Advice on Theos vs Vantage and proper amplification

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LVM

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm a new Martin Logan owner, but already with the upgradeitis virus. I am using a pair of Puritys (or Purities, don´t know how to spell it) as my fronts, and I´m thinking of moving up in the chain. My options are a pair of Vantage or the new Theos, and I´m undecided on which one would be better.
I understand the Vantage´s woofer stage is powered and it goes down a bit more (to 34Hz vs 43Hz of the Theos), but I also own a Grotto i so that should cover the low range. On the other hand, the Theos´panel is larger (44" vs 40¨), it probably has newer technology and it gives me more flexibility for future amplification options, like properly biamping the woofers with solid state and the medium and high range with valves, or any combination as it is completely passive. For now, I will amplify it with a Mcintosh MC150, a bit old but sturdy and stable at 150w.
So I have several questions for you gents wise in all Martin Logan: Do you think my current amp will be enough to drive the Theos? Do you think the new tech of the Theos could trump the tried and true Vantage (assuming decent amplification is given)? What are your thoughts on the whole scheme? Is there really a positive difference by having a taller panel of the Theos? Unfortunately I can´t audition them as I am based in Mexico city and there is no stock in here, everything has to be ordered in advance...
Many thanks for all your comments!

Hola. Si quieres puedes enviarme un PV y conversar un poco más sobre ML. Tengo 23 años de estar con ellos acá en Costa Rica. No veo ningún inconveniente con utilizar en los Theos tu amplificador. Un abrazo fraterno desde CR,
Roberto.

Back