Anyone with PS Audio Power Plant Premier experience?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCH

Reaction score
Have any of you tried the Power Plant Premier with you system? If so, I'd be grateful to hear what you think. The whole power conditioning thing is something of a black art to me, and I'd appreciate having the chance to benefit from your experience and knowledge on this topic.

Thanks,
Craig

I'm interested in this too. The problem, though, as I see it, is the degree of change you witness is surely related to the mains quality you receive. If it's awful, then I am sure such a unit will wreak a great improvement.

Anyway, really interested to hear any comments, as per CCH's request.

I have three PS Audio Power Plant Premiers (PPP) and for my two systems and my situation which are both Martin Logan systems, it made quite an improvement. Your experience may differ but for me it lowered the sound floor and seemed to increase the overall dynamics of the system. I had a PC8 before the PS Audio PPP and the PC8 sold me on the idea of power conditioning as I have a rather dirty electrical source known as Duke Energy. We have lots of surges and brownouts, sometimes on days when it is Sunny and 75, there is just no ryme or reason to our power delivery. I also get lightning strikes that are close enough that it enters the house and has randomly taken out different things, but not any of the components that I had on the PC8 or that I now have on the PPP. Anyway, I could tell a very noticable difference when the PPP is engaged, the system is dead silent when it is suppose to be and everything sounds crisper, cleaner, clearer if that makes sense. There are other power conditioning products out there and they may be just as good or even better, but I was able to get a great deal on the PPP and IMHO it was price versus performance winner and money well spent.

Follow-up question regarding wiring

Thanks very much for the reply. Do you run you amp(s) off of the PP as well? I am having some construction done to the house anyway, and I was considering the possibility of running two dedicated circuits, one for the amp (probably 20 amps) and one for the rest of the system (15 amps, if used with the PP). Obviously, I am trying to avoid starving the amp by running everything on the same circuit.

I'd love to hear what others have done with respect to wiring their systems and installing power conditioners, especially the PP.

Thanks again,
Craig

If you're having the wiring work done, I'd recommend two 20-amp circuits for the amps (assuming that you might get monoblocks one day), and a 20-amp circuit for the rest.

Definately use a PPP for "the rest", but for the amps, an in-wall solution from PS Audio might work just as well (see the review in the current issue of TAS).

Running Springs

Since starting this thread earlier today, I have discovered the Running Springs power conditioners, which look like they might do the trick. I am thinking of getting one "Duke" for the amp and one "Jaco" for everything else. I would run each of these on a dedicated 20 amp circuit.

I am able to get these used at a good price, so it seems like it might be a good bet. Any further thoughts?

If you have multiple circuits feeding your equipment, make sure they are all on the same leg of the power!!!

The Power Regenerators are certainly different than just transformered, MOV'ed etc... power conditioning. I'm not aware right off, of anybody else making a regenerator other than PS Audio.

OldMonolith

Monlolith,

Can you tell me why AC phasing would matter when it comes to Audio? I have been giving it some thought and can not think of why phasing would be important. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Cherian

I'm in process of doing an audio room and I'm having two 20 amp dedicated circuits and two 15 amp dedicated circuits brought in on 10 gauge wire. I figure it may be a little over kill but only want to do this once. I using two PS Audio power ports on the 20 amp lines and two Hubbell's on the 15's.

Mark

The RSA units have been the only one I've yet used that will run a power amplifier at full throttle with no loss of dynamics with a big power amplifier.

And in addition to my Premier 350, I've run a pair of Manley 250's on one Jaco (20amp dedicated line), The McCormack DNA500, some ARC Classic 150's and a few others.

I've tried almost all of them and I still prefer RSA. It offers the lowest noise floor, best dynamics and does not affect the tonality of the music at all.

Most dealers will give you an in-home trial, so if you can, give it a listen. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Now that I've got two Descents, I'm thinking of running a third 20amp line to just run them and the CLX's off of their own separate line, just to be obsessive!

Maybe this summer if I get some spare time.

Thanks, Jeff

I am willing to take your word for it. I've found a Duke and a Jaco used at a good price, so I think I'll go for it. I'll run my McIntosh amp off of the Duke and everything else off of the Jaco, each with its own 20 amp circuit. That should do everything I want.

I have a couple of pretty good Furman power conditioners, but these will be relegated to the home theater. Music first! :music:

Report back and let us know what you hear...

I think you will be pretty excited and if you found a pair of used ones
that should be a pretty good deal!

Monlolith,

Can you tell me why AC phasing would matter when it comes to Audio? I have been giving it some thought and can not think of why phasing would be important. Am I missing something?

Thanks

Cherian

If you have DC coupled equipment, then you have a situation where the imbalance between legs tries to equalize by passing current through your equipment. And even without DC coupling you can probably create, with typical unbalanced equipment especially, situations where you open potential to add additional noise.

I looked real quick, and couldn't put my hands on a paper I know of, that talks about this situation. In professional situations, with dozens of audio connections between portions of a facility, this crossing between legs can really be a problem. (A reason transformered equipment can be really a good idea...galvanic isoloation!) But trying to analyze ground paths in a home system and it can get pretty confusing and cause instantaneous hair loss too! :confused:

OldMonolith

I own a ps audio P1000 and a premier. P1000 is far better for audio and premier is better for video. I run all of my system even the summits from P1000 and my projector the crystalio and the sat reciever from premier. Dvd also has better picture with the premier but in audio sucks... Hope i help

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. This discussion has encouraged me to learn more about power conditioning and resulted in my purchasing a pair of Running Springs products (Jaco and Duke), which should arrive tomorrow. I have no doubt the PP is a fine piece of gear, but I think the kind of power I need, especially for my amp(s), is more likely to be found elsewhere. I might eventually get a PP to use with my home theater, however. That sounds like a good match.

Back