About to buy CLX's but have a few quick questions

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love my CLX's. I heard and demoed other speakers but found that these significantly outperformed the alternatives.

Marck, this isn't overly useful without providing some information on exactly which speaker models you compared them to and a little description of why you preferred the CLX. Did you demo Soundlabs, Maggie's, Quad, or Sanders? If so, which models? What differences did you perceive?

Marck, this isn't overly useful without providing some information on exactly which speaker models you compared them to and a little description of why you preferred the CLX. Did you demo Soundlabs, Maggie's, Quad, or Sanders? If so, which models? What differences did you perceive?

Fair enough point! I have listened to various Quads and Soundlabs panels over the last few years. I don't have the models to hand. However I just found that neither had all the benefits of the ML's. The Quads had a nice midrange but were no where as near as dynamic, low end not as good and depth of image less than the CLX's. Note I do use subs re bass depth.

I just found that the CLX's had the best of all the other panels I listened too. Midrange, depth, analytical, realism, imaging, size of image and the general air around them just bettered the alternatives.

Now this is my personal opinion and with my equipment (all Arc) so you would still have to try with your equipment and in your room.

It is worth adding that I tried Wilson and Sonus Faber but my preference is the panel. I just think for realism it can't be beaten.

I understand the concerns regarding panel replacement however if they last. 10-15 years would that still be an issue? All high end hobbies will incur costs associated to it. If you buy a Porsche or Ferrari you will have to expect to invest money after some time. That is just the fact of getting involved at the top end of a specific field.

Anyway back to the subject, the CLX'S are exceptional speakers and if you like panels IMO would be very hard to be bettered (especially with a pair of Descent I's).

Hope that puts a little more perspective around my comments!

Rgds
Marc

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Fair enough point! I have listened to various Quads and Soundlabs panels over the last few years. I don't have the models to hand. However I just found that neither had all the benefits of the ML's. The Quads had a nice midrange but were no where as near as dynamic, low end not as good and depth of image less than the CLX's. Note I do use subs re bass depth.

I just found that the CLX's had the best of all the other panels I listened too. Midrange, depth, analytical, realism, imaging, size of image and the general air around them just bettered the alternatives.

Now this is my personal opinion and with my equipment (all Arc) so you would still have to try with your equipment and in your room.

It is worth adding that I tried Wilson and Sonus Faber but my preference is the panel. I just think for realism it can't be beaten.

I understand the concerns regarding panel replacement however if they last. 10-15 years would that still be an issue? All high end hobbies will incur costs associated to it. If you buy a Porsche or Ferrari you will have to expect to invest money after some time. That is just the fact of getting involved at the top end of a specific field.

Anyway back to the subject, the CLX'S are exceptional speakers and if you like panels IMO would be very hard to be bettered (especially with a pair of Descent I's).

Hope that puts a little more perspective around my comments!

Rgds
Marc

Marc, Very nice comments. It is great to hear some peoples thoughts on other speakers ans how they compare to the CLXs. Guess if I paid $10-$12k for a used set, and had to pay $18k more for new panels, but got 15-20 years of enjoyment out of them, it really wouldnt be that bad of deal compared to paying $27k for a new pair. I listened to the CLX next to the $16k B&W 800 series, not sure which ones and liked the CLX a lot more. Course the plaxe said the sell many more of the B&W.

Thanks for fleshing it out, Marc. I think that is very helpful information. I agree with your assessment of the Quads. They are magic with the right music, but not near as dynamic or versatile as the MLs. I am surprised you didn't care more for the Soundlabs, as everything I hear about them is that they are some of the best ESLs made.

I think the Sanders Sound speakers outperform the MLs for realism, imaging and soundstaging, but many people have a problem with the small sweet spot of the flat panels. Gordon also has a good point with the MBLs, as they can certainly give MLs a run for their money.

Last edited:
Within the price / performance point of the CLX's, one can buy a used pair of MBL 111 F's (current model) for $15 to 18K. The E (previous model) for $11 to $12K. And the 116's, which I own, for $10 to $15K depending on legacy or new iteration. List / new price is ridiculous.

The problem is auditioning the speaker. Not easy. Like Justin's Apogees.

Gordon

$12k for a pair of used CLX's I think is very favorable. Just remember to add the potential of one or two subs.

Please feel free to ask any further questions.

M.

For me here is a solution, try to find old Acoustat's these are 28 years old and still in excellent condition.

KeepItSimple1000X750.jpg

If you have the room, you can get these Acoustat Spectra 6600 if not the Spectra 4400 will do a great job.

AcoustatJocelyn02.jpg

Sounds like you are making up your mind on your own and CLX is the way to go for you (I agree btw). IMO - if $ for panels is a big factor 1-2 decades down the line, why not find out what the lifespan and cost for replacement is for the competitors' panel/drivers since no speaker lasts forever. This may help you make a more informed driven decision.

If you cannot go wrong or need a box of tissues, why are you selling yours?? For someone bent on praising Martin Logan, why are you jumping ship?? Could be you be trying to get a higher resale value, whch everyone else has been worried about?
Honest answer is that I purchased a new mustang Shelby and had to sell some big boy toys to pay for it. Other wise I'd still have them. Vantage system is moving into the audio room. Good news is that I only lost $1250 in the sale from original purchase cost.
It actually was sad to see them go. But new toy helps forget.

Wow, beautiful car!!! Have fun with it.

Back