Surface Treatments as Art

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kach22i

Reaction score
What this artist ( Anne Kyyrö Quinn) does with fabric is pretty cool. Gives me lots of ideas for room acoustic treatments;
http://www.annekyyroquinn.biz/p_wallpanels.html
p_wal_cable.jpg

Cool pillows too.
http://www.annekyyroquinn.biz/p_cushions.html
p_cus_3circle_red.jpg

Curtains even!
http://www.annekyyroquinn.biz/p_bli_laine_w_gap.html
p_bli_laine_w_gap.jpg

Maybe I'll get my wife to help.:cool:

Kool !, while not the perfect solution they no doubt would compliment the various other ideas covered under Jonfo's thread !

Hmmm, we should get her to include some rock wool backing, and she'd corner the market on WAF-certified acoustic panels! Maybe Ethan will call her with a business proposal!

Unfortunately, I suspect she charges $$$ for her art.

Kool !, while not the perfect solution they no doubt would compliment the various other ideas covered under Jonfo's thread !

Actually, Jonathan's wife Liz is an accomplished artist who makes some beautiful fabric wall hangings that also double as good acoustic treatments. Jonathan, post a couple of pics for us.

Actually, Jonathan's wife Liz is an accomplished artist who makes some beautiful fabric wall hangings that also double as good acoustic treatments. Jonathan, post a couple of pics for us.

Will do. I just posted the pics of the room with all the realtraps, and it features one with one of the fabric art pieces by Liz that is in the theater.

Will include some pics in this thread of the living room fiber-art.

My wife and I recently made some 6 foot tall acoustic panels covered in black suede with 2 Thai silks draped over the front of the panel. They also have some wood trim at the top. I have photos but I don't have suitable software that allows me to size them down for acceptance by this website. I have system photos I need to post too.

What's a recommend photo editing program for a Mac that's under $100?

What's a recommend photo editing program for a Mac that's under $100?

Craig,

Adobe is releasing the newest version of Photoshop Elements for Mac within the next few months. It will cost $90 and I highly recommend it for your photo editing on a mac. In the meantime, you ought to be able to resize photos using iphoto. P.M. me if you need some instruction on how to do that.

I still have to explore every aspect of the artist website. Tried to do it last night with my wife, but she had to research every term and material, so I ended up working on my five foot long hovercraft model.

Quickly getting this thread back on topic .... :rolleyes:

Here are the pics of two of the firberarts projects Liz did for our living room. They feature yards and yards of high-end yarn and other fiber fabric. Hundreds of bucks per, she tells me (with fingers crossed, I'm sure).

Acoustically, they do dampen the high-frequencies a lot, and would do even better into the midrange with some 703 panels hidden behind them.

She wraps natural artifacts, like branches, to provide the hanging structure in these two:

Attachments

• WallHanging1.jpg
    WallHanging1.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 103
  • WallHanging2.jpg
    WallHanging2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 101
Here are some of the 2' X '6 custom panels my wife and I made. They are easy to make and very inexpensive compared to the commercial prices from some of these acoustic treatment companies.

However, there are some acoustic treatment companies with very reasonable prices such as GIK Acoustics http://www.gikacoustics.com/gik_tri_trap.html. But it's fun to make your own and you can get creative and make it work with your own unique decor.

I'll post the instructions and some construction photos on the DIY section later when I have more time. The easiest way to customize panels is to buy them premade and simply recover them. We've even done this with bass traps.

I think my next project will be a custom diffuser on a stand so I can place it behind and between the speakers. Or make two and try them in various locations. The challenge will be to make it look like room decor.

Here's the panel as mentioned in the post above. Unfortunately, the lighting and lousy photography doesn't do these panels justice. The silk has an iridescent reflective sheen to it that doesn't show in the photo. Also, the wood accent at the top is teakwood. The beads strands at the top have some nice color to it as well but none of that comes out in this dark photo. I'll work on the photography.

I have an electrician coming over in a couple of seeks to install halogen track lighting and a dedicated line while he's at it. That should brighten things up! With all the room acoustics going on, a brighter sound would be well managed.

One more try

Attachments

• Custom Panel.jpg
    Custom Panel.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 75
Back