A New Room With A View!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C.A.P

Reaction score
Well after some serious listening to Kenscolicks system , and a itch to upgrade something I decided to remodel the audio arrangement I have. My wife was cool with it she said she didn't care as long as it was what I wanted. The thing I really liked about Ken's system was the spaciousness and the depth he had. I think it has a lot to do with a BIG listening room. I took the whole system out of its current room and moved some furniture out and around in my largest family room . It has my TV entertainment system already in there but the speakers are wall mount satellites. The room is rather large with hard wood floors. It is a 3 rd floor with 1/2 of it being under ground (Its a Quad level). The bass reinforcement from the solid walls and hardwood floors glued directly to the concrete is awesome. The dimensions are 15 x 23 with a back wall behind the speakers of stone and a mantel(good diffractors). The Quest's are located 3 1/2 feet from the side walls to the first edge, making the center to center of panels about 6 1/2 feet. I ended up at 3 1/2 out from the rear, with a 4 inch toe in. The listening chair is 12 feet from the speakers. I experimented with a lot of positions that were good but this so far seems to be the best. I will say this ! The Quest's were not that bad getting down the stairs but that Krell , that was a hernia tester. After I set things up and checked all the polarity and such I fired them up. This I can tell ya, the Krell has endless power and drive. , and the Quest's LOVE BIG rooms. The sound out of these speakers is nothing short of fantastic. The image is as good as I have ever heard. The detail and width is outstanding. I played a remastered recording of Huey Lewis and The News "Sports" Track #5 Walking on a thin Line . The gunshot you hear on the track is so distinctively far left it is amazing . The dead center vocals of any recording I throw at them is astounding. The bass is fantastic but it was testy trying to get them adjusted as the bass was not good at first. Its amazing when you hit that spot where the speakers start to interact with the room boundaries and reflections. When it happened it was like where is the sub. The Quest's are rated at 28hz. All I can tell you is I can pressurize the room with the right recording . I have a sub (Sunfire Tru Sub) hooked up to the 5.1 TV system and toyed with it in the Logan system and found it to cloud up things. The Konga drums on "Hotel California" from The Eagles "Hell Freezes Over ": CD was as tight as I have heard with position I have never heard. They are actually deep left side behind the speaker. This is something I have never heard . Most subs will give you the thump on this but no real location and crisp detail. As usual the typical test Cd's I ran were Dire Straits "On Every Street" , The Rippingtons "Wild Card" , a new one from Kenscolick, Eva Cassidy"Songbird" that was phenomenal with her soft vocals. I played older recordings that I have and heard detail out of them that was never present prior to this move. The Bass combined with the fine detail and the rock solid image is a sonic bliss to listen to, that never gets fatiguing. Here are a few pics that I took (sorry they are not the best ) , I will be doing some more room tweaks to even better this system . The best thing about the whole deal is everything in that room now is for pleasure, the bar is there , the TV 5.1 and the Logan's. :rocker:

I have heard that the single most important detail in your system will be your listening room not your equipment. I am convinced, THIS IS TRUE! .....:music: Oh Yeah the tuning clowns help too.........:D

Attachments

• room2.jpg
    room2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 297
  • tuning clowns.jpg
    tuning clowns.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 299
  • room3.jpg
    room3.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 299
I want to see more pics of the house!! Sounds like and awesome place and you will like that speaker set up I bet!! :rocker:

Wow... I think you could listen to me sing in that room.and enjoy it.. Kidding...:p

Awesome room... you'll have many many hours of enjoyment :bowdown: :music:

That room looks very comfortable. The wood floors look great! I imagine you could just listen to your music for endless hours.

Hey George, nice avatar! We need to get the Tampa ML clan together for a round-robin listening caravan after the ML get-together!

The whole room has only one chair?

I guess I'll have to stand at the bar and drink all your booze then.:D

That is funny........:D The bar stools were behind the bar as my kids were in the midst of a mean Blanket fort ! :p :p

Hey George, nice avatar! We need to get the Tampa ML clan together for a round-robin listening caravan after the ML get-together!

Alan, that would be cool. We can make my place last on the list. I can have drinks and snacks for us. :D

C.A.P. Nice room. Being semi-subterranean, it literally qualifies as a "man cave". Wish I could have something like that, but here in FL it would be a swimming pool!

P.S. Didn't mean to hijack the thread :D

Back