Akai

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Theriot

Reaction score
Aquired an Akai GX 266 D from a garage sale and know nothing about it ? The unit is in excelent shape, VERY well cared for and i would like to record some of my records to tape. Also in the purchase was about 100 tapes all prerecorded some i dont care for but some are noteworthy like the radio broadcast of the space landing. Dont mind recording over some stuff but dont want to destroy some classics! Would like to buy some new tape, but need to know more details before i get into this project! Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated

Here's a link to a tape manufacturer...http://atrtape.com/product-category/quarter-inch-master-tape/
Look on ebay for a tape head degausser, if you don't already have one. I just recently gave my Akai degausser to a friend, else I'd have sent it to you. Does the GX 266 have built in Dolby? If not, you should be able to buy an outboard unit for really cheap. It will reduce tape hiss to a minimum. If you want to go all in on silent background, I liked dbx, which will give you up to a 90db signal to noise ratio.

You might want to have the heads and the electronics checked out by a trusted electronics repair person. Any caps may be going bad by now and better safe than sorry. If you want to go whole hog, there are specialty firms that update tape decks to outstanding performance levels.

Most of all, have fun!

Back