Another newbie question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolz

Reaction score
Has anybody have any experience with Emotiva amps-either the XPA-2 or 3? If so, what was your opinion. Would be using with Spires. Also, I need a cable recommendation.

Last edited:
Hi Coolz,

Can't help you with the amp question but I do know several guys have the Emo here. Give it a few days and they may chime in.

You'll find out that if you hang here long enough, wire debates are usually not the knock down drag out fights you're more than likely to find at other places.

There are many flavors of wire as I'm sure you know. What are you looking for in a wire? IC or speaker? What are you using for the front end? You need to help us out a little bit by letting us know what you have, music type, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Believe me, there are many helpful people here and many of them have steered me in the right direction.

BTW, Welcome!

Gordon

Speaker wire

Thanks for the welcome. I have to get used to being more specific. I will be listening to mostly contemporary jazz, easy listening-james taylor and some rock-dave matthews. I have a Marantz SR6003 receiver and Marantz SA8003 SACD. Spires for the front and Motif for the center. Things can be really confusing for somebody new. Room is 24x18 with average ceiling and wood floors with leather sofa and area rug. Don't have an amp yet as I won't be getting the speakers for about a week. Looking for some recommendations for amp. Really appreciate all the help. :bowdown:

Last edited:
From what I understand, the Emotiva amps are made in the same OEM factory in China as the current batch of Sunfire amps, and they share a similar design.

I've only heard one Emotiva setup,and it was not driving Martin Logans. I believe it was driving some Focals, and they sounded pretty good, for "cone" speakers...

--Richard

Coolz, that helps a bit. Our music tastes run along the same lines. When I was newb to ML, (not that I'm a veteran like some here)I did some research and decided to try Mapleshades speaker wires. In my opinion, a good cable to bring out the the highs and most importantly, the mids. Gordon G may back this up shortly!

MS has a lot of bling and some unbelievable statements at their site but I ended up going with all MS IC's for quite awhile. http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/index.php

Gordon

As far as the amp question: What is your budget?

amp

My amp budget would be between $1000.00 and $1500.00. I only planned to get the Vantages but when I heard the Spires I could'nt resist and decided to spend the extra money. I will be upgrading the amp in about six months to a year.

Reply to COOLZ

:(:eek:

Mr COOLZ in response to your question about Emotiva products, I cannot recommend them for Martin logan products. I just finished purchasing/returning the XPA-3 "supercharger" and was not impressed. I was using it to power my center (theater i) and two fronts (clarity i ) with less than stellar results. I am currently running them with my Harman Kardon AVR 7000 (120 watts/channel) and does it effortlessly. The XPA-3 gave my speakers a hollow "thud" on the bass notes while the AVR produced a precise, controlled, thump with linear decay. As for the high notes, the XPA-3 produced stale, scratchy results while the AVR 7000 produced the "airy" yet invisible three dimensional environment electrostats are known for. I hate to post negative reviews but this is my honest opinion. You are here for one reason, because you have ML electrostats. These are peculiar speakers that are finnicky and require some experimentation, but when a sweetspot is found using the proper equipment, there is nothing left but to sit back and enjoy the fruits of what many hard working minds have put together for us. I hate to ramble on but remember that we work hard for our money, and if I can save someone at least one penny, and some heartache, I will!!

Latest posts

Back