A cure for my tinnitus

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JonFo-

I think I got what you had. Hmm. It might be contagious to everybody on this forum. I just picked up one of these this morning....I feel better already.:D

Damn you guys are too loaded!!

I'm eyeing the all new M3... come on graduation!!

Joey

Damn you guys are too loaded!!

I'm eyeing the all new M3... come on graduation!!

Joey

Give it time my friend....I'm not old but you need to be wise. How funny/sad that I'm saying that on this site. But seriously, take the above to heart and you will be fine. Sometimes you just need to compromise and do the proper thing with the money. It's hard, but that's how you get ahead in life. Don't forget, now matter how much you make you will want bigger & better. Trust me.

Give it time my friend....I'm not old but you need to be wise. How funny/sad that I'm saying that on this site. But seriously, take the above to heart and you will be fine. Sometimes you just need to compromise and do the proper thing with the money. It's hard, but that's how you get ahead in life. Don't forget, now matter how much you make you will want bigger & better. Trust me.

No I agree Jason... easy does it wins the race. As long as I got my ducks in a row, life's little pleasures can take shape... but only if I have my ducks in a row.

Will heed your advice, my friend! Thanks! ;) :cheers:

JonFo-

I think I got what you had. Hmm. It might be contagious to everybody on this forum. I just picked up one of these this morning....I feel better already.:D

So, did you use the 'my ears hurt' thing to get the SO to agree as well? ;)

I might have to franchise that approach with a couple of free rides due from anyone who uses that line :haha1:

Congrats on the new Bimmer.

So, did you use the 'my ears hurt' thing to get the SO to agree as well? ;)

I might have to franchise that approach with a couple of free rides due from anyone who uses that line :haha1:

Congrats on the new Bimmer.

Actually, no. She loves cars!!! and me I guess.;) Honestly, I can't even remember how it came about....it just happened.:D

Actually, no. She loves cars!!! and me I guess.;) Honestly, I can't even remember how it came about....it just happened.:D

Honey, I'm not sure how this $60k car showed up in the driveway... it just happened :rocker:

My $$ purchases are timed w/ the end of year bonus... which for me is Oct (thus the ML purchased this Dec)... This year, I'm looking for a new car/truck and with threads like these, I'll have plenty of good advice to leverage.

This has kind of turned into a car thread, so this goes along with that.

If any of you (ha, ha, it is probably MOST OF YOU!) get HD programming and in particular HDNet, be sure and look for ads for the Art Mann Presents episode about "super garages" or something like that.

The crew spent about 4 hours over here at the house yesterday interviewing me, riding around in the cars, and just shooting them sitting in the garage as well as various other fun things in my garage (R/C planes, R/C cars, Lionel trains, art work, etc.) Very cool...VERY FUN DAY!

The shot I am including of the garage is from 3 years ago, and it looks MUCH better now...

Attachments

• garopndone.jpg
    garopndone.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 94
I hate you and your garage, James....

... I mean... just kidding, my friend!! :D :D

I hate you and your garage, James....

... I mean... just kidding, my friend!! :D :D

LOL! Love ya man! Come down and see it sometime! I took Art and the camera man around the corner there at my house tires SCREAMING and smoke boiling MANY TIMES! You should have smelled the car... Of course the best run I had was missed by the camera...it was AMAZING! I was watching it in my rear veiw as I laid down this HUGE black streak w/ smoke POURING off the rear or the car! It does not have a LSD so it will just light that inside tire right up! Not the fast way around a corner, but it is fun and a nice sight for all to see. Though I don't think the neighbors were particularly amused! LOL! :devil:

LOL! Love ya man! Come down and see it sometime! Though I don't think the neighbors were particularly amused! LOL! :devil:
A few short years from now, I'll seriously take you up on your offer... after school!

Also, who cares what the neighbors think.... rock on man!!! :rocker:

Info on tinnitus: (I get it occassionally)

http://www.ata.org/about_tinnitus/consumer/faq.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinnitus

Uh, am I supposed to say something about cars? :)

Hey, thanks for the links Steve.

Since we're an audio community (that clearly loves cars as well ;-) I found this little nugget interesting:

http://www.arteson.com/audionoise/

It's a tool for generating masking noises that also features a method for finding exact match tinnitus masking.

"In addition, AudioNoise contains a special tool for tinnitus diagnosis: the Tinnitus Finder. This is a tone generator with a slider to set pitch. Together with AudioNoise's volume control patients can match the AudioNoise-tone to their tinnitus in order to estimate the tinnitus frequency and to give others an impression of their tinnitus level."

Last edited:
Hi JonFo, sorry about your problems. I don't know if you follow the law to the letter, but I say just wear the earplugs anyways even when driving like my musician friend (and former stunt man) does. (He was never allowed to wear earplugs during explosions, believe it or not, due to safety reasons). See if you can find some custom-molded musician's earplugs with a flat eq. Often, they will have these very small, removable units in order to change the level of db protection. I am guessing these earplugs cost about 70 bucks +/- $20. But make sure they work and fit well. My friend and his brother (also musician) tried a couple of places before they found a truly excellent molder/maker at the NAM convention. Hey, then you can turn it up at your friends' request, have protection, while maintaining the same eq.

What is really great is that this is a way to reduce extraneous noise, and listen only to what you really want to hear. Like, try these earplugs with some Bose noise-cancelling headphones when travelling by air, and you may not even know you were on a plane! Best of luck.

HA!

I'm considering the exact same cars...

Leaning towards GS350AWD or G35X. I've had a 2000 Acura TL and a 2001 Lexus RX300 and the quality of the interior in the TL really did not compare to the RX.

If you were to rank the choices, what would they be? Is there anything that makes the rest less appealing or did the RL stand out? Thanks!

Hi JonFo, sorry about your problems…
What is really great is that this is a way to reduce extraneous noise, and listen only to what you really want to hear. Like, try these earplugs with some Bose noise-cancelling headphones when travelling by air, and you may not even know you were on a plane! Best of luck.

JK, thanks.

I have contacted these folks: http://www.sensaphonics.com/products.html
and am procuring a set of custom earmolds for my er4's.

I use those to listen to Podcasts in the car and as isolation devices on planes. Even with the factory in-ear plugs, they work quite well at reducing noise.

One thing I do note in a car is that the more you isolate the ear canal from noise, the more you actually sense the very low frequencies conducted through the seat. This is what made me realize that my prior car had incredibly high levels of VLF at certain speeds on certain types of roads. The new car has much lower levels of VLF, but still quite noticeable once you filter out all the high frequencies with ear plugs.

Will post back when I get the new earmolds.

HA!

I'm considering the exact same cars...

Leaning towards GS350AWD or G35X. I've had a 2000 Acura TL and a 2001 Lexus RX300 and the quality of the interior in the TL really did not compare to the RX.

If you were to rank the choices, what would they be? Is there anything that makes the rest less appealing or did the RL stand out? Thanks!

Yang, the RL stood out because it had a much better AWD system, specifically, one tuned to maximize handling and performance vs just trying to get you out of a snow-bank.

The Lexus is a nice interior, but for the RL is a bit nicer IMHO. Also, the value proposition of the RL is pretty hard to beat.

The Infinity’s look nice, but they are bit rough around the edges. Specifically, they have too high a level of NVH for my tastes (and needs re: ears).

Bottom line, go for a test drive in the RL. You’ll be surprised at how much more refined it is than a TL.

Back