Advice on what to do about old sequel 2

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rlinden

Reaction score
I have an old pair of sequel 2. one speaker has a loose connection and I have to 'shake it' for it to go on. The speakers are from 1993. I am debating replacement or repair. I certainly need to check the connections. May need new panels etc. Is it worth trying a repair, or is it time to 'move-on'? I have really enjoyed these speakers. What current speakers would be equivalent? Any advice?

I have an old pair of sequel 2. one speaker has a loose connection and I have to 'shake it' for it to go on. The speakers are from 1993. I am debating replacement or repair. I certainly need to check the connections. May need new panels etc. Is it worth trying a repair, or is it time to 'move-on'? I have really enjoyed these speakers. What current speakers would be equivalent? Any advice?

I would contact ML support and ask about repair costs. My guess is that you'd spend a few hundred on shipping and another $100-$200 on repair (depending on the problem). They may be able to walk you through a diagnosis on the phone, and if you are handy with electrical gear, you may be able to fix it yourself.

If you are looking at new speakers, do you want to stay with the house sound you are familiar with now, or try out the newer line (vista, vantage, summit, spire, etc)? The new line exhibits a slightly different sound and you may, or may not, like it.

If you are unopposed to buying used gear you should be able to get a sweet deal on any of the vista, vantage or summit. As Gordon said, it depends on the your budget. You can usually find the quest z, SL3, and aeon i on audiogon as well.

Erik

I probably would buy new. The panels have never been replaced and I believe they will be about 600. Hopefully the connector problem will just require soldering. If I buy new, I would be in the 6,000-7000 range. It seems like the life expectancy of these speakers is about 15 years and if I redo the panels and connections, I don't know how long I can expect them to work and still produce clean sound. If I repair them, I would prefer to get it done here and not send them back. I would like to find someone in Phoenix who has worked on ML's. Know anyone? Is the sound on the current models a lot different then the old models?

For panels and subs it will be under grand. I purchased my sequels in 1988 and just rebuilt them last week myself. Pretty Simple to do if you are handy with small tools.

I love my speakers!

Can you break down exactly what you replaced and the cost. I assume you got the parts from ML. Any instructions or advice if I try to do it myself.

From what I understand panel replacement is relatively straight forward. A loose connection could be another story, but it may very well be a simple re-soldering a few wires and you are good to go.

I would say new panels get you another 15 years easily assuming a clean, non-smoking environment.

Looks like the Vantage and Ethos are well within your price range should you elect to buy new.

Yes, the new line displays a different sound vs what you have now. If you are going to drop upwards of $7000, I highly recommend a visit to the store (bring your music!) and give them a good, long, listen.

I have listened to both the Vista and Vantage and really like them (I am an aerius i owner myself).

Erik

I worked with Dana at ML service, good guy and great instructions. If you are going to rebuild the Sequels you will need to act quick, it is my understanding they will stop supporting them after the first of the year.

I purchased the panels for 600.00 and subs for 260.00.

Replacing the subs are pretty straight forward the panels are a little more technical but simple to do with the supplied instructions. The work took me all of three hours and it would have been shorter but the new panels wire was short so I had to cut the old panels wire and make the connection there rather then following the instruction and re-solider them to the board.

I see you are in Phoenix, I am in Scottsdale and willing to help should you choose to rebuild.

I did the rebuild in about two weeks ago so I am still breaking the new components in. But so far I am delighted with how they are performing.

Prior to the rebuild I listen to various speakers from ML and Theil. For my money and old ears I decided to stick with the Sequel.

Sig

I worked with Dana at ML service, good guy and great instructions. If you are going to rebuild the Sequels you will need to act quick, it is my understanding they will stop supporting them after the first of the year.

Sig

I recently posted asking if I should get new panels for my ReQuest, even though they work fine right now, because I read on this board a while ago they would stop making the panels. I got a reply saying that ML changed their mind and will keep making them. Now I read your reply and you say they will stop making them. What is really going on?

I recently posted asking if I should get new panels for my ReQuest, even though they work fine right now, because I read on this board a while ago they would stop making the panels. I got a reply saying that ML changed their mind and will keep making them. Now I read your reply and you say they will stop making them. What is really going on?

My sequels are circa 1988, I was informed they would stop supporting my particular speaker in the very near future. Not sure about your ReQuest. call
dana in service and he will proably have a solid answer for you.

My sequels are circa 1988, I was informed they would stop supporting my particular speaker in the very near future. Not sure about your ReQuest. call
dana in service and he will proably have a solid answer for you.

Thanks, yes, I will definitely have to call Dana.

I purchased new stats for my SQL2 last year (as well as the overly priced newer style woofers - even Jim Powers said they were overpriced since the original manufacturer no longer made them)

I mentioned to Jim that I was thinking of getting the stats for the ReQuests at that time (I think I told him just in case they go up in price, which they DID by QUITE a bit from the year before! Or maybe I just told him in case they are no longer made) he just told me I should just get them when i need them.

I have no desire at all to ever replace the ReQuests. In fact, I plan to refinish them in either piano gloass black or real wood veneer. I'll wait till I purchase my new home first to see how it'll look with the rest of the room/furniture.

I think I'll just end up getting them now, just to be on the safe side in case they decide to stop production with out my knowledge.

I have a pair of Sequel IIs with newer panels but original woofers. What led you to change out the woofers and what difference in sound did you notice once replaced?

I have a pair of Sequel IIs with newer panels but original woofers. What led you to change out the woofers and what difference in sound did you notice once replaced?

I purchased the SQ2's used and they came with mismatched woofers. At least they looked different (flat dust cap on one, curved on the other), but I think Jim Power's (who I ordered the replacements at ML) told me they're both ML woofers used for the SQL2's and one of them was a replacement (I can't remember exactly what he told me). The ones I got use an aluminum cone instead of the paper cones, and have agrayish/silver color to them with Martin Logan "M" (or is it "ML" symbol on them.

I don't do critical listening with them like I do with my ReQuests (in my 2 Ch system). SQL2's are in my HT system where I use a sub. Some say the originals sound better. I also wouldn't know how to compare them because i never listened to them with everything the same but the woofers (I replaced the woofers and the panels at the same time). But I'm very happy with them.

If there's nothing wrong with your woofers, and they look the same, I would just keep what you got.

I also have a pair of Sequel IIs from 1991.

Here's what I did last October, phoned ML, talked to Jim and made the following upgrades:

New SL3 pairs $650
AC Board upgrade with sensing wires (so the panels will be collecting less dust in idle), $190

Plus $50 freight the total is $890.

Back then the woofers were ridiculously expensive, 340 each or so. Even Jim didn't suggest buying those... So I bought a pair of Vifa woofers (which I believe is also used on SL3) from a Canadian vendor.

My only complaint is the vifa woofer. I guess being too cheap is not good at all. :(

Here's a question. I have a pair of Gershman X1s set up next to my Sequel IIs I have been switching back and forth, I biwire using two sperate runs would it be possible to wire the highs to the Sequel panels and the lows to the bass connections of the Gershmans without causing a problem?

I also have a pair of Sequel IIs from 1991.

Here's what I did last October, phoned ML, talked to Jim and made the following upgrades:

New SL3 pairs $650
AC Board upgrade with sensing wires (so the panels will be collecting less dust in idle), $190

Plus $50 freight the total is $890.

Back then the woofers were ridiculously expensive, 340 each or so. Even Jim didn't suggest buying those... So I bought a pair of Vifa woofers (which I believe is also used on SL3) from a Canadian vendor.

My only complaint is the vifa woofer. I guess being too cheap is not good at all. :(

My wofers were less thant $340, but still over priced (as Jim mentioned to me) at I thin $250 each? I can't remember exactly how much. I wish I read more about it on this board so I would've bought an alternative.

At the same time, I also ordered the power supply like the ones you described. And I was suprised that, just like I had 2 different woofers, I already had 2 different power supplies.

I also tried to get a new capacitor for each speaker. I read on these boards about 5 years ago that its a cheap tweak (or rather maintenance fix) but neither I nor Jim could remember what that was all about. Does anyone recall exactly which cap it is? I think I read the tweak section in regards to the ReQuests.

So yeah, replacing all of this cost quite a bit. But think about it. If you sold the speakers without fixing it, you won't get anything really for them. If you spend the $700-1400 (depending on what you replace - at least replace the panels, which is REALLY all you need to make it sound right), you're getting pretty much a NEW set of speakers for a lower price than the retail price! (SQL 3 reatiled at $3400 in 1995) And with inflation (and as we've seen all the ML speakers sky-rocketed in price over the last few years) I would roughly estimate them retailing $5-6K easily. Unless you want something smaller in size, and you really REALLY like the newer ML sound better (from the newer speakers, and not everyone likes the newer sound), and you like the newer style better, then I really think it's a no-brainer to get them fixed instead of spending a lot more money for something that sound just as good (...but of course sounds "different"...)

Well stated Peter, I was thinking of selling mine until i stared listening and pricing speakers. I listened to ML as well as Thiel and walked away with a big fat smile on my face and said my Sequels with some new components will keep me happy for another 22 years.

Back