Any bookshelves that you guys recommend?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joey_V

Reaction score
Just as the title says, do you guys know any bookshelves that you would recommend?

I'm looking at Paradigm S4v2, BW 805, Usher 718BE so far.... but I know there's much more out there.

Just looking for any tips from you folks.

Thanks.

Joey

Yep, two "electrostatic" sounding bookshelves you've forgotton:

ProAc Tablette (there's a few, you're bound to find one to your liking) - I heard the Tablette 50 many years ago and the Tablette Reference 8 recently. They're beautiful speakers.

and my personal fave:

Audio Physic - Now there are a few also - Yara II Compact and Step. My all time favourite of the Audio Physic lineup is the Spark - but it's not a bookshelf. It could be considered a "bookshelf with built-in stands". I'd swear there's an electrostatic speaker behind that facade of cones.......

As for 'phones - there's only one choice - STAX!

Last edited:
Well you already hit on what would be MY top recommendation - the User 718BE. I've heard them a couple of times now and they just knock me out. Everything about them just sounds right to me with spot on imaging, a giant soundstage and tonal excelence. The music comes on and they just dissappear. I'll probably own a pair someday just because.

Another speaker that has always been on the top of my list is the Totem Manitou. They sound WAY bigger than they look and just exude quality. They are a little on the warm side, but throw a huge holographic image.

A new one I haven't heard, but that just got a great review and is on the cover of the latest edition of HiFi+ is the new Monitor Audio PL-100. It's sure a sexy looking speaker with the real leather front baffle (think old school Sonus Faber), has a ribbon tweeter too - so fast, electrostat type highs. I'd like to hear them myself.

Attachments

• Usher3.jpg
    Usher3.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 248
  • TotemManitou.jpg
    TotemManitou.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 204
  • PL100.jpg
    PL100.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Joey, I have a pair of Paradigm Studio 20 speakers in my living room as a second system. I have yet to hear a problem with them reproducing any of my source material. Of corse they will not go down too low, but that flaw can be easily listened around. They benefit from quality amplification and can easliy reveal the differences in amps. I currently have them connected to my old ARC VT100 III and they contiue to impress me with their clarity and muscial truth.
BTW - Paradigm is owned by the same holding company as ML!

I'm also going to add the Sonus Faber Auditor to my list... can't believe I forgot that little guy.

Now, I'm beginning to regret that I sold the pair I had coming to me back in June of 07. I remember offering it to Craig, but it went to someone on the 'gon. Should've just kept those.

:(

And Tim, yeah.. the only reason why the 718BE are on my list is because of you. I recall when you came back from RMAF and you were raving about those...

Are they rather large in person?

Last edited:
I'm also going to advocate the Ushers. Fantastic speaker for the price!

I like the Totems but ended up going with the Onix Ref 1

in a beautiful rosewood. They sound fantastic. In full

disclosure , I'm selling a pair.

I'm also going to add the Sonus Faber Auditor to my list... can't believe I forgot that little guy.

Now, I'm beginning to regret that I sold the pair I had coming to me back in June of 07. I remember offering it to Craig, but it went to someone on the 'gon. Should've just kept those.

:(

And Tim, yeah.. the only reason why the 718BE are on my list is because of you. I recall when you came back from RMAF and you were raving about those...

Are they rather large in person?

And I wish I bought those Auditors. I could use a pair for a bedroom system powered by a tube system.

The Usher line is very good and typically performs above it's price point especially in build quality.

There would be a couple of ID brands that I'd be interested in. Sierra-1s as they are supposed to measure extremely well for the $. And perhaps the Swan HiVi reference for their supposed amazing looks. :D

I'd also would want to hear some Dyn Contours, if only because I thought the towers sounded amazing...

Not "bookies" in the classic sense, but small and pack a two-fisted wallop: Thiel 1.6, anything by Monitor Audio.

~VDR

Narrowing it down...

Narrowing the field down...

As much as I like ID brands, I gotta stick with main, major brands and only because they have better resale and a larger market for resale.

Never heard the 718BE and so these are rather interesting to me. Not the best looking, but seems like the consensus is that these guys are musical ala Tim.

Have a good deal set on a pair of Paradigm S4 v2 BE, but I'm not too keen on the seller being less than friendly, plus I have not yet heard a Paradigm that I truly liked. In addition, the 3 way S4 is not universally held to be a better speaker than its 2 way and sometimes better reviewed S2 (v1 only, not read much about the new v2 BE).

However, I seem to still really want the Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor. Keeping an eye on 'gon for a fair pair. Preferably in graphite.

DANG IT... should've kept my unopened pair from last year. Stupid me.

When I was auditioning new speaks, the Dynaudio C1 was at the top of the list for me. Must have listened to those for about 3 hours and the wife really liked them for the WAF thing. But, my hearing is hyper sensitive to certain tweeters and a couple, and I mean only a couple, of recordings hurt my hears. If it wasn't for that, I think they would be in the house now.

Gordon

I can't recall the model I listened to (and this was 5+ years ago at least), but B&W made some really nice bookshelf speakers. Man they sounded terrific!

Just as the title says, do you guys know any bookshelves that you would recommend?

I'm looking at Paradigm S4v2, BW 805, Usher 718BE so far.... but I know there's much more out there.

Just looking for any tips from you folks.

Thanks.

Joey

I heard the Usher at CES and they were awesome!!! Truly great!!

I highly recommend the new KEF 201/2 Reference series monitors. Not cheap but they sound as good as my Vantages and do certain things even better. I bought them for a dedicated 2 channel system in a small room where the Vantages did not work well.

Back