Affordable Turntable options

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, thanks for all the helpful advice guys. I just recently stumbled across the musicdirect site while Googleing some of the previous suggestions
They seem to have a pretty large selection. I will do more research on the units mentioned before making a decision on which direction to take.

well it's how you define "entry level". personally i think that you'll do a lot better with vintage for entry level. a Thorens in good shape start at a few hundred, and give you lots of good listening. for me anything with a price less than 4 figures (with the first figure not being a 1) is entry level.

That´s true. For me the entry level is, like you said anything with a price less than 4 figures and I don´t count vintage rig to this. Usually when someone asks for a first TT they are not ready to spent more than few hundreds and vintage is out of question. But when it comes to vintage TT´s you could easily get high end TT with less money and with little modifications. (And then there is "how you define high end :D )

Well I think you got the point...

I agree with Dave and Todd. If you haven't got a large record collection, forget it. Whilst vinyl can sound amazing it isn't because it is technically better. Digtal can sound amazing too.

I also agree that a vintage TT will give the best sonic results for, let's face it, very low buck outlay - provided you choose the right one!

However, Todd is massively incorrect in asserting that a top digital front end is as desirable as a over-engineered super-TT. No contest there - a gorgeous TT wins every time!:)

However, Todd is massively incorrect in asserting that a top digital front end is as desirable as a over-engineered super-TT. No contest there - a gorgeous TT wins every time!:)

In the "work of art" category, absolutely - I am indeed massively incorrect about that.

I'm still not as convinced as the lot of you TTers that surface noise, lower channel separation, lower SNR, media wear, RIAA, the black art of cartridge loading, and just dragging a rock through a wavey plastic groove is really worth all the fuss - but I will say there is something ineffable about the sound of an uber-engineered TT setup that can light up the soul. The last one I heard (maybe a year ago in San Jose) was an Oracle Delphi, don't recall the cartridge, playing through a pair of Quad 2905s - some well recorded Sonny Rollins - maybe I cried a little :)

In the "work of art" category, absolutely - I am indeed massively incorrect about that.

I'm still not as convinced as the lot of you TTers that surface noise, lower channel separation, lower SNR, media wear, RIAA, the black art of cartridge loading, and just dragging a rock through a wavey plastic groove is really worth all the fuss - but I will say there is something ineffable about the sound of an uber-engineered TT setup that can light up the soul. The last one I heard (maybe a year ago in San Jose) was an Oracle Delphi, don't recall the cartridge, playing through a pair of Quad 2905s - some well recorded Sonny Rollins - maybe I cried a little :)

The latest Delphi with the top Graham arm and Lyra Titan does work very well. But yeah, vinyl really click does pop struggle snap sometimes.

Listening to an Accustic Arts Tube DAC II SE at zee moment, by strict order of the Nazi Gruppenführer. Pretty extrodinary case for digital IMHO.

Todd, I get that you have an issue with surface noise, etc, but lower channel separation? How do you hear that? And RIAA? Unless you are one of the fortunate ones who can afford an ARC Ref Phono II, that's something you do not think about.

I agree with Dave that unless you are old like him, with a substantial vinyl collection, I would think twice about getting into vinyl. That said, I cannot forget the thrill (nod to Steve) on finding on vinyl in Montreal a piece of music I had been seeking for a very long time; it never made it to CD.

I agree with Dave that unless you are old like him, with a substantial vinyl collection,

Now wait a second Bernard ........I resemble that remark !

I cannot forget the thrill (nod to Steve) on finding on vinyl in Montreal a piece of music I had been seeking for a very long time; it never made it to CD.

Therein lies but 'one' of the joys of analog, good point Bernard !

Todd, I get that you have an issue with surface noise, etc, but lower channel separation? How do you hear that? And RIAA? Unless you are one of the fortunate ones who can afford an ARC Ref Phono II, that's something you do not think about.

Just having some fun Bernard... picking on specs and EQ functions that are known to be less than ideal with analog playback.
In the end, a great TT setup is a wonderful thing - I'm not a hater, just a non-adopter :)

The latest Delphi with the top Graham arm and Lyra Titan does work very well. But yeah, vinyl really click does pop struggle snap sometimes.

Listening to an Accustic Arts Tube DAC II SE at zee moment, by strict order of the Nazi Gruppenführer. Pretty extrodinary case for digital IMHO.

So this DAC has your Achtung baby? Better than vinyl? ;)

Anytime George - glad you liked the link. And good to see you on the site.

Lance
Thanks, I was lead back here by a mod someone did, seems to be the same old place.

The classic turntable route is a good one, and one I'm considering myself. I plan to build an artsy designer-ish plinth mostly for aesthetics but to also to see what kind of a sound difference it makes.

Just to update, I picked up an ELAC Miracord 50H from a coworker. His Dad bought it new and has taken very good care of it. Here are a couple pic of it without the wood dust cover:
5e9etesa.jpg

qe6umy6y.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the link. I'll check into that. I do need a manual for it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE using Tapatalk 2

Back