A Review Of The LG HB100 ~ Universal Blue-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW Player...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
As Promised…

I just wanted to share my impressions of my new LG BH100 universal Blue-Ray and HD-DVD, DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW player.

Video Quality
For Blue-Ray and HD-DVD play back the video picture quality on my PDP Pioneer HDTV 43” Plasma monitor was just stunningly excellent. :banana: Definitely just as good as the Toshiba HD-A2 player was for HD-DVD. I’m sorry; I really do not care one-way or the other about the “Hdi” menu functions of the HD-DVD disc’s, which the Toshiba HD-A2 player offers… I mean, it’s nice but I can use the “Java-interactive” menu just as well, which is what is offered on the LG BH100 player. Apparently, LG couldn’t get the approval to use the HD-DVD Hdi menu options from HD-DVD.

For DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW play back the video quality was not good at all. The LG BH100, is limited only playing DVD that are copyright protected, in 480i picture resolution. The LG BH100 player will not up-scale the video picture of copyrighted regular DVD's - at all.... So DVD’s are relegated to 480i only, which is a bummer…

I finally found the way to properly hook-up my Monitzu DVD player with the third optical in-put of my Pioneer VSX-59Txi receiver. My Monitzu DVD player us-scales everything, copyrights be damned. My Momitzu player plays all zones 1 through 0 DVD’ and up-scales any zone as well, which is why I purchased the Monitzu DVD player in the first place.

But I digress, I bought this player to play Blue-Ray and HD-DVD’s and the video quality is definatly their for me in both these formats. I will just use my old Momitzu DVD player for regular DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW’s, which will work better for me.

Audio Quality
For Blue-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW the audio quality is excellent. The LG BH100 even lets you set-up options to adjusting each speaker (except the subwoofer) to Large or Small. The subwoofer is always adjusted to Large. I have all my speaker set-up to Large on the LG BH100 player. In addition the LG BH100 gives you the option of PCM or Bitstream 48Hz or 96Hz. My Pioneer 59Txi receiver as a processor can handle the 96Hz and the Large speaker settings, which provides breathtakingly excellent full-bodied sound to all 7.1 of my HT. As I stated above, I am not using the LG BH100 to play my regular DVD’s, but the sound was excellent for playing regular DVD's. What I found immediately apparent is that the sound quality from playing regular DVD’s verses playing Blue-Ray or HD-DVD’s on the LG BH100 is soooo much better. The sound volume, tone, and fullness or dynamics in sound quality to each speaker in my 7.1 system is dramatically improved increased in both Blue-Ray and HD-DVD formates. It is like each speaker is receiving more information. I don’t know how this is happening, as I do not have HDMI or HDMI 1.3 on my 59TXi receiver. I only have my sound via optical sound cabling to my Pioneer VSX-59Txi receiver. Maybe it is the DTS-HD, DTS-True ore HD-EX, HD-Dolby sound is pushing my 59Txi receiver’s regular DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-EX, more and the sound becomes more detailed, fuller, more dynamic and/or just larger. Like I said, I don’t know why the sound has become vastly better during Blue-Ray and HD-DVD playback but difference is amazing and very stunning... I even have had to turn down the sound volume to compensate for the increase from 24 down to 30 on my receiver volume level and I just love the fact that I had to adjust it down..., just because I now have too much excellent sound… :band:

Over-all Conclusions
I am glad I purchased this player. Sound and picture quality were dramatically improved for films from DVD versions to Blue-Ray or HD-DVD versions. Excellent examples would be; Kingdom Of Heaven “Director Cut” in Blue-Ray was magnificently detailed visually as well as auditorially speaking. Stunningly incredible picture with very dynamic and completely full and detailed sound, as compared to the regular DVD version. The same was true for “The Last Samurai” in HD-DVD vs. regular DVD.
I found no difference in video or audio quality between Blue-Ray and HD-DVD discs of the same film, like Aeon Flux, which I rented on NetFlix in both formats.

There are features, I wish could have been better like, the price $1,200.00 (USD), which I realize this will more-than-likely come down over the next six months, especially with other universal players with better options coming out soon. I wish this player had HDMI 1.3 instead of what it has, HDMI-A. I wish this player up-scaled copyrighted regular DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW’s to 780p or 1080i, like my old Monitzu DVD player does, instead of only displaying them in 480i. I wish the manual control buttons were on the front of the player, instead of the top, as I have an audio rack in my HT, with stacked audio equipment...
Having said all of that, I still am glad I purchased the LG BH100 universal player. I have been drooling long enough over all the excellent Blue-Ray and HD-DVD titles for soooo long. :drool: I just don’t want to purchase new films on regular DVD any more, if I can help it... I would much rather purchase Blue-Ray or HD-DVD copies of any new film which come out like, “Stranger Than Fiction”, which I just purchased on Blue-Ray DVD. I love the fact, I can now enjoy them all right now, in glorious HD with vastly improved picture and sound quality... Life's Good ~ LG BH100 player gets my recommendation.

:D HT relaxed comfortably surrounded in ML bliss, until next time let the Blue-Ray and HD-DVD sights and sounds turn you on…

Attachments

• LG BH100 Player.jpg
    LG BH100 Player.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,179
Last edited:
Hi Robin,

Glad to hear the HB100 is working so well. I have been curious how the universal machines would work out. One is on my list but not till the price drops some.

I must say your film collection is amazing. Will you be replacing many of your DVDs as they become available?

A friend asked my about players a few days ago and I had no idea of what to suggest. I will pass along parts of your review to him.

I look forward to your photo postings daily. Keep them coming.

Nice review Robin. :clap:

You know Robin Sony just announced they will be releasing a $599.99 Blu-Ray player this summer (BDP-300 I think?). You could pick up a Toshiba HD-A2 and the BDP-300 for $1100 have full function of both formats and still be $100 dollars under the LG. It's nice you can play both formats in one box but given the limited functionality and high price tag can you recommend this player to others?

You know Robin Sony just announced they will be releasing a $599.99 Blu-Ray player this summer (BDP-300 I think?). You could pick up a Toshiba HD-A2 and the BDP-300 for $1100 have full function of both formats and still be $100 dollars under the LG.

Robin,

Thanks for the EXCELLENT review! That is awesome. I like the thought of playing both formats, but it will come down to rack space and inputs for me in the long run, so I like you will need a combination player, not one of each. I look forward to adding one to my system towards the end of this year. I will use my 400 disc DVD changer for all my DVD's and will have them cataloged and in the pronto remote for easy access and will then be able to move most of my purchases over to HD-DVD and BD.

VERY IMPORTANT FOR PRE-2004 TV owners

The most important thing about this player is it's ability to play both HD and BluRay formats without using HDMI or DVI inputs. This makes it the ONLY stand alone HD player to do this. The Xbox 360 does, but there are no BluRay players at all.

This is important for early owners (like me) of Plasma displays or ANY HD capable TV built 2003 and earlier. None have the HDCP compliant HDMI input which enables a "handshake" to take place between the player and TV. The LG simply passes the HD signal via component video outputs and at 1080i, I challenge anyone to tell me that the HDMI (even at 1080p) looks better. It simply doesn't. One of the reasons we have HDMI is the movie industry, which wanted HDCP copyright control that's not available with component out.

As the owner of a NEC 50mp2 plasma, that was technologically antiquated before its time, this player is an important development.

Forgot to Mention

After finding out from LG that this player did pass HD through component, I asked a local dealer to try it. After doing so, he mentioned that he thought the picture quality was superior to the HDMI - both in terms of color saturation and contrast.

I'm buying one in a week or so, so I haven't seen it yet, nor was I at the store when he tried this. Just thought anyone owning this palyer may want to try - or may not even know that the component out worked for HD with this unit.

Blue-Ray and HD-DVD...

I must say your film collection is amazing. Will you be replacing many of your DVDs as they become available?
Brad,

Thank you for the kind words. :D Yes, I will replace only my absolute favorite films on HD and probably only here and there, as my budget allows. If I had to estimate, I'd say probably 10% of my old regular DVD collection in the next five years.

Photos will be coming... ;)

Definate Recommendation...

Nice review Robin. :clap:

You know Robin Sony just announced they will be releasing a $599.99 Blu-Ray player this summer (BDP-300 I think?). You could pick up a Toshiba HD-A2 and the BDP-300 for $1100 have full function of both formats and still be $100 dollars under the LG. It's nice you can play both formats in one box but given the limited functionality and high price tag can you recommend this player to others?
Joe,

:D Interesting information about the up-coming Sony player.

Having limited electrical out-lets and limited opitcal out-puts mad this the perfect player for me, in my situation. ;)

:cheers: Yes, I can recommend this player, even though it has some limitation because; #1). The LG BH100 is the only universal player availible for all current HD formats. 2). Outstanding video and audio qualities in both Blue-Ray and HD-DVD playback.

I Agree...

After finding out from LG that this player did pass HD through component, I asked a local dealer to try it. After doing so, he mentioned that he thought the picture quality was superior to the HDMI - both in terms of color saturation and contrast.

I'm buying one in a week or so, so I haven't seen it yet, nor was I at the store when he tried this. Just thought anyone owning this palyer may want to try - or may not even know that the component out worked for HD with this unit.
Tgun5,

I have my LG BH100 connected to my Pioneer 59TXi receiver using component and opital. My Pioneer 43" HDTV doesn't have HDMI and is connected to my Pioneer receiver via component as well. The 1080i HD resolution picture I am receiving with both Blue-Ray and HD-DVD's, which is produced by the LG BH100 is noting short of astoundingly beautiful picture. The picture quality simply looks fantastic. :D :D

I am totally hooked on HD_DVD and Blue-Ray and I am loving it... :D

Thanks for the review Robin!

I wish this player up-scaled copyrighted regular DVD, DVD-R, DVD-RW’s to 780p or 1080i…

Ugh! Is this typical of BD / HD-DVD players? For me, this
alone is a deal-killer. Normal DVDs look awesome on my
$80 upscaling player. I don't plan to upgrade most of my
movies for this reason. Maybe LOTR, the 'Potters, and a
few other epic movies. But who needs Hitch in HD?

I see these "universal" players as the BMW X5s of the A/V world. It can do anything an Enzo will do...only not as good. It will do anything an F-350 Power Stroke will do....only not as good....and it will do anything a tricked out Rubicon will do....oooonly not as good. While the LG player may do perfectly well with BR and HDDVD, it sounds like it compromises when it comes to other formats. No surprise here.

Some people like to have the convenience and simplicity of a single transport for any media disc you can throw at it. I like the idea. But the reality is that no single transport can do everything. And even if it could, it couldnt do it as well as specialized transports for each format can. How cool would it be to have a rack with a Sony BluRay player, a Toshiba HDDVD player, a Denon 5910 for standard DVDs, a high end Meridian/CAL/DCS/Cary/Krell (take your pick) redbook CD transport, a Musical Fidelity TriVista SACD player, A Marantz Reference SACD player (since the MF unit only plays 2 CH.), and something to play DVD-Audio on (the Denon would probably suffice here).....it would be an expensive and mammoth rack....but the performance would likely be better than any single transport would be able to do.

Sure....a perfect world would place a transport that could play any and all of the above formats and more, and do it with the performance of the listed individual players. If anyone ever makes such a beast, I will be first in line to buy one. But it will never happen, so I will have to decide if I want a rack full of disc players, or 2 or 3 that will do the work of 5 or 6. :) Ill deal with that decision when it comes up. :)

There is an all-in one reference CD player. It's called the Esoteric DV60. It does red book better than the Tri-Vista, SACD better than the Marantz, and DVD-A to boot. I've owned both the Marantz and Tri-Vista.

As far as the LG, I think anyone buying this unit - at this price - at this time, is doing so because it fills a niche, not because it does all things well. You can buy a HD-A1 and soon a Blu-ray together for less than the $1200 LG asking price. You would have a better overall combination with these two units. From all reports, the HD-A1 does a phenominal job with standard DVD's and may very well compete closely with the Denon. I've owned the 3910 and it is up to par with that unit - video wise. Audio is another thing.

You can buy a HD-A1 and soon a Blu-ray together for less than the $1200 LG asking price.

You can get an HD-A2 for $499.99 and a 20GB PS3 for $499.99 and still have $200.00 left over. The buzz from the industry is Blu-ray players will be under $500 by this Christmas.

From all reports, the HD-A1 does a phenominal job with standard DVD's and may very well compete closely with the Denon. I've owned the 3910 and it is up to par with that unit - video wise. Audio is another thing.
Yes it does. the video playback on my HD-A1 is just as good as my Pioneer Elite 59avi, audio is better on the Pioneer thou.

Last edited:
Robin,

Congratulations on your LG Super Multi Disc Player :) Having the ability to play both formats on one player is indeed nice. I currently own the Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD player and I absolutely love it! But I'm not able to play every HD movie from all the studios. I was looking into the LG player but like Joe mentioned Sony is coming out with a $599.99 Blu-ray player that actually does more than their current model. I wasn't planning on going Blu, but for that price I just might :)

That's great that you're really enjoying your new LG player. Enjoy!!

Seth

Last edited:
Hi Robin...excellent review...good job!

You need to upgrade to the Statement D2 (or AVM 50) and your SD DVD picture quality problem with the LG will become an asset rather than a problem. The D2 does it's best with upscaling and processing SD when the HDMI input IS 480i. In fact there are many of us with bluray and or HD who purchased Oppo 970 players just to be able to feed SD to the D2 at 480i over HDMI.

Last edited:
Anthem Statement D2 or D3 or D4...

Hi Robin...excellent review...good job!

You need to upgrade to the Statement D2 (or AVM 50) and your SD DVD picture quality problem with the LG will become an asset rather than a problem. The D2 does it's best with upscaling and processing SD when the HDMI input IS 480i. In fact there are many of us with bluray and or HD who purchased Oppo 970 players just to be able to feed SD to the D2 at 480i over HDMI.
DrJRapp,

Yes, it is one of my dreams to up-grade to something like Anthem D2 or D3 or D4 or maybe like the Denon seporates prototype processor, someday... :D I just want my next processor to have HDMI 1.3 and all the sound formates for HD, as well as ~ 10.2 capiblities that's all... :p I just hope it wont cost too much $$$ and wont take too many years for me to realize my audio dreams... ;)

I just want my next processor to have HDMI 1.3 and all the sound formates for HD, as well as ~ 10.2 capiblities that's all... :p I just hope it wont cost too much $$$ and wont take too many years for me to realize my audio dreams... ;)

I am with you on this one Robin! I also want it to be in the color I like (Piano black, or worst case matte black, NOT silver) with a screen on the front that can display a signal from my VCR at all times regardless of what I am listening to or watching on TV! Oh, and make mine FREE AS WELL! I don't want much though! :D

DrJRapp,

Yes, it is one of my dreams to up-grade to something like Anthem D2 or D3 or D4 or maybe like the Denon seporates prototype processor, someday... :D I just want my next processor to have HDMI 1.3 and all the sound formates for HD, as well as ~ 10.2 capiblities that's all... :p I just hope it wont cost too much $$$ and wont take too many years for me to realize my audio dreams... ;)

Ya, that D2 is nice but I got my eye on the Denon. ;)

Did you guys know that Blu-Ray movies are currently out selling HD DVD movies 3:1. Not bad for a format starting 3 months after the competition and having so much bad press in the beginning.

Back