Upgrade Advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

codesx100

Reaction score
So I need some advice on what to upgrade next in my system. I just got a new Focus and replaced my ESL-C. (Worth every penny). I am not sure where to go next. I have some old equipment including the ESL-C to sell/Trade-In to help but I not sure where to go next. I was considering another amp. Either another used Emotiva monoblock even their new PA-1 for the center channel or a Parasound a52+ for all my channels. Also considering changing my sub for either of the ML Balancedforce subs or working on upgrading the Theos. Just want to get some recommendations current set up is in my signature.

The only area's that are lacking IMO is I think i need a dipole sealed sub for better matching bass and I fell like i need to switch the EM-ESLs in to FX2s in my system. The EMs were great as fronts but the way they are as rear channels sometimes i feel like i miss some effect sounds. (this could be due to placement).

Any advice if possible would be appreciated.

How is your room (acoustically speaking), perhaps additional / improved treatments ?

I have not started with any acoustical treatments, being a 10'x10' room I'm not entirely sure what route to go with that. i'm wondering if some panels can make a large improvement or even some stands for the front L/R.

10'x10' is small and being square is even worse. Room treatments are a must IMO

I will def start looking to room treatments then and see what i can do. I appreciate the help!

Thanks for the recommendation guys! I'm definitely going to invest into some room treatment. I believe I've heard of acoustimac before and all good things. So I will start there!

They are great to work with.. When u go on their website, a chat window will pop up (it's usually Eric). Talk to him about your room and get some ideas.. They are very helpful.

I have not started with any acoustical treatments, being a 10'x10' room I'm not entirely sure what route to go with that. i'm wondering if some panels can make a large improvement or even some stands for the front L/R.

Your room and associated challenges sound just like a room I set up a few years ago and wrote up this thread to document how I applied room treatments to deal with it: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?17591-Media-room-%96-quad-ML-sub-setup

One thing I am still planning to do, and recommend you consider, is to treat the front wall as well. I will likely repeat the 'hang a rug' thing again. Cheap, effective, and looks good.
My other thought is to custom-design and build a combo of cabinet, TV support, custom speakers (think mini-Monorays) and treatments that would pretty much cover 9' width and about the same tall. Not cheap, not easy, but really cool.

Several years on, I can state that the quality of the sound is pretty amazing given the constraints. Now that I replaced the plasma with a 65" OLED (LG C9), upgraded the receiver to a Denon X3600, and added Atmos modules to the front, the downstairs HT is not quite getting the workout it used to see. We mostly use this media room for weeknight TV watching, but a few 4K HDR movies have been spun, and that OLED is magnificent. Audio with Atmos is pretty good too.

I do need to go take some measurements and update that thread. :D

JonFo, I will have to go through that thread later seems like your room size at that time is extremely similar to mine. I do want to invest into some paneling for my current space but also take with me when I get a house in a few years with a dedicated area for my system.

My overall issue is when I first listened to Martin Logans about four years ago, my father (who sadly passed a few years ago) and I were completely amazed by what we heard. The place we were at put Money by Pink Floyd on I believe it was either a Ethos or Montis, with Simaudio's most current moon integrated with cd player at that time. it totally made every other speaker we listen to sound like garbage from both entry level stuff to things like B&W 800s. I ended up with the EM-ESLs for a while and then when I finished college I bought a pair of Theos . Both of which sound amazing and really close to that other system but I just can't seem to get to equal what I heard that one day.

I am curious if proper sound paneling is going get me to that point or until I get to something like ethos/Montis/11a I am not going to reach that point

Back