWB meet, togther with it's space requirements, put me off it.

Enjoy, anyway. As I am sure you will!

Dave, I would have thought that, but for the side-by-side comparison done between the CLS and the Summit at theWB's house. They seemed to say the Summit was the better option... so I am not too sure.

I was going to go CLS, but the power requirements inferred by theWB meet, togther with it's space requirements, put me off it.

Justin, valid points for sure, but as we both know there are plenty of competent amp selections available for the CLS's (hell I've got one sitting on the floor in my system right now !)

Dave -

I am sure you are still tinkering with the new toys, but what are your initial impressions so far vs the Vantages?

Erik

To my way of thinking the best 'sound for the dollar' has to be for those lucky owners who have CLS's(II's, IIz's, whatever) with a great sub, yeah, you guys know who you are !!!!

Who is that Dave.....:angel:

With that being said the Spires are the closest Hybrid I have ever heard to a CLS. The CLX has a lot of the CLS sound just better. is it $20k better :rolleyes::devil:

what are your initial impressions so far vs the Vantages? Erik

too early to make serious judgement, but what is apparent from the start is soundstage, vocal / instrument location and just an overall involvement, what I call the "MBL" effect (having been to RMAF and listening to their speakers you know what I mean). Simply put these speakers have the ability to envelop you with music and at the same time give you locallization ability that the Vantage's could never do.

Once I've given the bass drivers another thirty hours or so I'll re-"eq" the sub and have the bottom end up to snuff.

Looking forward to your comments after the usual break-in time of around 500 hours. ;)

Well Bernard, it's only been around fifty hours and after tweaking the position, one inch further out, and a touch more toe-in, I'm set !

I re-did the room EQ through my SMS system in the Velodyne, I've "rolled it in" @60 hz with a fairly steep 24 degree slope, 35 hz setting on back of Spire's are set @ minus 3. This has produced the best integration and flatest response curve.

As suggested by Jonathan and Rich, I do plan on working with some more absortion behind the speakers, especially the wall area that is easily covered by the curtians.

Well Bernard, it's only been around fifty hours and after tweaking the position, one inch further out, and a touch more toe-in, I'm set !
Good for you Dave ! Wish I could upgrade my SL3's to Spires.:(

As suggested by Jonathan and Rich, I do plan on working with some more absortion behind the speakers, especially the wall area that is easily covered by the curtians.
Guess your curtains will be permanently closed.

Latest posts

Back