50 HZ spike and room calculations.....

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treitz3

Reaction score
I have a 50 Hz spike coming from my mains [admittedly not ML speak's] and I have found many a link to calculations with a rectangle shaped room. This is my question....do any of you know where to direct me to go to figure out room nodes and spikes when I have a "V" shaped ceiling running the length of the room?

I would like to correct it without using an EQ. Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you may have.

Tom.

I have a 50 Hz spike coming from my mains [admittedly not ML speak's] and I have found many a link to calculations with a rectangle shaped room. This is my question....do any of you know where to direct me to go to figure out room nodes and spikes when I have a "V" shaped ceiling running the length of the room?

I would like to correct it without using an EQ. Thanks in advance for any suggestions that you may have.

Assuming your mains are ported dynamic speakers, I'd try first buying a plumbing compression test plug of the right size and plugging up the port on your speakers temporarily to see if that resolves your problem. In an attempt to get more bass from a speaker by utilizing a port, most designers end up with a peak above the woofers resonant frequency, often around 50-60 Hz. The reason I suspect this is that a 50 Hz room peak is unusually low.

Further, the easiest and probably most accurate way to correct is, beyond plugging the port, if one exists, is an EQ. There are pro sound equipment designed especially for that purpose.

Last edited:
Back