A Change in cables..........

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twich54

Forum Administrator
Reaction score
This thread could be somewhat of an addendum to Joeys recent cable thread but I thought I would share my recent change in interconnect cabling.

A month or two ago I had conversation with some of the folks at Audio Research at which time it was suggested that I consider the use of Balanced IC's from my LS-26 to my Plinius. The reason being that the topology of the LS-26 was fully balanced and there would be sonic benefits to continue this through to the amp. My cable of choice at the time was Single Ended (RCA) AudioQuest King Cobra's. Well after purusing various vendors, borowing cables from friends and dealers I ended up with DH Labs Revelation cables and CAT Cables King Cats, both Balanced XLR, doing battle against the AQ's.

Now a couple of ground rules..... no "four figure per meter" cables allowed, I don't believe in the "Snake Oil BS" associated with exspensive cables.
Second, while I don't believe in "three thousand dollar" per meter interconnects I do acknowledge that there is differences in cabling; silver vs copper and the respective relationship to inductance, capacitance and resistance.

The first thing that became apparent was that Balanced silver IC's were a good match for my system and my ears. It was as if the signal was "less constrained" with slightly more air and albeit easier to localize, focus, call it what you want, on the actuall instruments location within the soundstage. Did the sounstage get bigger (wider or deeper).....no, I believe it just came more into focus. BeeGie Adair (my favorite Jazz Pianist) whose mastery of the piano was even more so with the new cable addition. The interesting thing about what I have just said is that it applies to both the DH Labs Revelation as well as the CAT Cables King Cats. I could not discern any "real" diiference between the two during two days of comparrison. Since the LS-26 has two pairs of outputs all that was needed for comparison was to change out at the back of the Plinius for purposes of A / B' ing.

So I settled on the CAT Cables KingCats for the simple fact that they were a large $$$ savings over the DH Labs Revelation cables. It has been over a week now and I can say my initial impression remains...... I like the Silver !!

Last edited:
So I settled on the CAT Cables KingCats for the simple fact that they were a large $$$ savings over the DH Labs Revelation cables. It has been over a week now and I can say my initial impression remains...... I like the Silver !!

So what is the final bill per/meter on the KingCats? Just interested. I have balanced in's on my Rotel amps but strangely the Rotel RSP1098 does NOT have balance OUT's! I was really looking forward to fully balanced to see what it would be like, but it was not to be!

I've wanted to upgrade my cables for a while now. I'm trying to get all of my components purchased and in place before I move to the multi-million dollar cable upgrade that I know will come.

I, however am extremely aware of the difference that a nice set of cables will do for your system....sometimes night and day(which could very well be worse and not better). More expensive does not always mean better sound. That's why finding a dealer who is willing to let you demo before you buy is nice.

Back