Shunyata Research IC's

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordon Gray

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this cable manufacturer?

They are on the pricey side but not obscenely so.

Have the Cobra between my Cary and the CJ.

As transparent as the DH Labs Revelation but better top to bottom blend.

Based on this "toe dipping into the water", may pursue swapping out my DH Labs cabling for all SR in the future.

I've only tried their power cords Gordon, never their IC's. To be honest, until you posted this I didn't even know they made IC's.

Tim,

They also manufacture PLC's, which have received some very positive comments on WBF.

May try their Venom model.

What's interesting is that SR came up with some new tech and actually "lowered" their prices due to savings in the manufacturing process.

FWIW, all products available through Music Direct with a 60 day money back guarantee.

Gordon

Yes, very familiar with their PLC products, that's how I got to know their Power Cords. It always struck me as very well made stuff.

WBF likes Shunyata, but on Audioshark some people are moving from Shunyata to Ansuz, and have warned me over PMs that Shunyata is overpriced for what it does. I have heard neither. But Ansuz seems to be by the designer of Nordost Odin, at much lower costs, and is sold by the same guys who make the Raidho loudspeakers, and is used inside them, I think. People have also moved from Shunyata Triton to Ansuz Mainz power conditioner.

A couple of dealers I spoke to who stock all preferred the Ansuz and Tara Labs Cobalt to Shunyatas, on power cords, though whether it was margins or SQ I cannot say. Tara Cobalt is the only one I have heard and is my running favorite, and was introduced to me by an owner of Esoteric K01 who with his friend has demoed tons of cables.

So, if you are spending your money, makes sense to demo all 3, ICs or Power cords, before deciding. Also Kimber select on ICs and Speaker cables as they are cheaper and preferred by some to these. I think cables is the toughest product to buy because they are all so different and not all make much difference, but when they do, it can be a huge improvement. Also there is always something better. So I plan to demo cables till eternity without buying, really

Last edited:
The SR Cobra (copper) is a significant improvement. Especially the top to bottom balance not to mention a more well defined mid / lower bass with the transparency and speed of the DH Labs Revelation, a silver based IC.

I recently auditioned the Kimber KS1016 (RCA version of the 1116) as well as the Audioquest Earth.

In my system and my biases, the SR was clearly the best of the bunch. I suspect the gains will be compounded as I switch over from DH to SR.

As to the fact that there is always something better, that's only for a certain crowd, which doesn't include me. On the price / performance continuum, the SR Cobra offers, IMHO, an outstanding value. No sonic signature that I can tell. Just the music warts and all.

I have used the previous generation Shunyata cables through out my system for 4-5 years. I use Altair XLR for all IC's, Andromeda line for speakers. For PC's, Python Helix on all amps, CD player and Hydra line conditioner (for preamp and CD player), Tiapan Helix on the CLS's and Venom on my subs.

When I first changed to the CLSIIz's I was using Straight Wire Encore for IC's and Speakers. I found a shrill edge on many female vocals and higher frequencies. Not an unusual issue with CLS's. I tried making a variety of different cables but never could eliminate it. Then tried Nordost Heimdall IC's and SC's and they were an improvement but still had some of that edge. I borrowed some other cables and to be honest I don't remember what they were but none cured by issue.

Started reading information on different audio sights and was intrigued Calin Gabrial's approach to his designs at Shunyata. I purchased one pair of IC's and found an immediate improvement with out taking away from the full audio spectrum so, as time went on I purchased more one pair at a time. I decided that when I installed them I felt it made an improvement I would continue adding cables. The power cords on the amps and CD player did make a difference but on the CLS's and Depth i's I can't say that I heard any noticeable difference.

Probably 8o% I purchased used on Audiogon. I am still looking for a longer set of Andromeda Speaker cables but with new line that Shunyata put out 2 years ago the number of used cables from the generation of my cables as all but disappeared from the market place.

I was surprised as you mentioned that they are a bit pricey now, at least for me. I think the priced at least doubled for the new line of cables.

If you look at audiogon there are currently 2 Shunyata PC's, both are 20amp C19. The Python Helix is the generation I have and it shows a retail price of $1100 and used asking $575. The new generation is Zitron Python shows retail of $2200 and used asking of $975. I remember being shocked when the new line came out a couple of years ago that their prices had gone up so much.

I have not read the review you are speaking of but I will look for it.

Brad,

The review was for the Cobra IC. Seems the price impact does not extend to PC's.

Gordon

Back