13a's vs Quad

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbill

Reaction score
I keep hearing great things about Quad speakers on various forums. I've never had a chance to hear them and there does not seem to be any stores that sell them in the US, at least in Texas.

How do the latest from both companies compare?

Hi Jim
There are so many high quality speaker choices out there we live in a great time. Asking how they compare on a forum is probably besides the technical specs and assets is pretty much pointless because it’s how they sound and perform to YOUR ears that is the determining factor. You sir are probably in luck living where you do (looks like Houston area) my guess is there are some very good audio clubs in the Houston area and I would search those out and see if any of their members have Quads that you could go and listen to. That’s the best I have for that aspect of it.
As far as technical and overall characteristics, in the past Logans had far better reliability, quads had a reputation of being very susceptible to breakdowns and problems. That said they also had the reputation of with the right amplification they sounded fantastic. Now maybe improvements have been made in their reliability.
Take this whole reply with a grain of salt as I have never heard a pair of Quads in person. Good luck in your quest!

The main difference between Quads and ML 13A is that the ML are hybrids meaning there are tradeoffs. The ML will generally play deeper and louder, but aren't as coherent though. Both brands sounds excellent but what you will prefer is up to your ears as said. It's long time ago I heard the quads but I went for ML also having the better design in my eyes with their transparent and slimmer panels.

Oh boy, maaate... do I get excited when I see this type of question. I've posted numerous aspects on three different forums having owned several iterations of these ESL's. So just to reiterate, in fact, I've posted all about Quads somewhere here, can't find it though.

*Note" when you buy Quad ESL's (any of the newer versions, made in China) they include the Quad book, written by Ken Kessler, 'The Closest Approach.' It's a great book and has the whole Quad history with fantastic photos. Kenny K also did the book on McIntosh 'For the love of music,' another great read, and also the book on ARC.

Anyway, just to summarise:
1. Quads when built back in the 50's to the 80's were all made in England. Under the careful watch of Peter Walker, the ESL legend! These were mainly the ESL57 and ESL63 (owned both versions). They were quite finicky to drive, such that if under-driven, they sound awful. Then if over-driven the panels arc, blue sparks fly off in all directions, causing holes in the mylar and before you can say, Bob's your uncle, poof! Panel failure. So you have to get the "right amplifier" to drive Quads. Now, how the heck do we know what is the right amp? Well, that's a definite point and is a matter of trial and error.
After the late 80' leading upto the 90's, Quad started to accumulate debt. So when PW passed away, his son Ross, was approached by IAG (Int'l Audio Group) based in China. Big bucks and big muscles... so Quad was swallowed in one bite! Now, those newer versions, ESL 988, 989, 2805, 2905, 2910, and 2912's are all made in China, and they're an absolute disaster! I owned all these newer versions and ended up with two major nightmares on both the ESL 2905's and 2912's. I'll touch upon that later.

***in general *** any amplifier (SS or tube) that has excellent power supply design (high current & stable voltages), that can handle the ESL's impedence swings, can and will drive ESL's full range with no issues.

2. Tube Power Amplifiers that I've tried on both Quads and ML's with absolutely no issues: Conrad johnson, Audio Research, VTL, Manley Labs, Quad, Jadis, Cary, Sonic Frontiers, Audio Note- UK and Kondo Audio Note- Japan, Melos, and Leek. The first half of this list were outstanding with Quads, the latter half from Audio Note down were more vintage designs but managed really well.

3. SS power amps: Krell FPB series, Bryston, Mark Levinson, Threshold, Sumo, Jeff Rowland, Class'e, Aragon, and Parasound were the main ones I either sold to other customers or set-up for owner's after having purchased from our dealer network. As you can tell from this extensive list, all these makes incorporate really well designed power supplies, and in these power systems the Output stages can easily handle ESL's. (Of course there were many others that fell short, hence no point listing).

4. The original Quad ESL's 57 were probably the best Quad ESL's ever made to date! They were quite delicate and not very robust but they reproduced some fantastic tunes. The most impressive version of the ESL 57 I've heard, were double-stacked 57's driven by six channels of tube power by ARC amps. That was something else! However, very complex and cumbersome to maintain. Another person who had stacked 57's was the main guy behind SME turn tables & SME arms. You can read all about his stacked Quad system on the Net, it's quite elaborate.

5. The ESL 57's were not very reliable either and if over-driven they would arc instantaneously, even causing the amp to shut down or further damage. So Quad redesigned the 57's with better protection, used fuses, and it could play louder, that was the ESL 63. Even though the ESL 63's could play louder, if over-driven they would still arc and had virtually the same problems.

6. Those were the only two ESL's produced by Quad during the term of PW. After he passed away in the early 90's, Quad stopped producing ESL's for a while, and the IAG group started building conventional speakers. They were ok but nothing close to Quad ESL's, no chance! The IAG group are the company that also own Wharfdale, Quad, Audio Lab and a few others, all coming out of China. (Very poor quality control, although Kenny K says they're great...)

7. So music enthusiasts were waiting for Quad to introduce a new line of ESL's. And so they did! Starting with the ESL 988, 989, 2805, 2905, 2910, and 2912's. Initially, when I had the 988's and 989's, they were quite good upto the point of warranty. Exact same thing happened to both the 2905's and 2912's that I bought between 2010 and 2015. After about two years, buzzing started from the panels, eventually multiple panel failures including two trannies failed as well! Back in the day, when made in England, we NEVER had tranny failures, maybe slight panel issues but never transformers. The Quads use three trannies. One mains tranny and two HT (high tension) trannies which are used to charge both opposing stators. In both my models, both the mains tranny failed. IAG was absolutely hopeless in helping out. And my Quad dealer's reply was, "sorry mate, these things happen when made in China, just buy another pair." What the....??

8. The very last pair of Quad ESL's I purchased were their top of the line ESL 2912's. I spent 22grand on that pair and then another 10grand to fix the damn things, which weren't even fixed by them! So all up, 32grand, damn! I could've bought two pairs of CLX's! At the end, I managed to contact a chap named, John Hall. He's known as the Quad Whisperer in Aus. After a few chats over the phone he knew exactly what was wrong on both pairs. He came over to my place and spent nearly 8hrs fixing, replacing and testing the Quads, and finally when he gave the thumbs up... I promptly sold off both pairs! That was the last Quad ESL I'll ever buy, never again.

9. It was around 2015/16 I purchased the ML Ethos from my current ML dealer. The price of the Ethos was less than half of the Quads! Anyway, the moment I set them up and powered up by my previous CJ tube gear, I started to cry! Even the wifey was upset and wondering what on earth is going on .. I simply replied, I've been ripped off by the new Quad group. The ML Ethos was on another dimension compared to Quads, it's not even funny. In fact, it's quite sad! The only thing good about Quad now, is Ken Kessler's book!

10. Now I own CLX's and the rest is history!

So, to answer your question, 13A's compared to Quads... there's no comparison, hell no!
ML electrostats, whether hybrid or full range, are and will always be superior to any Quad ESL's by far! I've added a pic of that mains tranny that failed twice in both pairs. It's like a toy! This kind of cheapo parts are not found anywhere near ML's, no chance Charlie! Just open up any ML speakers and have a look for yourself and you'll notice the high quality parts straight away! Even their lower entry-level series still has quality and good grade parts, nothing's compromised, and this very factor is what makes all the difference in ML stats.

Now that deserves a mighty WOOF!!!
Cheers, RJ

Attachments

• 20240423_233705.jpg
    20240423_233705.jpg
    827 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I will say this though, out of respect for Peter Walker, whom I had the pleasure of meeting whiles I was a student in the UK; once I had the money to actually buy Quads and use the best tube amps I could afford, that was my favourite system of all time!

Quad ESL63's placed on top of Gradient subs, driven by a single CJ tube stereo power amp in Triode mode, using EL34's, this was the CJ Premier 11A- XS. Using Nordost Red Dawn flat line interconnects and their SPM Reference series speaker cables at the time, this system was so far advanced, that even to this day, only a handful can truly surpass the sheer brilliance in soundstage depth and pure musicality, it had so much soul! It was awe-inspiring!

Sadly none of these models are made, and what's coming out of China aren't even close!
On the outside, the newer versions look great! Far better bracing with aluminium side panels, added spikes and added 10kg weight plates to add to an overall weight of 46kgs... so these new stats feel more solid. BUT, what's in the inside is the most important thing. When you open it up and have a look including the panels structure, the wiring, the glues and workmanship, it's one of the worst I've ever come across. No point talking any further.

So! If you can get hold of either the German made Quads, or PK Quads refurbed in the UK or the US chaps who refurb the ESL63 monitors, now these are very good. Much better build quality and far more reliable. What these guys are doing to Quad ESL's is an honour to Peter Walker. What IAG is doing to Quad is a death sentence. They really don't understand what the Quad ESL stands for and sadly Ross couldn't be bothered.

Having said that, if you're considering ML stats or have already purchased them, well look no further! Your ML's are light years ahead! Trust me, I happen to know...
Cheers, RJ

Great post Big Dog and sounds right - when I heard them ages back when the summits had arrived on the scene. The CLS were the direct comparison - too expensive for me although in my end of the world the Quad and the ML are closer in price. In any case I ended with the Aion i over the smaller Quad although the Quad as I recall sounded more coherent (like the CLS). In any case both failed the WAF (and MAF - My Acceptance Factor). But your post confirms I went the right path - never doubted it though.

I just noticed, even now! On their website showing the new Quad ESL's 2812 and 2912's, which aren't really new... they show a brief pic of that mains tranny. It's clearly labelled Quad Acoustics! This maties is deceptive advertising!

That bloody mains tranny is a Chinese make, I've just posted a pic of mine! That company Sanecore, is a huge Chinese based tech company that supplies all the parts for these Quads coming out of their factory. And yet they still get away with it! I'll be damned. Ross W pretty much has no say, he was bought out! Shame on them.

The ML 13A's, there's no comparison at any level. ML stats use vacuum bonded stators, they also use high grade composite alloys on the stat frames, and now incorporate the Blade tech, which is even more rigid. Then in the inside, you'll find the highest quality parts used in both the electronics plus bass drivers and controls. These aren't toys and no mickey mouse design here, no chance!

Quad ESL's... that original era is long gone.

Only those handful of Quad ESL enthusiasts are still very passionate about these stats, and that's why their refurbs are way superior to anything coming from the IAG group. I've heard a few of these refurbs, they're quite good and very special. It's a work of passion these guys have put in but they're hard to find.

ML stats are in a league of their own.
Cheers, RJ

As i recal the way the quad is working is sort of cone principle meaning the panel is build not like a cohérent film but with a slight delay between sectors. I'm sure you can educate me here. But from what i heard Quad "colapsef" at that time (and my HiFi pusher discontinued carrying them - at least soon after).

Glad to see you posted here big dog, the op couldn’t have found better advice anywhere that would be any better or more complete!
This is what makes this forum one of the best there is!👍👍👍

Last edited:
Oh boy, maaate... do I get excited when I see this type of question. I've posted numerous aspects on three different forums having owned several iterations of these ESL's. So just to reiterate, in fact, I've posted all about Quads somewhere here, can't find it though.

*Note" when you buy Quad ESL's (any of the newer versions, made in China) they include the Quad book, written by Ken Kessler, 'The Closest Approach.' It's a great book and has the whole Quad history with fantastic photos. Kenny K also did the book on McIntosh 'For the love of music,' another great read, and also the book on ARC.

Anyway, just to summarise:
1. Quads when built back in the 50's to the 80's were all made in England. Under the careful watch of Peter Walker, the ESL legend! These were mainly the ESL57 and ESL63 (owned both versions). They were quite finicky to drive, such that if under-driven, they sound awful. Then if over-driven the panels arc, blue sparks fly off in all directions, causing holes in the mylar and before you can say, Bob's your uncle, poof! Panel failure. So you have to get the "right amplifier" to drive Quads. Now, how the heck do we know what is the right amp? Well, that's a definite point and is a matter of trial and error.
After the late 80' leading upto the 90's, Quad started to accumulate debt. So when PW passed away, his son Ross, was approached by IAG (Int'l Audio Group) based in China. Big bucks and big muscles... so Quad was swallowed in one bite! Now, those newer versions, ESL 988, 989, 2805, 2905, 2910, and 2912's are all made in China, and they're an absolute disaster! I owned all these newer versions and ended up with two major nightmares on both the ESL 2905's and 2912's. I'll touch upon that later.

***in general *** any amplifier (SS or tube) that has excellent power supply design (high current & stable voltages), that can handle the ESL's impedence swings, can and will drive ESL's full range with no issues.

2. Tube Power Amplifiers that I've tried on both Quads and ML's with absolutely no issues: Conrad johnson, Audio Research, VTL, Manley Labs, Quad, Jadis, Cary, Sonic Frontiers, Audio Note- UK and Kondo Audio Note- Japan, Melos, and Leek. The first half of this list were outstanding with Quads, the latter half from Audio Note down were more vintage designs but managed really well.

3. SS power amps: Krell FPB series, Bryston, Mark Levinson, Threshold, Sumo, Jeff Rowland, Class'e, Aragon, and Parasound were the main ones I either sold to other customers or set-up for owner's after having purchased from our dealer network. As you can tell from this extensive list, all these makes incorporate really well designed power supplies, and in these power systems the Output stages can easily handle ESL's. (Of course there were many others that fell short, hence no point listing).

4. The original Quad ESL's 57 were probably the best Quad ESL's ever made to date! They were quite delicate and not very robust but they reproduced some fantastic tunes. The most impressive version of the ESL 57 I've heard, were double-stacked 57's driven by six channels of tube power by ARC amps. That was something else! However, very complex and cumbersome to maintain. Another person who had stacked 57's was the main guy behind SME turn tables & SME arms. You can read all about his stacked Quad system on the Net, it's quite elaborate.

5. The ESL 57's were not very reliable either and if over-driven they would arc instantaneously, even causing the amp to shut down or further damage. So Quad redesigned the 57's with better protection, used fuses, and it could play louder, that was the ESL 63. Even though the ESL 63's could play louder, if over-driven they would still arc and had virtually the same problems.

6. Those were the only two ESL's produced by Quad during the term of PW. After he passed away in the early 90's, Quad stopped producing ESL's for a while, and the IAG group started building conventional speakers. They were ok but nothing close to Quad ESL's, no chance! The IAG group are the company that also own Wharfdale, Quad, Audio Lab and a few others, all coming out of China. (Very poor quality control, although Kenny K says they're great...)

7. So music enthusiasts were waiting for Quad to introduce a new line of ESL's. And so they did! Starting with the ESL 988, 989, 2805, 2905, 2910, and 2912's. Initially, when I had the 988's and 989's, they were quite good upto the point of warranty. Exact same thing happened to both the 2905's and 2912's that I bought between 2010 and 2015. After about two years, buzzing started from the panels, eventually multiple panel failures including two trannies failed as well! Back in the day, when made in England, we NEVER had tranny failures, maybe slight panel issues but never transformers. The Quads use three trannies. One mains tranny and two HT (high tension) trannies which are used to charge both opposing stators. In both my models, both the mains tranny failed. IAG was absolutely hopeless in helping out. And my Quad dealer's reply was, "sorry mate, these things happen when made in China, just buy another pair." What the....??

8. The very last pair of Quad ESL's I purchased were their top of the line ESL 2912's. I spent 22grand on that pair and then another 10grand to fix the damn things, which weren't even fixed by them! So all up, 32grand, damn! I could've bought two pairs of CLX's! At the end, I managed to contact a chap named, John Hall. He's known as the Quad Whisperer in Aus. After a few chats over the phone he knew exactly what was wrong on both pairs. He came over to my place and spent nearly 8hrs fixing, replacing and testing the Quads, and finally when he gave the thumbs up... I promptly sold off both pairs! That was the last Quad ESL I'll ever buy, never again.

9. It was around 2015/16 I purchased the ML Ethos from my current ML dealer. The price of the Ethos was less than half of the Quads! Anyway, the moment I set them up and powered up by my previous CJ tube gear, I started to cry! Even the wifey was upset and wondering what on earth is going on .. I simply replied, I've been ripped off by the new Quad group. The ML Ethos was on another dimension compared to Quads, it's not even funny. In fact, it's quite sad! The only thing good about Quad now, is Ken Kessler's book!

10. Now I own CLX's and the rest is history!

So, to answer your question, 13A's compared to Quads... there's no comparison, hell no!
ML electrostats, whether hybrid or full range, are and will always be superior to any Quad ESL's by far! I've added a pic of that mains tranny that failed twice in both pairs. It's like a toy! This kind of cheapo parts are not found anywhere near ML's, no chance Charlie! Just open up any ML speakers and have a look for yourself and you'll notice the high quality parts straight away! Even their lower entry-level series still has quality and good grade parts, nothing's compromised, and this very factor is what makes all the difference in ML stats.

Now that deserves a mighty WOOF!!!
Cheers, RJ
Thanks for the extensive reply!

Not only did you make me feel good about the ML's, you also made my day listing Parasound amps. I just bought a Parasound A21+ about 4 months ago (6-months-old, got it for half price). It replaced 30-year-old B&K mono blocks.

I just noticed, even now! On their website showing the new Quad ESL's 2812 and 2912's, which aren't really new... they show a brief pic of that mains tranny. It's clearly labelled Quad Acoustics! This maties is deceptive advertising!

That bloody mains tranny is a Chinese make, I've just posted a pic of mine! That company Sanecore, is a huge Chinese based tech company that supplies all the parts for these Quads coming out of their factory. And yet they still get away with it! I'll be damned. Ross W pretty much has no say, he was bought out! Shame on them.

The ML 13A's, there's no comparison at any level. ML stats use vacuum bonded stators, they also use high grade composite alloys on the stat frames, and now incorporate the Blade tech, which is even more rigid. Then in the inside, you'll find the highest quality parts used in both the electronics plus bass drivers and controls. These aren't toys and no mickey mouse design here, no chance!

Quad ESL's... that original era is long gone.

Only those handful of Quad ESL enthusiasts are still very passionate about these stats, and that's why their refurbs are way superior to anything coming from the IAG group. I've heard a few of these refurbs, they're quite good and very special. It's a work of passion these guys have put in but they're hard to find.

ML stats are in a league of their own.
Cheers, RJ
Are the new Quad ESLs priced more affordable now, since they are produced from Chinese parts. Are they assembled there too? Hopefully at least there is a price savings there for the customer?

As i recal the way the quad is working is sort of cone principle meaning the panel is build not like a cohérent film but with a slight delay between sectors. I'm sure you can educate me here. But from what i heard Quad "colapsef" at that time (and my HiFi pusher discontinued carrying them - at least soon after).
Yes, that's correct.
When Quad first described their structure and dispersion pattern, I couldn't quite understand it until my Quad techie actually opened it up and showed me every inch of detail between the original UK version vs the Chinese version.

The original Quads have what are called concentric ring Anodes comprising of 3 - 4 rings per speaker. Quad stats are actually made of several panels wired together in series from top to bottom. Let's take the ESL 2905's for example: there are a total of 6 panels from the full length of the speaker. Starting with the middle two- this is where the mids & highs are generated and the last two at the top and last two at the bottom, are bass panels. So in total six panels wired together.

The signal originates from the centre then onto the rest of the panels like a ripple effect, mimicking a point source. The ripple effect is caused by the ring Anodes which cover the entire surface. In addition to this structure, they also use delay coils, so this type of dispersion pattern is very unique and is found only on Quad ESL's. This also allows the Quads to be placed closer to the front wall, if space is an issue. The further away they're placed from the front wall, the deeper the soundstage gets and it's truly awesome!

The stats simply disappear in an instance, leaving a floating image dead centre of the performance right in front of you. In fact, it's so palpable you can reach out and touch the musicians! Or even shake hands with them.

So when bought over by IAG, they obviously copied this design and wanted to better it, and they did! These new Quads look and feel amazing! Aluminium side panels, extra rigid bracing in the centre, heavy duty spikes, plus 10kg added weight plates that are bolted to the bottom. So all well and good BUT the weakness is what's inside. Very cheap materials used and very poor quality, I'm actually surprised that this stuff inside even passes basic quality control. Someone paid off someone big money to get the design approved and start manufacturing... just my 50cts guess.

Other types of stats or even full range ones, don't quite have this type of dispersion pattern of the Quads. For example ML doesn't use multiple panels or panels wired in series... rather it's one full panel, one full mylar from top to bottom, acting as a line source. **Note** in the case of the CLX's, it's double mylar and triple stators but only on the bass section.

The other thing with Quads is that they're much softer and light weight in tonal presentation, transients and dynamics. This is due to their covering structure, which sort of muffles the transparency of true stats. The Quads have 3 layers of cover:
1. The outer fabric cover, referred to as the sock.
2. The metal frame encasing the whole stat panel. Referred to as dust covers.
3. Transparent plastic sheet, like cling wrap on both sides (front & back) which further protects the actual stat panels. The sound can travel through this plastic film, thanks to it's extra thinness. But is very very fragile!

Only after these 3 layers are taken off, you get to the actual Quad stat panels. And this is also one of the reasons why they don't sound harsh, bright or over the edge at all. In fact, they roll off the highest frequencies, they can't reproduce those extended highs unlike ML's. You can hear this straight away when compared side by side. Also ML's have limitless dynamics, they can extend their frequency range with some serious transients! Quads are still limited and if pushed too hard, they still arc and go into protection mode. They're just designed this way. They can play loud but not too loud, they have limits. The only limits with ML's is your hearing! If your ears can handle it.

So, the most positive things with the Quad ESL design is:
1. They can fit into smaller rooms and simply disappear leaving a wonderful soundstage presence.
2. Since they're relatively flat response, no harshness whatsoever, this allows for endless hours of listening. You can actually just sit there and listen till the cows & kookabaas come home.
3. They really don't need a fancy mancy highend expensive amplifier to drive them well to sound any better. They're more like monitors, Quads are Quads!

1. Now take the ML stats for example, they have no covers! Absolutely nothing! This is why they are so transparent and pure to the original recording. Nothing is coloured. You can also see right through them.
2. ML's are based on Line Source dispersion, so in order to achieve that superb soundstage depth and presence, plus make the stats disappear, they require proper placement in much larger rooms. ML's can do their true magic only if given adequate space to do so. Otherwise it's a compromise. Small rooms will never work for ML's.
3. With the use of average to highend top grade gear, ML's can perform from your average / nice stats... to an awe-inspiring experience with supreme finesse! All depends on what type and make of gear you use to drive your ML's. The performance can shift gears onto another dimension in a blink of an eye!

Quads simply can't do that, they were never made to do this, so their fundamental design was to capture the original source signal, being the "the closest approach..." Yes, it certainly was back then when made in England. Definitely not now, no chance.

This is why the very passionate owners of Quads still own them as their pride and joy. They are wonderful stats but only if matched with the right gear and well looked after. Which eventually depends on the overall build quality and internal design structure. That part is lacking I'm afraid, and I'm not sure if the new mighty parent company is concerned about it. They seem to be more interested in sales & moving boxes... according to my previous Quad dealer (from whom I bought 6 pairs of Quads!)

Oh well, good luck and all the very best to them, I sincerely do wish them well.

With that said, cheers to Martin Logan!
One of a kind stats, simply marvellous!
Woof! RJ

Are the new Quad ESLs priced more affordable now, since they are produced from Chinese parts. Are they assembled there too? Hopefully at least there is a price savings there for the customer?
Sadly they're not more affordable, not at all!

The entire brand, make, design and rights were bought over by IAG Group and they shifted all manufacturing to China. Every single Quad speaker made now, comes out of this Chinese factory with their local parts sourced. Nothing comes from England, other than the Quad history and its brand of what Peter Walker designed and founded since the early 50's.

Not even the damn Quad badge is made in England. On the new Quads, these badges light up! They also have an illumination dial at the back... that's another nightmare of a design flaw. It fluctuates with the mains tranny. I wonder who the heck thought of this.., good idea though but very poorly designed.

So regardless of type of speakers, conventional or ESL's, all Quads are made in China now. I have absolutely nothing against made in China, in fact good on them!
However, when you're still charging a premium price on legendary electrostats, just because of the name and riding on its history, using inferior parts and very poor workmanship, doesn't get my approval for being a true Quad ESL classic. If Peter Walker was to see this very thing happening to what he created and had so much passion for... he would be in tears. He'd probably never recover and I can relate to that after having purchased 6 pairs of different Quad ESL's made in China, absolutely shocking!

The two original ones that I did own made in England, coming out of Huntingdon, had all the wonderful glory of Peter Walker the ESL genius he was. Like I said, those original stacked ESL63's I had, driven by CJ's older tube amps were a far far margin from what comes out of China today. There's just no comparison! It's not even funny.

The pricing at this stage is over 25grand $AUD for the bigger models; 2812's and the 2912's. They're going for around 28grand depending on fabric finish. You can still get the older versions for much less (ESL 2805's and 2905's, which I sold mine off for just 6grand! The others were given off as trade-ins. Couldn't be bothered trying to up-sell something that you don't really believe in. Plus there weren't many new owners too interested in purchasing these stats.

Mainly due to the fact that ML then introduced the Reserve Line of stats, starting with the Theos Ethos, Montis and Summit-X. All of these speakers were less than Quads pricing and each of them were far ahead in terms of superior build and sheer transparency. The Reserve Line of X-Stats from ML was a fine product, especially for the price. Real vfm! The only competition I could see back then were Maggie's. Magnepan is also one of those vfm products, right up there AND STILL made in the USA!!!

It's only now, that with the Masterpiece series, Quads and Maggie's appear to be more affordable. But then again, the Masterpiece series is no toy nor mickey mouse stat. These are superb stats in every sense of the term electrostat! Like I said, the Masterpiece series is in a league of it's own.

Hope that helps, cheers matey.
Oh! And do enjoy those fine tunes.
RJ

Sadly they're not more affordable, not at all!

The entire brand, make, design and rights were bought over by IAG Group and they shifted all manufacturing to China. Every single Quad speaker made now, comes out of this Chinese factory with their local parts sourced. Nothing comes from England, other than the Quad history and its brand of what Peter Walker designed and founded since the early 50's.

Not even the damn Quad badge is made in England. On the new Quads, these badges light up! They also have an illumination dial at the back... that's another nightmare of a design flaw. It fluctuates with the mains tranny. I wonder who the heck thought of this.., good idea though but very poorly designed.

So regardless of type of speakers, conventional or ESL's, all Quads are made in China now. I have absolutely nothing against made in China, in fact good on them!
However, when you're still charging a premium price on legendary electrostats, just because of the name and riding on its history, using inferior parts and very poor workmanship, doesn't get my approval for being a true Quad ESL classic. If Peter Walker was to see this very thing happening to what he created and had so much passion for... he would be in tears. He'd probably never recover and I can relate to that after having purchased 6 pairs of different Quad ESL's made in China, absolutely shocking!

The two original ones that I did own made in England, coming out of Huntingdon, had all the wonderful glory of Peter Walker the ESL genius he was. Like I said, those original stacked ESL63's I had, driven by CJ's older tube amps were a far far margin from what comes out of China today. There's just no comparison! It's not even funny.

The pricing at this stage is over 25grand $AUD for the bigger models; 2812's and the 2912's. They're going for around 28grand depending on fabric finish. You can still get the older versions for much less (ESL 2805's and 2905's, which I sold mine off for just 6grand! The others were given off as trade-ins. Couldn't be bothered trying to up-sell something that you don't really believe in. Plus there weren't many new owners too interested in purchasing these stats.

Mainly due to the fact that ML then introduced the Reserve Line of stats, starting with the Theos Ethos, Montis and Summit-X. All of these speakers were less than Quads pricing and each of them were far ahead in terms of superior build and sheer transparency. The Reserve Line of X-Stats from ML was a fine product, especially for the price. Real vfm! The only competition I could see back then were Maggie's. Magnepan is also one of those vfm products, right up there AND STILL made in the USA!!!

It's only now, that with the Masterpiece series, Quads and Maggie's appear to be more affordable. But then again, the Masterpiece series is no toy nor mickey mouse stat. These are superb stats in every sense of the term electrostat! Like I said, the Masterpiece series is in a league of it's own.

Hope that helps, cheers matey.
Oh! And do enjoy those fine tunes.
RJ
A sad ending for Quads. Good to know Magnepan still produces their speakers in the USA. Almost everything seems to be made in China now. Even my wife's new Volvo is made there, they own Volvo. Her old Volvo was made in Sweden. So far her new car has been good.

Latest posts

Back