Variations on a Theme of Joeyitis

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How's that for a catchy thread title?

As I mentioned in another thread, I auditioned an Anthem D1 Pre/Pro today with two different amplifiers -- an Anthem MCA20 (225 wpc) and a Sunfire Stereo Amplifier (325 wpc). The speakers were Vantages. The differences in sound between the two were not unexpected. The Sunfire was a little darker, but had a nice quality overall sound, top to bottom. It didn't really shine in any particular area. The Anthem was more neutral sounding, but had a nice midrange bloom. Voices took on an ethereal character that was very pleasing. But it was not as coherent overall as the Sunfire.

But what really surprised me was the difference in Bass response. It was a night and day difference. The Sunfire had tight, well-defined bass. The Anthem had wooly, loose, horrible bass. The reason this surprised me is that the speaker was the Vantages, which as we all know, has its own amplifier for the woofer.

This experience has made me re-think some things about the Summits & Vantages. Even though they have their own woofer amps, because ML takes the bass signal from Speaker level inputs (rather than line level off the preamp) the characteristics of the Amplifier that you choose to drive the panels will still affect the bass response that you get. I would probably not have believed that if I hadn't heard it so clearly for myself. So just remember, when you are auditioning amplifiers for your Summits and Vantages, you need to be just as concerned with how the potential new amp will affect your bass sound as you are with how it sounds on the panels.

The question now becomes: Would we be better served if ML had line level inputs for the bass on Summits and Vantages, instead of or in addition to the speaker level inputs? What do you think?

How's that for a catchy thread title?

The question now becomes: Would we be better served if ML had line level inputs for the bass on Summits and Vantages, instead of or in addition to the speaker level inputs? What do you think?

Catchy title... long first post!

Anyway, regarding the question, the fact that we can tweak the bass (which I've noticed also when I compared the Rotel 1070 amp to the Classe CA400 and Rotel 1090) with the amps that we use, much like we do with a speaker sans powered woofers. A line input would complicate things and would require people to have more than 2 outputs from the preamp.

Just my dos centavos!

Joey :)

A line input would complicate things and would require people to have more than 2 outputs from the preamp.

Just my dos centavos!

Joey :)

Thanks for your thoughts, Joey. I agree that it would get a little more complicated, but at the same time it would add some flexibility. Just like when they added speaker level inputs to the descent i, when the original descent just had line level inputs.

And you wouldn't have to have two outputs from the preamp. You could use a high quality splitter cable to split the signal and send half to the amp powering the panels and half to the Summit bass module. I think it would be most helpful when you really wanted to use a particular type of amp that was optimized for the panels, but made the bass sound bad. (For instance, some tube amps are known to be magical in midrange/treble, but sucky in the bass region.) In that case you could use a preamp that gave a good signal for the bass and you would have nothing else to color that part of the sound.

I'm sure there are a lot of other issues involved that I am not even considering, but I am curious why they don't give you the option.

It is always smart to add flexibility to your system. Nothings worse than spending the big bucks on equipment and being trapped by limited flexibility.

Thanks for your thoughts, Joey. I agree that it would get a little more complicated, but at the same time it would add some flexibility. Just like when they added speaker level inputs to the descent i, when the original descent just had line level inputs.

MMmmmm .... maybe ML will incorporated line level inputs to the Summit i. ;)

I am not sure I am a fan of integrated amplification in a speaker. I feel this limits what I can or can not do with different amps. It would be nice if ML would allow us to bypass the internal crossover and amp. Just food for thought.

I thought I wouldnt like it, but I do.

It makes for an easier integration of a tube amp to purely drive the panels... which I'm definitely going to try one of these days.

Back