Trouble with my SL3

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

langvandre

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. However after reading some of the posts I'm on to fixing my SL3 (I hope). What I need now is an answer to a couple of questions I have.
After having enjoyed the music from my SL3's a long time, suddenly one of the panels stopped working. I had decided it was time for a vacuming of the panels, but never expected something going wrong. It can just be a coincidence, but one of my speakers stopped working just after the vacuming.
I've examined it in the dark and there is arcing in the bottom right corner, where the cables are connected. So now I wonder what to do next . . .
Can I fix it or do I need a new panel? How do I remove the wooden side "rails"?

Would be most grateful for any help!

how old are the panels ? do / did you vacum on a regular basis ?

assuming their the original panels I'd step up to the plate and purchase some new ones.

It might be one of the leads that needs re-soldering to the panel (or use 'conductive epoxy'?). Can you remove the panel and take some pics?

How do I remove the wooden side "rails"?

Would be most grateful for any help!
Lay the speaker on its back and using a rubber mallet tap the top of each rail in a downward (along the length of the speaker) direction. The rails should slide off easily. If that does not work (depends upon the vintage of the speaker), tap from the bottom towards the top instead.

If a lead has come undone you will see it easily.

Grateful for the help so far :) I'll try the advice tomorrow and report back on my progress when I know more. Btw. I haven't vacumed very often. . .

Many thanks :)

So my living room is filled with the wonderful sound from my SL3s again! Very happy with the good advice here.
I pushed the side rails upward and could easily see what was wrong when the panel was more accessible. One of the cables had a bad soldering, it was completely off. I just moved house, so that could be the reason.
This has given me a few ideas for improving things a bit, thanks to the information you provided.

Just a little tip for some really good music to say an extra thank you! Check out a great band called Hadouk Trio, for instance the albums "Hadouk Now!" and "Utopies". Very good sound quality too

All the best!

Egill

So, are you listening Baldamore of Hadouk Trio? Got the two discs and the video. The recording is excelent!!! Good advice, good new music too. The trio Hadouk really shine with ML, right? What sound stage!!! and the instruments are truly wierd. Is you don't see the video, you really do not understand that it is a truly trio without any dubbing. Happy listening,
Roberto.

So, are you listening Baldamore of Hadouk Trio? Got the two discs and the video. The recording is excelent!!! Good advice, good new music too. The trio Hadouk really shine with ML, right? What sound stage!!! and the instruments are truly wierd. Is you don't see the video, you really do not understand that it is a truly trio without any dubbing. Happy listening,
Roberto.

I agree Roberto! The music really shines with ML.
The Baldamore album is of course also a great one. Seems to me the Hadouk trio wants to make spectacular sound using only acoustic instruments . . . I've nothing against electrified music, but this is exceptionally good in my ears :)

Back