Another question - Monolith vs. Vantage

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just asked a question about the Vantage/Summit vs. Odyssey's I had. I was planning on picking up the Vantage or Summits.

A good deal just popped up on Monolith III's. How do older panels like this compare to the newer ones like the Vantage? I've got a 400sqft room with 10' ceiling, so space is not an issue. I'm prepared to spend the $$ on new ML's, but if the large, older technology will get me close, I'll save the money for the upstream components I still need to buy.

Thanks again.

I just asked a question about the Vantage/Summit vs. Odyssey's I had. I was planning on picking up the Vantage or Summits.

A good deal just popped up on Monolith III's. How do older panels like this compare to the newer ones like the Vantage? I've got a 400sqft room with 10' ceiling, so space is not an issue. I'm prepared to spend the $$ on new ML's, but if the large, older technology will get me close, I'll save the money for the upstream components I still need to buy.

Thanks again.

Hey there "supercharger", check your original post, for there I asked you about your 'upstream' componentry. Yes you need to budget them into the equation. IMO, the Monolith's will get you close, at best. I'm curious........ given you wants, needs, what is your budget ??

Yes, I saw that comment. The components are going to cost me the same no matter which set of speakers I go with. I won't go ultra high end, but decent amps like Bryston or Sunfire. So, it all comes down to how much I want to spend/save on the speakers. I want to be happy with the speakers, I just don't know how far down the "law of diminishing returns" path I want to go. Like I said, I was happy with the Odysseys. Anything at that level or better will make me happy. Anything less than what I am used to will not. Somehow I have to decide where older Monolith III's or new Vantage/Summit fit in to that equation.

Brent

Hi Brent,

I can't help you with a comparison but be warned - the Monoliths may well not be a bargain. They may well require panel replacement and woofer refurbishment. Also they require some fairly high power amplification to work well.

I am a very happy Monolith owner bought as demos but I would be pretty careful purchasing a pair these days.

Kevin

Back