Question re Center Channel Speakers

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ-Dog

Reaction score
Hello: I have a new pair of ML Ascents - purchased pre-owned of course. I do not have the money now to get a matching center channel. I have a set of Mirage OM-10 speakers now with matching center channel. The center channel itself is really very good. Good range, clear & clean highs, and not boomy - all in all a really good speaker. I will be forced to keep the center channel from the Mirage set for a while - until I can afford the high entry price of the ML center (unless you can send me one you may not need ). I heard that the MLs are so clean that the issue of Timbre Matching is really not much of an issue. Has anyone had experience with combining center channels with ML L&R front speakers in a 5.1 surround sound set-up?

Tks.

Andy

I'm using a Kef Model 100 centre speaker with my Martin Logan CLS IIz's and have found it a near perfect and seamless match with them. The Kef has been out of production for more than 10 years now but it still blows away a great number of the latest designs. I paid $100 for it used on Ebay. What a bargain.

Last edited:
Back in '93, when I first got my Sequel II's, I had the then top-of-the-line Mirage center. It worked OK for movies, but the match was not as good as the subsequent MartinLogan Logos I purchased in '94.

Agree that if you need to have a non-ML center, a Mirage or a KEF are some of the best options. The KEF UniQ driver makes a particularly effective center speaker.
Given that you already have a Mirage, I'd say enjoy it and start saving and keeping an eye out for a nice used ML Theater.

BTW- For anyone running a home-theater with mixed speaker types, a huge, I mean night and day, improvement can be had by upgrading your processor / receiver to a model that has Audyssey room correction.
Not only will it address many room-induced issues, it really helps with timber matching. Since it does way more than just spectral-domain EQ, handling time-domain issues as well, it can make movie (and some multichannel audio) much more enjoyable.

Appreciate your reply ... and BTW

Hi, Thanks all for taking the time to reply. BTW I am using a Pioneer VSX-94TXH as a pre-amp and Sherbourn 5/1500A amp. The Pioneer has MCACC which is the equivalent product to Audessy in the Denon world. It does full band phase control and equalization. Does a pretty good job of bringing the "match" betw. the Mirage center and Ascent front speakers closer together. At this point, the Ascents are about the best speaker I have ever heard. They are clear, clean, detailed, effortless, open, and can take the power of the amp (300 w @ 4 ohms). I'm in heaven.

Back