Advice wanted on setting up Velodyne DD 15+ sub with ML SL3s

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have just ordered a Velodyne DD15+ Sub woofer to partner with my ML SL3s.

From reading the manual it appears that their are multiple ways to connect it into the system even before the equalisation steps. I am hoping some of you have experience with this or a similar combo and can advise.

Option 1: Sub is fed from the pre-amp at line level.
Option 2: Sub is fed from both the pre-amp at line level and at speaker level (two separate inputs in the Velodyne) (alleged to fill in missing mid-bass)
Option 3: Crossed-over high frequency output signal from sub sent to preamp. The preamp amplifies this signal to use as the input to SL3s.(choice of 80hz or 100hz)
Option 4: Any of the above with the SL3's woofers disconnected (panel only)

Votes?

I've had the DD-15 in my set up for years, I utilize option #1, works great.

First off, the DD15 is a terrific sub, and you should expect excellent results with careful setup.

In a DD15/Prodigy system, a good friend initially set up using option #3 (full band signal fed thru DD15, which sends a high-passed signal to the mains), and I thought it was pretty murky. He subsequently changed to a pre/pro which provided crossover funtionality, sending high/low passed line level to both mains and sub for a big improvement in SQ.

I would not disconnect the SL3 woofs. DD15+ F3 is 120Hz - not nearly high enough to blend with the panels, alone, not to mention bass frequencies are very localizable above ~80Hz.

My advice: If your preamp has bass management, use it. If not, pick up a miniDSP 2x4 and use that to manage sub/mains crossover.

Back