OK! Esoteric K1 is the winner. ==• now we need to move to the speaker!!!!!}{[]>

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
060.jpg

At CES 2015 Andrew Jones was featuring the latest in the Evolution series. Price point is $24,000 without stands and $26,500 with stands. I spent 45 minutes here and first impression would say they are pretty good. Highs better than B&W 800 Diamond. Lows similar to Diamonds but not quite as much gravitas.

Last edited:
What is the freq response on these...uhhh....mini monitors??

These Tad CE1's have the beryllium tweeters and magnesium midrange with a response of 34 Hz to 100 kHz. And yes $24,000 does seem like a lot for a speaker that I might describe as a bookshelf speaker.

Yes I was joking in that they look ginormous for a mini monitor. :)

These Tad CE1's have the beryllium tweeters and magnesium midrange with a response of 34 Hz to 100 kHz. And yes $24,000 does seem like a lot for a speaker that I might describe as a bookshelf speaker.

Passed on the TAD Ref1 local dealer for 29,900. Will pass on the evolution bookshelf. The magnesium midrange puts it below the ref 1 and the cr1. Spoke to the dealer about these bookshelves, certain things about them point to skipping the evo series and going ref if tAD is your fancy.

To me they were good but never got goosebumps like on the strads.

Yes.

Joey, buy it. Don't quibble too much.

Another goner has been also looking.

GG

Yep, saw it late last night, emailed the guy. We are talking. Price a little high considering the previous ones on 'gon. $26200 with shipping, 2 years old, but at least single owner and within USA AD. Not international. Would definitely want this one to be around $23-24 based on age, shipped.

I know there's another guy looking, he's on my tail. I wonder what his price threshold is.

Thanks fellas, always looking out for me. :bowdown:

Joey, why don't you pick up the speakers? Faced with the option of avoiding the hassle of shipping, he may give you a better deal.

Joey, why don't you pick up the speakers? Faced with the option of avoiding the hassle of shipping, he may give you a better deal.

Like pick it up physically? He's in Florida and I'm in Dallas tx. Would be one long drive. And the strads won't fit in my wife's Lexus rx. We would need a pick up or a uhaul.

Joey... just my opinion ... I think this looks promising??? I saw the $$ 24.9 .... they estimate 1200 shipping... I think that seems really high for shipping??? Maybe I am wrong... but, I think that is too much for shipping... Is this guy a retailer - just selling used gear? I like buying from retailers if possible... I am assuming you have asked about dings/nicks... shape... etc... only 2 years old? Could you deal with maybe the full price - they pay shipping & insurance? If he is in fact a real retailer - if you still do not like the price - I am not sure where you are at with cables etc... but maybe there is something you could do there to get to your happy place.... to me - on a purchase this large ... a 1 grand diff in the end is worth buying from a retailer vs just some guy off the street.... So - take that into consideration .. any 90 day guarantee or anything. and remember... this ISN"T AN INVESTMENT!!! This is for your enjoyment.. at the end of the day... if you want to resell -- what is the difference really?

they estimate 1200 shipping... I think that seems really high for shipping??? Maybe I am wrong... but, I think that is too much for shipping...

Timm,

Based on personal recent experiences, it sounds about right.

GG

PS: Joey, if you go for this, make sure the seller is the shipper and use your Pay Pal account if possible. No insurance on this type of freight. Seller assumes all liability if a claim is necessary.

Also, get dimensions and weight. Call YRC for a quote to verify ship costs.

Last edited:
wow... I thought I saw some shipping on magnepans thru a particular company for about 3-400 ... and I thought that was a total shipping weight of 400 on 20.7s.... I guess the shipper is giving people a deal if you mention the 'magnepan rate' or something of that nature.... at least that is what guys were saying on other forums etc.... This was on deals going back and forth to Minnesota where their factory is... I believe you gordon... that just must really be a killer deal that this company has with magnepan...

Timm,

Based on personal recent experiences, it sounds about right.

GG

PS: Joey, if you go for this, make sure the seller is the shipper and use your Pay Pal account if possible. No insurance on this type of freight. Seller assumes all liability if a claim is necessary.

Also, get dimensions and weight. Call YRC for a quote to verify ship costs.

Was that on the YG's Gordon? Where did they ship from?

I agree with the recommendation on obtaining weights and dims and getting some freight quotes. We pay about $5200 for a full cube out. LTL is certainly higher, but $1200 seems steep to me too. I guess we have the advantage of negotiated corporate rates, but when I shipped my 125 lb. BAT amp it only cost me $65 via Estes.

Tim,

I suspect you do. Freight costs are all over the map based on my limited experience.

Best,

Gordon

Like pick it up physically? He's in Florida and I'm in Dallas tx. Would be one long drive. And the strads won't fit in my wife's Lexus rx. We would need a pick up or a uhaul.
So rent a pickup or uhaul......road trip! That way you don't have to worry about shipping damage, claims, etc.

Latest posts

Back