2009 CES Anyone???

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A picture of Tera Patrick sandwiched between a pair of CLX would be great.

Thank You

Ask Wilma if she could pose between your Summitt and CLS !!!!!

Then frame the picture and give to her for Valentines day before you head over to Burke's house for the 'shootout' !! LOL !

Ask Wilma if she could pose between your Summitt and CLS !!!!!
Then frame the picture and give to her for Valentines day before you head over to Burke's house for the 'shootout' !! LOL !
Now that's a marketing plan!

I've looked over the CES exhibitors list and ML is nowhere to be found. I was hoping we could meet at the ML booth at a specific time. We'll need an alternate plan and I'm open to suggestions. The high end audio is mostly in the Venetian Towers and I plan to spend some time over there.

Magnepan is supposed to reveal a new speaker. I wonder if anyone else will come out with something cool.

I hope you guys got a chance to go by and see Roger. He is at Alexis Park. He is having a good show and told me that the traffic in his room is only slightly less than last year even with all the talk of attendance being down.

He doesn't have time to go walk around, but folks are telling him that there are quite a large number of $50K speakers there this year.

Roger told me about a Quad rep that came in and listened for a while. He told Roger before leaving that if they tried to play some of what Roger was playing on the Quads, they would be left in a smoking heap on the floor. :eek:

The 10b's should be arriving at Burke's within the week!

Cheers,
Angela

The 10b's should be arriving at Burke's within the week!

I will be home Wed, Thur & Fri working on the new room treatments, so hopefully they will arrive near the end of the week.

The shoot out is on for Sunday Jan 25th. 10:30 AM till....

If you can not make on the 25th and want to hear the 10b's please just drop me a PM and we can set something up.

--burke

Attendance was down, and halls less crowded, but still plenty of people.

Well, I saw lots of Cool displays. Everyone seems to have some new Plasma or LCD tech to tout.

So quickly: The new Panasonic Plasmas coming out in ’09 are amazing (as good as the ’07 Kuros) and maybe competitive with Kuros in general. We’ll have to wait for reviews.

The Pioneer Kuros of course looked great.

LCD is finally getting there, with LED backlighting and 240Hz refresh engines, they now can do motion and are less objectionable in both color (if zoned color LED backlit) or black levels (zoned or edge lit).

But their advantages of price and energy vs plasma are rapidly eroding. I still recommend Plasma to anyone for HT use, now more than ever.

Still nothing to make me replace my CRT projector. 10 years old and still better color and blacks than most anything out there.

The DLP-based LED-light projectors were very, very cool, but at $20K still to spendy. They’ll reach $8K in 18 to 24 months. Hope the old CRT lasts, as I hate bulbs …

Last edited:
Audio-wise, the most impressive thing I heard at CES was the Wisdom audio room.

For those who love Electrostats for their clear highs and line-source dispersion properties, the Wisdoms have always been an alluring option. And now, for those that want those qualities in a speaker that disappears from the room, the new Sage line from Wisdom does that very effectively.

They demoed the in-wall variation at CES, and they did that by bringing in a prefab wall that had the speakers installed and set that up in the room. They even had side walls prebuilt as well. They went all out…

The exact model used was the Sage L150i.

But it was worth it, the performance of this system was very, very good. I could live with it, and ya’ll know I’m picky ;)

It had all the highs we have come to love in our ML’s, but it had mid bass slam and lows like few systems I’ve ever heard. The fact that that mid-bass is generated by 12 6” mid-woofers in a line array, per side, is why they can do that.

The system is fully active crossover based, and bi or tri (if using subs) amplified through the use of a very cool system controller. It’s actually the SC-1 controller that is a big part of the success.

First, is the active crossover, which as I’ve been preaching, is the only way to do it right. Secondly, the secret sauce they used is they licensed the Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro room correction system and integrated it into their controller.
The Audyssey corrects not only the room, but the system as a whole as well, ensuring phase-coherent response across the spectrum, at the listening positions.

So even thought the system was an in-wall, it sounded ten times better than many a ‘high-end’ box speaker system.

Like I said earlier, I could live with this system. And it truly did disappear (if two 8” x 76” rectangles per side can be called disappearing).

I also stopped by the TacT booth (had to really go out of your way to find it) but it was worth it. Got to speak to Boz about the new TCS mk III processor.
It was very cool, and of course features the latest room correction with dynamic updates.

But the coolest product was the Ambiophonics box. It primarily is about doing a soundfield synthesis, but it’s much, much more than that.

It’s a crossover, EQ and can play several roles in a bigger TacT system. For $2K, it was reasonable (by TacT standards anyway).

www.TacTLabs.com

Well there is only one way, really. In your post, use Manage Attachements - a button below where you enter the text. Make sure your pics are in JPEG format and less than 146K in size. You can do this using Paint in Windows Vista, and re-sizing them, then saving in JPEG format. It's a little cumbersome but it doesn't take much time.

Start a new thread for it. And I have to say I am looking forward to it... as I am sure others will be!:)

Download a little app called "PIXResizer" - it will bulk resize all your pics to whatever format/size/dimensions you put in, leaving the originals untouched of course.

I'm familiar with the uploading buttons, it's the photo management software that is new territory.

The photos are large file sizes and I'm using a Mac OS. However, I do have Canon's photo software that comes with the camera but it resizes by aspect ratio rater than simply reducing the file size. I'll see if I can find a tool to do that that runs on the Mac OS.

Last edited:
Audio-wise, the most impressive thing I heard at CES was the Wisdom audio room.

For those who love Electrostats for their clear highs and line-source dispersion properties, the Wisdoms have always been an alluring option. And now, for those that want those qualities in a speaker that disappears from the room, the new Sage line from Wisdom does that very effectively.

They demoed the in-wall variation at CES, and they did that by bringing in a prefab wall that had the speakers installed and set that up in the room. They even had side walls prebuilt as well. They went all out…

The exact model used was the Sage L150i.

But it was worth it, the performance of this system was very, very good. I could live with it, and ya’ll know I’m picky ;)

It had all the highs we have come to love in our ML’s, but it had mid bass slam and lows like few systems I’ve ever heard. The fact that that mid-bass is generated by 12 6” mid-woofers in a line array, per side, is why they can do that.

The system is fully active crossover based, and bi or tri (if using subs) amplified through the use of a very cool system controller. It’s actually the SC-1 controller that is a big part of the success.

First, is the active crossover, which as I’ve been preaching, is the only way to do it right. Secondly, the secret sauce they used is they licensed the Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro room correction system and integrated it into their controller.
The Audyssey corrects not only the room, but the system as a whole as well, ensuring phase-coherent response across the spectrum, at the listening positions.

So even thought the system was an in-wall, it sounded ten times better than many a ‘high-end’ box speaker system.

Like I said earlier, I could live with this system. And it truly did disappear (if two 8” x 76” rectangles per side can be called disappearing).

hmmm, I wonder if one of these models can replace/upgrade the Stage center I currently have. I feel that is the weakest link, especially w/ dialog in movies.

hmmm, I wonder if one of these models can replace/upgrade the Stage center I currently have. I feel that is the weakest link, especially w/ dialog in movies.
I'm actually almost in the process of buying a Stage center, would you recommend against it?

Scott, maybe, as the biggest problem most people have with centers is their positioning.

Either above or below the screen is not right, it needs to be behind the screen.

It also needs to be large, like as in at least 60% of the size of the L.R, and ideally as big.

But realizing that doing this with ESL’s run in dipole mode requires the screen to be both acoustically transparent and offset from the wall by 4’, it’s not too practical for most, even if you do have front projection.

What might work for your setup is look into an in-wall solution, like the Wisdom or some BG Radia in-walls, like the R500 http://www.bgcorp.com/.

With your new pre-amps Audyssey pro ability, it could be voiced to match the ESLs pretty well.

With an in-wall behind the screen, the screen would be offset by only a few inches. Plus you could acoustically treat the wall around the center behind the screen for even better results.

If you want to pursue this line, lets start another thread to hash it out.

BTW- to the rest, I only recommend this as I know that an Audyssey equipped processor (like Scott’s new Integra 9.9) can correctly time and frequency align the system.

Last edited:
I'm actually almost in the process of buying a Stage center, would you recommend against it?

Stage is a good center... but as always, searching for upgrades and tweaks. Joeyitis strikes again...

Stage is a good center... but as always, searching for upgrades and tweaks. Joeyitis strikes again...

Hehe the wonders of upgraditis!
I know the feeling all too well, when the geek nerve tingles, one has to obey.
Has anyone heard any rumors about a new center speaker supposed to take the throne from the Stage?

Latest posts

Back