OPPO BDP-83 Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Cherian. The Oppo stuff is awesome for $200-$500 gear, giant killers to be sure. But there is a level of refinement and resolution in the Esoteric that the Oppo simply can't approach. That being said, I have not heard the BDP-83; but it would have to be an absolutely HUGE jump in quality over their previous gear to be in the same league.

I will start with the setup wizard out of the box is a snap. Up and going in short order. Then popped in Underworld Rise of the Lycans and we're off and running. With minimal tweaking of the multi channel audio out and it's already sounding very good. At first, I was taken aback by the sound. Then I realized there was so much detail I wasn't accustomed too. Still some dialing in with my system, learning the capabilites of the player and buying lots of Blu Ray. I can't wait for Andre Bocelli Live from Tuscany. I don't know what will be better, the life like vivid picture or the aural bliss.

gotta go play now

Got my invite today, and ordered shortly thereafter. I've been following the AVSForum thread pretty much since the discussion(s) got cranked up. I'm looking forward to the unit. I had been contemplating getting a PS3 as a Bluray player, but I really like the idea of a universal player so I can have one less box to deal with.

Rumor has it that Sony may be releasing a new PS3 bundle shortly. It remains to be seen if they'll adjust the price any.

Anyone know it the OPPO BL player works with Netflix do do down load movies? Has the Oppo built in WiFi?

No, it does not have built in Wifi, it is networkable but does not have an internal harddrive, so how you get NetFlix is up to the user.

I use the Apple Airport Express for wireless iTunes into the DAC when my MacBook is too far away for USB. With the Airport running as a slave off my master router, that leaves the eternet port free. I connected an ethernet cable from the AirPort into my Oppo and now have wireless connectivity.

Got my invite yesterday. I've been living with a ROM Samsung 1400 in my dedicated theater for two years waiting for something like the OPPO to hit the streets. Let's hope it lives up to all the hype.

The only hype on the OPPO BDP-83 is from the Beta testers and the Early Adoption Program users. It certainly hasn't been from OPPO.

I was lucky enough to get in on the EAP and so I have had it for about 3months now. The unit I have, has been completely trouble free mechanically and with each firmware update the machine does more and more to impress.

When you get yours installed, just for giggles put in one of your favorite 5.1 SACD and/or DVD Audio discs and put your HT processor on 5 or 6 or 7 or 9 surround mode.:rocker:

Then put in your favorite Bluray

Then put in your favorite DVD

Then put in your favorite Redbook CD

Then take a usb memory stick and put in your favorite pictures or music

Then remember what you paid for it:D

Hype.......I don't think so.

If I can ask the people that have both? Other than DVD Audio playback what can the Oppo do that the PS3 cannot? Keep in mind the PS3 costs $100.00 less, has built in WiFi, 60 gig HD, processing power that can crush most computers?

Cherian,

Mine should arrive tomorrow. Drop down over the weekend and check it out, first hand.

--burke

There are already 32 pages of stuff over on AVS Forum comparing the OPPO BDP-83 to other Bluray Players including the PS3. I have a PS3 as well as another older Sony BR player. The OPPO beats both of them in a number of areas. I think you will find a large number of new OPPO BDP-83 owners have PS3s as well.

Better PQ for DVDs, OPPO upsamples with the very best, some say the BEST
Better SQ for Bluray - OPPO decodes all Codecs, and I mean all
Many even say Better PQ for Bluray
Better SQ for SACD and DVDa
Better control via really nice OPPO remote
More flexible when it comes to playback of all formats
Better DACs
7.1 Analog outs
Start-up speed....the OPPO wins again...surprise
Better customer service from OPPO -Sony has infamous CS known as none.

I now use my PS3 for gaming. It is a gaming computer that happens to play Bluray and for a long time it was probably the best bluray machine out there when you considered everything it does or could do. But there is a new sheriff in town and his is named OPPO:bowdown:

Seriously, if you are interested, the thread over at AVS Forum in the Bluray section will tell you everything you want to know....and even some stuff you didn't:D

There are already 32 pages of stuff over on AVS Forum comparing the OPPO BDP-83 to other Bluray Players including the PS3. I have a PS3 as well as another older Sony BR player. The OPPO beats both of them in a number of areas. I think you will find a large number of new OPPO BDP-83 owners have PS3s as well.

Better PQ for DVDs, OPPO upsamples with the very best, some say the BEST
Better SQ for Bluray - OPPO decodes all Codecs, and I mean all
Many even say Better PQ for Bluray
Better SQ for SACD and DVDa
Better control via really nice OPPO remote
More flexible when it comes to playback of all formats
Better DACs
7.1 Analog outs
Start-up speed....the OPPO wins again...surprise
Better customer service from OPPO -Sony has infamous CS known as none.

I now use my PS3 for gaming. It is a gaming computer that happens to play Bluray and for a long time it was probably the best bluray machine out there when you considered everything it does or could do. But there is a new sheriff in town and his is named OPPO:bowdown:

Seriously, if you are interested, the thread over at AVS Forum in the Bluray section will tell you everything you want to know....and even some stuff you didn't:D

Are you a sales rep for Oppo? ;) Maybe you should be! I was just invited to order one yesterday and felt compelled to do so based largely in part to your glowing reviews. That and even though I have a PS3 I have wanted a stand alone Blu Ray player and was just waiting for the right one to come along.

Rumor has it that the Cambridge Audio iteration of this player is soon to be released and that means certain industry publications that otherwise wouldn't review this unit because of it's perceived low end stature WILL evaluate it.

Last edited:

I've read all that and it's a stretch to say that the Oppo beats all of them. Yes, there are traits that the Oppo has that are better than one or the other, but most of those traits aren't really all that important most times. The Oppo is also priced well above many of the units it has heretofore been compared to. In order to infer that the Oppo is a true giant killer, it would need to go up against the likes of the Pio Elite 09 or the Denon 3800 and win in many categories.

What makes the Oppo a winner for some of you is the inclusion of SACD and DVDA. These dying formats have been all but abandoned by most manufacturers, perhaps rightly so. Nevertheless, the Oppo is the "Swiss Army knife" of blueray players at the moment which makes it ideal for those of you with 7.1 systems that don't have HD audio bitstream decoding in your receivers or pre-pros.

As for me, I'm looking forward to having a player that can boot up every Bluray disc. Right now it takes three different players in the house to play every disc that I own and comes in from Netflix. Bluray can be somewhat maddening at times.

Last edited:
Having had the chance to listen to one for the last couple of days, I have to say that while the video portion of the player was very good, the audio section is no big deal. It's definitely a good sounding player in the 500-1000 range, but nothing more.

I think for someone who is putting together a good budget system, this is an excellent player, because it does allow you to play everything - that is highly commendable. This would be a great player to start to assemble a collection of SACD's and DVD-a's, but a decent player a few steps up the ladder will offer better Redbook performance than the OPPO's hi res performance.

Again, for the money, this thing is a swiss army knife, it plays everything fairly well and I think it's more than worth the money as a Blu-Ray player alone.

But it's not a giant killer in the world of digital audio players.

Rumor has it that the Cambridge Audio iteration of this player is soon to be released and that means certain industry publications that otherwise wouldn't review this unit because of it's perceived low end stature WILL evaluate it.

Jerry, is there a forthcoming Cambridge version of this Oppo player, or are you referring to a Cambridge uni-player, in general?

Cambridge Blu-Ray is on the way, but so far they are not talking about it having SACD capability...

Having had the chance to listen to one for the last couple of days, I have to say that while the video portion of the player was very good, the audio section is no big deal. It's definitely a good sounding player in the 500-1000 range, but nothing more.

So Jeff, are you saying that it is as good as a standalone CD/SACD player in the $500-$1000 range?

Yes, I'd say it's definitely that good, I just wouldn't say it's much better than that.

I see it's real strength in it's ability to play everything. And to me it would be worth the money just as a Blu Ray player...

Latest posts

Back