Anyone Download DRM Free High Rez Music?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig

Reaction score
Some of may have already been aware but I just discovered that there is an store that sells high resolution digital music downloads. I found this in the '07 December Stereophile magazine and these two sites received their "Editors Choice Award". I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but it looks a good alternative to iTunes and is compatible with music servers such as the Squeezebox.

Apparently, there is a way to burn these 96kHz files to a DVD-A as long as you have the right computer program. The other nice thing about this is that they are DRM free so you can use them as you please. As long as you buy the file of course.

Has anyone used this service yet? I still prefer to buy the CD and rip it myself but these seem to be a higher resolution than the typical 44.1Kz Redbook CD.

http://www.linnrecords.com/http://www.musicgiants.com/

Craig,

I used Music Giants one time after reading about it in Tonepub's audio magazine. Maybe I did something wrong but the files I downloaded were DRM protected. I downloaded Steely Dan's Aja. I can't remember the size of the file, but I remember it was huge and took about a half hour to download. I used a WMA convert program to recode the file to MP3 format and sent it up to my music server.

All that being said, It is the best copy of Aja I own.
The background is pitch black and the bass very tight and solid.
Maybe the Chicago gang can chime in on thier thoughts of the sound quality, We played a few tracks at the last Chicago gathering at my place.

If it wasn't so time consuming to download, I'd probably try a few more.
Guess I'm just lazy.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Wayne. Aja is a CD I know well and Wayne’s high res. DL and rip to MP3 sounded very good. With DSL and Cable ISP speeds well over 5 Mbs you can DL a 600 meg file in under 30 mins. Set the DL at night and go to bed.

Back