Adding to the CLS love fest...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbanger

Reaction score
I've had my CLS IIzs for about two months and they continue to thrill and amaze me. I was just listening to Ivan Moravec play the Chopin Nocturnes on an old Connoisseur Society LP and it nearly brought tears to my eyes. I've had a lot of speakers come through my room but the only ones in my experience that have come close to eliciting that sort of a response are the Magnepan MG 3.6/R, but I think the CLSs still better them. I feel honored to own them...

<a href="http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2338/2369959202_4d1a71502a_b.jpg">System Pic</a>

Welcome to the joy.

Your link didn't work, so I copied and pasted it in. Here is the pic.

Attachments

• bigbanger.jpg
    bigbanger.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 255
Is that a Hovland preamp? You don't see too many of them here, even though they are supposed to be really good.

Wardsweb, thanks, I messed up the link the first time around but I think I've fixed it now.

Is that a Hovland preamp? You don't see too many of them here, even though they are supposed to be really good.

Yup, that's a Hovland HP-100 with moving-coil stepup. I've had it for several years and haven't felt the urge to move on to something else, so it must be doing something right :D

Very nice set up. Get them up on some stands about 8 inches and you will be amazed. I will have mine done next week I hope. They are 8 inches high and are metal powder coated with a small footprint but very stable with a full rear support. They will be the "SCHNIZZEL";)

Get them up on some stands about 8 inches and you will be amazed.

i've had issues with the imaging from my CLS being a bit high, do the benefits of raising the CLS outweigh the effects of the image being lifted?

Stands will help ,but you will have to re adjust the speakers. The rake needs to be completely vertical. The toe needs to be as little as posible. NOW ! Take each room into consideration. Size DOES MATTER in rooms with CLS. If you have a small room , and you do near field listening you may have to adjust things. I still think stands will help with the right tweaking !

i've had issues with the imaging from my CLS being a bit high, do the benefits of raising the CLS outweigh the effects of the image being lifted?

Much like C.A.P., I've been experimenting with stand height as I'm working on my custom stands as well and I've found that (at least in my room), 6"-8" was the optimal height. Anything higher than that I was really getting some image "smearing" and loss of clairity and focus. It was especially noticible in my ability to understand lyrics clearly and the ability to identify instrument localization and space on larger orchestral music.

I'd recommend you try something in that magic 6"-8" range and see if you notice an improvement.

hmmm, the rake is pretty darn vertical already, but there you have it.

i have to move the speakers back about 2" to handle the new screen, but less toe-in would also work. hey, it's a free tweek :) what have i got to lose!

thanks guys.

Very nice set up. Get them up on some stands about 8 inches and you will be amazed.

I've got a pair of SA stands but I've yet to use them. I've got a pretty small room and sit relatively close to the plane of the speakers and thought that raising them off the floor that much might put the speakers too high relative to my ears. But I do plan on experimenting with the stands ASAP.

I've got a pair of SA stands but I've yet to use them. I've got a pretty small room and sit relatively close to the plane of the speakers and thought that raising them off the floor that much might put the speakers too high relative to my ears. But I do plan on experimenting with the stands ASAP.

SA stands do the job. That being said they are to high IMHO, ARCCI were a bit shorter but they lacked the detail. My new stands combine both !

Getting them off the floor will improve the sound but the rigidity that the rear brace will provide will give you that extra bit . That and your adding 1/4 inch neoprene to the inside of the wood frame so the panel sees less vibration. The CLS rests on the inside edge of the wood frame. Wood is a resonator! Stop the resonance and you get better sound. ;)

Really nice set up!

Those are fantastic speakers, I always regretted the day I sold mine...

Every one does. ;)I have not met one person who hasn't regretted selling theirs. Granted they are not for everyone. That being said they are like a high maintenance woman. Pamper her and she will always look and play well...

Give her a K Mart purse she will act like a Blue light special !

SA stands do the job. That being said they are to high IMHO, ARCCI were a bit shorter but they lacked the detail. My new stands combine both !
Considering the number of CLS lovers here, I see a marketing opportunity.

If I could not find a pair of CLS's for sale I would join the CLS club. I've been looking for 5-6 weeks and none have been for sale on Audiogon or Ebay. Waz up with dat?

Last edited:
If I could find a pair of CLS's for sale I would join the CLS club. I've been looking for 5-6 weeks and none have been for sale on Audiogon or Ebay. Waz up with dat?

Be patient, they do show up on A'gon every now and again. It took me a year to find a pair in mint condition. Luckily the seller was local so I didn't have to worry about shipping and I could hear them before purchasing. They're definitely worth the wait!

Be patient, they do show up on A'gon every now and again. It took me a year to find a pair in mint condition. Luckily the seller was local so I didn't have to worry about shipping and I could hear them before purchasing. They're definitely worth the wait!

I'm not in a hurry and can wait up to a year if I need to. I'm ready for a pair with high powered mono amps and a Descent I sub for bottom fill not to mention my gear is almost vinyl capable too. I'm good with the Summits in the meantime and doing just fine with those. I have room for Summits in the HT system when a pair of CLSs become available to use in the 2 channel system.

Although in a year's time I could do something crazy and go all out with a new pair of CLXs. Who know's...crazier things have happened.

Craig,
I waited over a year to find a pair of CLS's that were only 140 miles away. They do come up on Ebay also, there is a tendency to grow impatient while waiting, as I almost drove 1000 miles each way to get a pair.
They are definitely worth the wait, but watch out for the urge to upgrade your components after you get a pair....
Good luck in your search..

Martin-Logan, are you reading this and other threads regarding the CLS? Notwithstanding the CLX, how about producing an updated CLS? I'll bet you'll sell far more than the CLX will ever sell.

PS: Updated means more efficient, without that impedence dip.

Back