Are Matched ESL Speaker Pairs critical?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alfred143

Reaction score
I ordered my Vistas online and I'm not sure they sell them as "matched" Pairs? Should I be concerned that they are not matched or with sequential serial numbers? Are they just important as buying matched vacuum tubes?:confused:

I'm not aware of any specific factory matching that goes on as part of Q&A at ML, but perhaps others here have more definitive knowledge. I would however be at least a little bit suspicious of non-sequential serial numbers as that might indicate some sort of tom-foolery on the part of the seller (or the seller's source).

Yes, they are matched pairs. The only electrostatic model that it is not matched is the Electromotion. The sensitivity of the panels and even frequency response are matched. When you change panels, you should change boths. They are mirror matched in a specially chamber and the response is plotted by a computer that measured their sensitiviy and their response, and matched them with a very tiny tolerance between them. Starting from the Vistas, all ML line is hand made! Happy listening.

Yes, they are matched pairs. The only electrostatic model that it is not matched is the Electromotion. The sensitivity of the panels and even frequency response are matched. When you change panels, you should change boths. They are mirror matched in a specially chamber and the response is plotted by a computer that measured their sensitiviy and their response, and matched them with a very tiny tolerance between them. Starting from the Vistas, all ML line is hand made! Happy listening.

Thanks for clarifying that Roberto. One would think ML would take advantage of the matching process both in terms of marketing as well as going that extra step to provide the end-buyer with copies of the on and off-axis plots illustrating how the speakers match (if ML does this, I've yet to see any evidence). Further you'd think they would make mention somewhere that the two serial numbers are effectively tied to one another as a function of this matching... and even further, as you state, if you're going to replace a panel, you should replace them for both speakers. Perhaps this last point is communicated verbally by ML or ML dealers when folks call in to request a new panel?

Anyway... just thinking out loud.

Cheers

Vistas are DEFINITELY matched. Some lower-end models are not, but look at the Vista box and you will see the serial number and "PAIR WITH". Make sure you get the matched pair.

When I had to warranty a panel on some Vantages I sold ML strongly suggested that I buy a matched pair.

I just purchased a pair of Vistas from Audioholics and they came in matched. If you are dealing with an authorized dealer you should be ok...

Thanks all.
I did check the boxes and they do have sequential serial numbers:rocker:
Purchased through Audioholics!
They just arrived today, unfortunately both speakers arrived with damages on the grill ;(

That sucks! Whats the result? warranty? replacement? Any other damage?

Latest posts

Back