Petrol Prices

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amey01

Reaction score
The price of petrol is finally coming down.

How have you guys in the US (and other parts of the world) been finding fuel costs?

It's eased down some. Gas was 2.80/gal or 2.90/gal last summer. It's now around 3.70 /gal near where I work. So gas is still about a a dollar higher per gallon compared to last summer.

It's never going to drop below 3 bucks or 2 dollars, for that matter, until the US gets serious about new energy initiatives, alternative sources, etc. In general, this country only deals with a problem when it becomes a crisis. And this trickles down to the individual in nearly all aspects of life - be it health care, raising a family, or personal finance. We just can't look ahead and make good judgements. Only when things really get out of hand, do we start we start to pay attention.

Granted, with respect to the energy problem, this is a very complicated problem. I am in favor of a more of a 'shotgun' approach - we need to expand our choices and give everything a try - nuclear, wind, solar, clean coal, more bybrid vehicles, etc. Hopefully, in a few years, the promising technologies will stick and become practical. But we need aggressive action NOW and less finger pointing and blame. I think most people can agree that when it comes to heating a home or getting to work, we are all in this together!

Very true Erik, I agree, we are a "reactionary" nation when it comes to energy related topics, it's time we become more "pro-active". Good Lord knows it's only been 34 years since we were first given our "petrol-warning" !

Congress and lobyists.......... I'm not sure which ones I'd like to get rid of first !!

Fuel?? Whats that??

I bought a Prius several years ago guys and will never go back. I get around 50 MPG, and on average only drive 20 miles per day. Also you have to check-out this new car out of California. The Aptera will change alot of things if it is as advertised. http://www.aptera.com/

Doug - out

up here in the land of moose, maple syrup and salmon, the price has at least stopped going up :) we just had a 2.5 cent/litre (10 cent /gal) tax added by the provincial govt. and surprise surprise, the price didn't go up over 1.50, but the gas/oil companies swallowed it by reducing there "meger" profit.

one of the gas companies (Petro Can) has a chart on all the pumps showing that the price of gas is all tax and exploration and profit is such a thin slice of the pie that it barely shows up :)

but the price has started to drop a bit, and the stations are even out of sync - instead of seeing the same price across the street from each other i see differences of up to 7 cents/litre (28 cents/gal).

a few years back i found that when i shifted from regular to a higher grade of gas, i get a 10% increase in mileage. in those days the higher grade cost more than 10% than regular gas. but i noticed the other day that over the years the cents per volume unit difference between the two has remained the same meaning that the percent difference has dropped to lower than 10% - more like 5%.

so suddenly putting a higher grade in the old volvo means a better return in the pocket :)

Premium is about $4.60/gal around here. Not too long ago it was over $5/gal. If I drive my car to work, it costs me about $200-$300/month and my motorcycle is about half that, depending on extra travel.

Premium is about $4.60/gal around here. Not too long ago it was over $5/gal. If I drive my car to work, it costs me about $200-$300/month and my motorcycle is about half that, depending on extra travel.

I want a motorbike but my wife won't let me get one!! I bet it's quicker getting to work too!

At least we are seeing some pretty good relief as far as petrol prices go - $1.30 / litre yesterday, down from $1.60 / litre only a few weeks ago. Premium is about 10c more, but I don't have any choice but to put that in my Citroën.

Us Brits are suffering with these outrageous prices.

No wonder they call it "Rip Off Britain "

UK Petrol Prices for

Thursday 7th Aug 2008

Avg. Min. Max.
Unleaded: 114.5p 108.9p 128.9p

Diesel: 127.2p 120.9p 145.9p

LRP: 121.9p 114.9p 127.9p

Super: 121.4p 112.9p 135.9p

LPG: 58.7p 49.9p 65.9p

British Gas provokes fury with biggest ever price rise

35% hike comes as parent company prepares to announce £880m profit :mad:

The 35% rise in gas bills was blamed on higher wholesale costs but came just hours before British Gas's parent company, Centrica, was due to reveal profits of £880m for the first half of the year.

:eek:

Consumer groups reacted with anger to news that will dismay every gas-using household in the country. The move is expected to send another 1 million families into fuel poverty if replicated across the industry.

Latest posts

Back