ARC In Speakers...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DIRAC is available on your new receiver? I'm wondering, is this coming out only for the new receivers? The one I'm using is probably about 4 years old.
only for new models as paid upgrade

really looking forward to DIRAC release - finally we will see apples to apples comparison of 2 DRC systems. I am still following Audyssey news in the backgroun, and it seems they have really upped their game with the new PC app (which should be working on your receiver too)

only for new models as paid upgrade

really looking forward to DIRAC release - finally we will see apples to apples comparison of 2 DRC systems. I am still following Audyssey news in the backgroun, and it seems they have really upped their game with the new PC app (which should be working on your receiver too)
That's what I'm not quite clear on. Is the Windows/Mac, iOS/Android versions free and you have to pay for the upgrade directly to the receiver?

I assume it will be PC/MAC based app, where you will import final filters to AVR. Similar to today's Multeq-X PC app for Audyssey.
Maybe somebody like @ttocs can chime in re Emotiva/Dirac, I believe it will be similar setup.

I assume it will be PC/MAC based app, where you will import final filters to AVR. Similar to today's Multeq-X PC app for Audyssey.
Maybe somebody like @ttocs can chime in re Emotiva/Dirac, I believe it will be similar setup.
I'll probably use a PC. Any suggestions @ttocs ? I'm thinking ARC Genesis should be able to get me closer to the truth than Audyssey. Plus I have no idea when DIRAC will be released for Marantz.

Last edited:
@ttocs heads up man using only one position when you run ARC is a good way to get it wrong in my most humble expereince.

It is Room. Correction. Not seat correction. If you use only one mic spot the algorithm used to calculate the filters gets messed up. As a former 'only going to measure where I sit' guy, try measuring 5 spots. Even for your one chair the measurements will be better.

Or report back that I'm a dow dow!

I have yet to try the following ARC approach.

This new and hopefully effective approach involves placing the mic at one position.

and taking multiple readings, 5 or greater number.

I have not tried this different approach. Perhaps someone can try and let us know if greater effective than traditional approach of multiple positions and hence multiple readings.

No harm in trying even if not effective.

Dirac with Emotiva Gen3 processors runs on a computer, Win or Mac, and takes total control of the processor. Once finished with saving a new filter, it's then loaded into the processor before closing Dirac. It's an easy process to load filters, it's automated. The processor is locked during the entire process. Each brand processor has its own proprietary version of Dirac, so it's not a one size fits all sorta thing.

Last edited:
I'll probably use a PC. Any suggestions @ttocs ? I'm thinking ARC Genesis should be able to get me closer to the truth than Audyssey. Plus I have no idea when DIRAC will be released for Marantz.
The version of Dirac I use is specifically for my brand of processor and runs on a computer. I'm not well versed on the other versions available for other processors except to say that some processors have limited versions that are for a limited range of frequencies and have the option for full range.

And some processors have options I don't yet have, and might not ever be able to get, like DLBC - Dirac Live Bass Control for multiple subwoofers and specific custom crossover control for each channel, along with some other nifty features. This addon app handles everything for each subwoofer channel individually and every speaker channel, plus, it uses all woofers in the system as helper woofers for smoothing. It's quite a powerful app.

Last edited:
@ttocs heads up man using only one position when you run ARC is a good way to get it wrong in my most humble expereince.

It is Room. Correction. Not seat correction. If you use only one mic spot the algorithm used to calculate the filters gets messed up. As a former 'only going to measure where I sit' guy, try measuring 5 spots. Even for your one chair the measurements will be better.
I use ARC and Dirac in tandem. Single mic for ARC, multi mic for Dirac.The results are very good.

I use ARC and Dirac in tandem. Single mic for ARC, multi mic for Dirac.The results are very good.
So when running ARC in a single position, are you doing multiple sweeps as if you're moving the mic?

So when running ARC in a single position, are you doing multiple sweeps as if you're moving the mic?
You have to do at least 5. But I really think you should reconsider using the same spot....or....experiment, but not in the same day.

I think @ttocs could do EVEN BETTER by moving his mic

You have to do at least 5. But I really think you should reconsider using the same spot....or....experiment, but not in the same day.

I think @ttocs could do EVEN BETTER by moving his mic
I've not only considered it, I've done it, many times.

And again, it's only for ARC that I use a single spot because Dirac is used for the final correction. I test, I check, I use what works the best for each setup.

Back