Advices for ML Aerius

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mgm31

Hi,

I'm newbie and plan to buy a second hand ML Aerius.

They are 8 years old and I have a CJ MV50 to drive it.

Do you think this amp is able to do a good job ?

Is the "i" version better than the fist one ?

Is it necessary to replace the "cell" :)confused: don't know the english word) ? What is the cost for this replacement ? How can check it ?

Thanks for your help for my first contact to ML speakers ;)

Hi,

Is it necessary to replace the "cell" :)confused: don't know the english word) ? What is the cost for this replacement ? How can check it ?

By cell do you mean the electrostatic panel?

I heard a pair of aerius i with conrad-johnson gear and it sounded great.

Hi,

The Conrad-Johnson should be fine. There are many of us here using far more modest amplifiers!

The "i" version is technically better as it has a lower crossover and a couple of other benefits, however I don't think it is sufficient to buy an "i" version over a standard one because of that alone - buy the one in best condition!

The panels last for varying time depending on environmental pollution. Be sure not to buy one from a smoker! You can check when the panel was replaced by looking up the serial number identification chart on this website. If the panel has been looked after, not from a smoking house and vacuumed regularly it could last upwards of 10 years and maybe 20 years. If it has been abused then you might have to change it after 5 years. The best way to tell is by listening - you will hear a high-frequency drop off if the panel is on its way out. Also listen to the panel closely to ensure it is producing sound over its entire surface.

This is by no means complete, but hope it helps!

I believe that Aerius i panel replacements are $375 or thereabouts... Here in the USA, we can call ML directly and order the panel replacements, but I believe since you are overseas you may have to order them from your local ML dealer. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks all guy for this very fast and precious reply.

I have now to show them to my wife, the WAF factor is not very good :rolleyes:

Merci et bonjour à la Suisse !

Serial number are AEFB530 and 531

I tried this afternoon on my CJ MV50.

Very nice sound : ESL are great

But very disapointed by lacking of treble. 2 friends have the same opinion.
Sound is not distorted.

Is this a sign of "quite dead" panel ? Or my CJ is not able to drive low impedance on high frequencies ?

Thanks for your help

Based on the serial number chart, your pair were manufactured 2/94. I have a pair of Aerius i's manufactured 2000, and I can attest they still sound fantastic, with crystalline highs.

Before considering panel replacement, I would carefully vacuum the Stat panels (after leaving them unplugged for 24 hrs to dissipate their charge). If that doesn't improve the highs, I would next consider removing the panels and "washing" them as explained elsewhere in this forum (you'll need to do a search).

If they still sound bad, the panels were probably poorly cared for (smoker?), and at the end of their life, requiring replacement.

The Aerius' offered one of the best balanced designs of the (pre-Summit/Vantage) ML line, and are certainly worth salvaging. In fact, I just recently heard my Aerius i's driven with a tube amp, and they sounded SWEET!

Good luck!

Back