Aerius acoustic backing

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Happened to be surfing the Acoustic Sciences website, and noticed they have some leftover acoustic "back boxes" for the Aerius' on clearance. I read positive comments about these years ago, and was contemplating buying a pair when I owned the Aerius i's. They supposedly improve imaging, particularly when you're forced to have your Aerius' closer to the front wall than optimal. $325/pr is a pretty good price, but I bet they'd sell 'em for even less!

For anybody interested, here's the link (scroll down to middle of page)...
http://www.acousticsciences.com/clearance/clearance.htm

Attachments

• aerius-backbox (Small).jpg
    aerius-backbox (Small).jpg
    15 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
There was a discussion about these on this site a couple of years ago, I haven't found the thread yet.....

Alan, good find. Those should be of interest to any Aerius owner, as they allow different placements than the traditional.

As you saw a week ago, I have a pair of foam wedges (Auralex corner traps, simple cut foam) sitting on the rear deck of my Monoliths.

While measuring the Triac effects, I decided to also measure the effect of the foam.
So I placed the mic 10cm from the panel, at mid point of the foam block behind.

The I took measurements without (blue line) and with (red line).

As you can see in this impulse response graph, the foam has some impact at 1 ms, and a significant impact at 6ms. The 6ms spike that’s gone is the wall bounce from behind the speaker. Since the foam absorbs the bounced energy, it’s much smother.

Attachments

• Monolith10cmNoFoamFoamImpulse.jpg
    Monolith10cmNoFoamFoamImpulse.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 571
In this frequency response view of the same measurement, you can see the slightly smoother mid-bass with the foam. The mid and treble is also slightly smoother due to the absence of interference from the wall bounce.

In practice, this is all barely audible, but I know I’ve preferred to have them there. So it’s good to see there actually is something measurable.

Attachments

• Monolith10cm_NoFoam_FoamFreq.jpg
    Monolith10cm_NoFoam_FoamFreq.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 570
Kruppy, I’m sure you are right, as I also recall a conversation about this many moons ago.

The Aerius back box should totally limit the rear wave cancellation effect of the dipole radiation, so it should have much improved mid-bass.
Likewise, the highs should be cleaner, as the rear wave wall bounce will be mitigated.

Now, the question is: does the total enclosure of the rear wave mass-load the panel in some funky way that might secondary effects on frequency response?

I would assume they left some room for a pseudo-reflex port in the rear bottom.

Back