Amp for Aerius

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigaudiofanatic

Reaction score
Looking to get a new amp soon to feed my hungry babies.

Looking at a Carver A-500x, would this be enough amp for my ML's? Or recommendation for a amp under 500 would be great. :rocker:

You'll have to try and find what one you like. All I can say is that cutting corners is a big "NO-NO". It'll only get you into an endless upgrade cycle. If you're not totally happy, don't proceed.

I have read great things about these amps and also a B&K one as well. Just trying to get some opinions about them. I am taking steps slowly to upgrade over time.

Looking to get a new amp soon to feed my hungry babies.

Looking at a Carver A-500x, would this be enough amp for my ML's? Or recommendation for a amp under 500 would be great. :rocker:

Not sure if you can nab them under $500, but take a look at Sunfire amps. Gobs and gobs of current and they stay ice cold even when playing at high levels.

Erik

If you have the budget, try a used Krell amp - they are wonderful with older ML speakers! Just try to get as much good quality power as you can afford because our speakers require alot more power down to 1 or 2 ohms than the current generation ML's! I am using the Krell KSA 300S wich outputs 300w x 2 into 8 ohms and up to 1200w for each speaker into 2 ohm, and double that into 1 ohm... All in a brute 200lb package! Do not sacrifice on the amp !!!

You don't need to spend a fortune. Try a used Bryston B-60.

Our amps go down to 2 ohms? I highly doubt that, from what I have read they can run fine on 8 ohm receivers but they recommend a 4 ohm amp because thats what they really run at.

Was looking at the Emotiva XPA-2

I use the Sunfire 7-channel 400W/Ch amp for my Spires and they sound incredible and have no problems dipping to 1 ohm or less ...and are cool running to boot!

Guys, just a little note: The impedance of ML is where we have the most musical info safe for most any amplifier on these days. The lower impedance is only at very high frequency, over 18KHz, where there is not to much info in any cd format. Yes I know it is there, but I assure you this is not important. Better is quality watts instead quantity watts. Many of our beloved recordings, the mics that are used do not have a frequency response over 17KHz, and if it is not at the mic, who cares the 20KHz? I am not going to start a discussion here if we can listen 20KHz or not... just as an example, the FM broadcast for stereo signal has a 38KHz encoded signal, and the pilot light is on when the 19KHz frequency is present (Half of the 38kHz). There is a filter for broadcast that limits the frequency response not over 18KHz...and many of us are thrilled of the sound of some of our broadcast stations. Trust your ears, get the amp that you liked most. There are may options with the right budget for you there. Be patience, and it will be rewarded for sure... happy listening.

Back