Another visit to a brick and mortar store

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timm

Reaction score
Hi All....

I just wanted to communicate a really positive experience I had this weekend visiting a store in Royal Oak Michigan.... Audio Dimensions is the name of the place and Harry Francis is the owner.... First of all, I am in no way affiliated with these folks - but, I see no reason not to mention good people on this forum that do a great job...

My son and I went into the shop and Harry and Jay were sitting there BS'ing in front of a pair of Maggie 3.7s. We came in and I said 'are we having fun yet?'. Well they hopped up and wanted to see all of the music we brought in and set up the chairs. I had mentioned to Harry that I had been in 5 years prior to hear the maggie 3.6/20.1. Unfortunately, he did not have the 20.7 on hand... but, we did listen to the 3.7s for probably 2 hrs.

While sitting there, my son who is a music major and I talked with Harry and Jay extensively about music and it became apparent that both of them were extremely passionate about music...and that is a large under statement. We brought in a slew of music from Dave Mathews to Diana Krall to Mahler... and Harry popped on some of his favorites (classical) as well.

The 3.7s sounded incredible. (for background, I have ML Odysseys). As opposed to my last experience with the 3.6/20.1 series (which was a very good one) - I found the scale better on these. I found the 3.6/20.1 series to project the vocal as very large.... Some folks have described it as the size of a refridgerator.... The 3.7 did not do this... Vocal seemed spot on to me... The sound of the orchestra/symphony was - in my humble opinion and my son's - was just stunning... The texture of the strings - great...as well as the brass.... Inner detail was also fantastic. We both humbly agreed that these sounded better than my Odyssey. The Odyssey's are no slouch - but I will tell you, I think this is the first speaker I have heard that I really felt was something I would be willing to replace them with. If I get a chance to hear the 20.7 @ 13K - it is something I may have to explain to the spousal unit... :) ....
An unbelievable experience....

I will buy from these guys in the future... I would be embarrassed not to.... Thank you Harry and Jay at Audio Dimensions..... Tim.

I've always wanted to stop in and check this place out. Unfortunately, I no longer live in the RO area, so it's not so convenient. I've heard nothing but good things about this store.

Beyond Maggies, What else are they dealers for?

I've always wanted to stop in and check this place out. Unfortunately, I no longer live in the RO area, so it's not so convenient. I've heard nothing but good things about this store.

Beyond Maggies, What else are they dealers for?

Well they had vandersteens , ARC , think i saw vpi and oracle tables , cambridge and i saw some esoteric players as well i also saw a pair of Quads - either the 2800 or 2900 series

The room isnt that wide but they make do with it

I need to make some time and check them out. I'm sure it will be worth my drive. I just wish I had more disposable income to spend.....

I need to make some time and check them out. I'm sure it will be worth my drive. I just wish I had more disposable income to spend.....

Yes... I hear you about that one.... Just moved to a new house and had to get it 'right'.... I have space for a nice listening room - but need to put up the drywall etc....

My son who is now officially an addict - has really got the 'jones' now... He wants to get the MMGs for 595 and would like to get a used tube integrated (I thought maybe a primaluna might be a sweet combo). he listens to classical and jazz - if you can believe that!! He is studying composition for symphony....

To make matters worse.... he really wants me to go get the 20.7 after hearing the 3.7s... I get texts... 'just do it dude'.... now the justification committee starts...and man am I good at it!! :)

Wish there was a brick and mortar store near me. I have to buy everything that's not Sony based on internet reviews and recommendations.

I get texts... 'just do it dude'.... now the justification committee starts...and man am I good at it!! :)

Good luck! As my kids get older and cost more money my spousal negotiation skills (which have deminshed over 16 years of marriage) require maximum effort.

Back