Any experience with Vantage and AR VSi55?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stokp

Reaction score
I have just bought the Vantages and I'm really happy with it. Did have final's which where ok but I feel that the ML's are much better where it comes to integration of panel and woofer and the sweet spot is much bigger. I was very impressed with an AR VSi55 in a system with Kef reference but have not heard them with ML. Any body some experience with these amplifier or with the VS 55

I have the same question. Have you received or listened to them together?

I have just bought the Vantages and I'm really happy with it. Did have final's which where ok but I feel that the ML's are much better where it comes to integration of panel and woofer and the sweet spot is much bigger. I was very impressed with an AR VSi55 in a system with Kef reference but have not heard them with ML. Any body some experience with these amplifier or with the VS 55

The VS110 might be a better idea.Stats demand more current than box speakers.

I agree you might need a hundred watts for those panels, and using a tube amp is an excellent idea since you already get a ss woofer amp w/ the speaker anyway. The ARC VSi55 would not be my choice sonically however. I've heard them (not the 110) with a number of speakers and they have the typical dry ARC house sound. If you're going to go with tube amplification (an excellent idea with the Vantages or Summits) you should really audition a few other brands (Cary, Conrad Johnson, McIntosh) and if your budget permits (especially with tubed components) you should consider separates, since the important component to be tube is the amp, not the preamp IMO.

I have heard the power amp driving the Summits at a dealer once. He chose that ARC despite having many other options. It sounded good. If you like tubes, I really liked the BAT VK 55 and the MC 275 better. That said, I am a Solid State guy. I don't think the tubes have the grip, control, or dynamics of SS (especially the more expensive SS) for my taste.

All good advice and thoughts but eventually I actually had them demonstrated on my vantage speakers. It sounded really good with enough punch and detail (the bass is active and therefore less demanding on the amp as some have suggested). I decided to buy the VSi55 after I also compared other amplifiers in the same price range(Quad 909,99, krell 400, pathos) . I listen mainly to jazz and classic. The 55 w are enough to drive them.

ARC and MLs are a match made in heaven. You might get away with the lower power due to the powered woofers. All rooms are different. The combo may work wonders in your room. On the other hand, it might not. Only an audition will give you a definite answer. (I've been listening to ARC tubes with MLs for at least 20 years - using both preamps and amps.)

thanks all. it is really amazing how subjective this fantastic world of audio is. I am going to audition the VSi55 this weekend. I wish I could go for 2 components (pre and amp) but my budget seems a little short to cover both with good quality. I have been trying to locate a store that sells ARC online but could not find anything.
I would be ok to go for used pre or amp, not sure I feel that safe on Audiogon.
does anyone know any store with used ARC?

I would be ok to go for used pre or amp, not sure I feel that safe on Audiogon.
does anyone know any store with used ARC?
Why don't you see if you can find some ARC on Audiogon located close to you? You can then look at the goods, and listen to them too before buying. I drove 300 miles one-way, and got a couple of ARC monoblocks.

Is there a way to filter listing on Audiogon based on location? tried to do it but could not figure it out. I have been trying to find something close to me (portland OR) but it seems to be a quite spot for audiophiles audiogon.

2500 bucks will put you in a pair of used classic 120's...

A little bit warmer than the current ARC stuff. 120 watts per
channel of triode power.

The only downside to this amp is that all 8 tubes
are biased with one adjustment pot, so you will need to
replace your output tubes with matched octets.

The VT130 SE is also a nice used ARC amp that you can find
for about 3000 bucks. My local ML rep has one with his Summits
and it is quite nice too.

The Manley 250's are a great match, but a bit on the spendy side
at $9000 a pair. But they have 10 EL34's per channel and really rock out...

Good luck on the search!

Back