Advice needed for new HT set-up

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThomasCT

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My name is Thomas and I'm new to this forum. My wife and I are building a new home with a dedicated HT (20x20) on the second floor. I'm current owner of two ML Fresco's and a Grotto and looking forward to upgrade some equipment in the process. For video, I selected the Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES projector and 133” Solar HD screen from SI. For surrounds, I’m looking at a 5.1 set-up with Theos for fronts, Stage for center, ceiling mount Helos 100 for rears, and Grotto for sub. For equipment, I’m thinking about getting a Marantz SR7005 receiver to run Center, Rears, Sub directly and use its pre-amp outs to run the Theos via existing B&K ST125.2 amp.

Also I had all the wirings routed to an AV closet 15 feet away hoping to centralize all the electronics and use Irule or Control4 for automation. The HT contractor ran 16/2 speaker cables to 5 locations and a RG6 for the sub. I would like to use these to run the ML's if possible.

Your thoughts on the set-up.

Thanks,

Thomas

Hi,

Great proposed set up. You've obviously done your homework. Just a thought. Had you considered keeping the Frescos and using them as surrounds instead? The Frescos are very good speakers in their own right - maybe a better choice than the Helos.

Thomas, :welcome: to the forum.

Nice choice of gear, should do very nicely.

One item to note however are the proportions of your dedicated room, a square is the absolute worst configuration acoustically, so if you have any option to modify the layout into something acoustically more 'friendly' you will get to enjoy your nice gear much more.

Looks at our room acoustics subsection for discussion about room dimensions.

Thanks for the comments. Jonathan brought up a point that I forgot to mention. We didn't know about the acoustic problems of square room until it's too late to make changes. My plan is to treat the room with acoustic panels but will need help with determining size and placement. I'll read up the subsection as suggested.

As much I enjoy the Fresco's, I may have to leave them behind along with the wall mount LCD when we sell the house.

Back