Considering ML Odyssey

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a moot point as he sold them to another fellow before I could get them. But, on a positive note, I was able to pick up Luther's CLS for my dedicated two channel room and they are great! :music: Now I'm going to have a shoot out between my DefTech BP2000TLs and my Von Schwiekert VR4s in my home theater room and see which one survives.

Texas42, I purchased the Odysseys. They are up for grabs if you or anyone else wants them, not my cup of tea. I sent you a PM.

Mark - I had Maggies before I bought Ascents. I too thought I had made a mistake but I worked with the room and got them sounding at least as good as the Maggies. A maggie room and maggie positioning is not ideal for Logans. Amp also.
Just my 2 cents.

Texas42 - Those Klipschorns are singing quite nicely...thanks! Small world indeed.

Are there any audio meets in the austin area these days? (checked regiona, didnt see much) seems this fourm is pretty slow. Not much technical info, a few posts here and there but that's pretty much it. Seems lots of people are too busy washing panels and replacing high voltage circuit boards and audio transformers ;) My 9/10 rated speakers i bought need LOTS of TLC :(

I PM'ed a few fourm members my phone number, seems people are afraid to talk or something. Hopefully I didn't rub anyone wrong. While i'm a noob to this site, i have 2-5k posts on other fourms. :music:

Seems lots of people are too busy washing panels and replacing high voltage circuit boards and audio transformers ;) My 9/10 rated speakers i bought need LOTS of TLC :(

I PM'ed a few fourm members my phone number, seems people are afraid to talk or something. Hopefully I didn't rub anyone wrong. While i'm a noob to this site, i have 2-5k posts on other fourms. :music:

Right. Like maggies never need any maintenance themselves. :rolleyes:

If you have technical questions, there are plenty of people here that can and will help you . . . if you show them a little respect. But if you just want to troll with snide comments like the one quoted above, then I don't expect you will get much positive feedback.

If you bought speakers rated 9/10 and they need lots of maintenance in order to perform properly, then you got taken. Whose fault is that? Then again, maybe it isn't that the speakers aren't in good shape. Maybe it is just that you don't have a clue how to properly set them up or don't have equipment that is up to their caliber. We wouldn't know, since you haven't provided the slightest bit of information about your setup.

Are there any audio meets in the austin area these days? (checked regiona, didnt see much) seems this fourm is pretty slow. Not much technical info, a few posts here and there but that's pretty much it. Seems lots of people are too busy washing panels and replacing high voltage circuit boards and audio transformers ;) My 9/10 rated speakers i bought need LOTS of TLC :(

Mark, my 15 year old Aerius speakers have only had one failure, one of the power supplies. Martin logan took care of it by shipping me a new one, at no charge. As far as maintenance, all I do is vacuum the panels every few months, which I started doing just a couple of years ago. What TLC are you having to give your speakers?

As far as audio meets in the Austin area, my listening room is rather small, but I'd be willing to host a meet if there's any interest.

snide comments huh... gotta have thick skin around here and have a little fun :) I've been pretty quiet, long time reader first time poster sort of thing. I just bought a set of Odysseys and what a nightmare. I've been troubleshooting them since i got them. there's only one section of the panel on both speakers that have any audio coming out of them whatsoever. on top of that it sounds like a 3" midrange driver at +20dB @ 1kHz. Unplug the panel and the treble reappears but dispersed. One speaker has about 30% reduction in volume. yes the panels are rid of any debris, i'm way past that. I've been in communication with martin logan daily trying to find the culprit(s). looks like the audio transformers are good, Next is to get the fluke out and HV probe and test the main boards for 1900VDC.

as far as room placement, setup, i'm on top of it. before I can dial in the sweet spot i have to have full working panels first. The guy i purchased them from said he couldnt dial them in correctly in his living room. Now I know why. I'll keep you posted. At least i have maggie 3.6's and carver amazings to hold me over :rocker: the maggies use a nelson pass design adcom gfp-750 into a gfa-5802. carvers use a mac mx-135 into an mc-602 at another location.

Yeah, all I ever did to my Ascents was to vacuum them once in a while. Same for my Maggies.

As far as meets in Austin, there's always a lot of talk but seldom do we actually get together (that goes for me at least, maybe all the other guys are hangin' out without me). It's always a good time when it does happen.

groovyslick was the last to offer on this forum and had pretty good momentum for a meet last weekend, then he up and changed the date and...crickets (sorry groovy)

Unplug the panel and the treble reappears but dispersed.

I don't understand how that is possible. All frequencies above about 300 HZ. are handled by the panel. If you unplug the panel, there should be no sound coming from it at all (once the stored charge is completely discharged, which should just take a few seconds). How can the treble "reappear" when the driver for it is electrically disconnected?

Talking with ML is the right way to go. They should be able to help you troubleshoot the problem. I would also be in discussions with the person you bought them from. Someone who says the speakers are 9/10 should be held accountable when the speakers don't function as they should. Good luck with it.

I don't understand how that is possible. All frequencies above about 300 HZ. are handled by the panel. If you unplug the panel, there should be no sound coming from it at all (once the stored charge is completely discharged, which should just take a few seconds). How can the treble "reappear" when the driver for it is electrically disconnected?

Talking with ML is the right way to go. They should be able to help you troubleshoot the problem. I would also be in discussions with the person you bought them from. Someone who says the speakers are 9/10 should be held accountable when the speakers don't function as they should. Good luck with it.

I'm unplugging the 120v, not the panel itself. Dana brown at martin logan and I thought it was a bad batch of audio transformers. turns out i have the updated ones. Dana consulted with melody i believe and she says to give the high voltage board a test and if not then it's the panels. it's rather strange tho when music is playing and you disconnect the 120v from the wall the treble appears at the top of the panel. there are still dead spots but when they are energized there are no highs... seems to roll off around 6-8k. when you unplug the 120v ac from the wall, the speakers will still play for another solid 30 mins. If anyone local wants to have a look/listen feel free to contact me.

I contacted the seller and he's pretty muched washed his hands of me. If he wants to chime in he can. He's a well known individual and seller on audiogon. sucks that I got the raw end of the stick. i need to get them up and functioning mechanically before i go onto to the cosmetics. either way i own them now and hopefully i'll have them sounding as good as new. :angel:

I'm confused Mark....Are they 'not your cup of tea' or is something wrong with them?

at first they wern't my "cup of tea" as i was thinking the older logans just had a different sound to them. it's been a while since i've listened to logans. maybe 2007, and before that some CLS's in 01. I compared to another set and i knew something was wrong with these speakers. while no one is perfect, I took into consideration that i had done something wrong on my end. after a few phone calls and listens of other logans I confirmed that something is wrong with these speakers. so now the hunt is on to fix them. so far the tab is $975 for repairs.

I can't speak to this particular set of speakers (as I never got out to hear them before he sold them) but I do know the seller very well having bought (or sold) with him countless (20-30 sets) of speakers (plus amps, preamps, cables, etc) over the past 5 years and I've never known him to misrepresent anything I've ever bought from him. I know he did not have the boxes for these. Is is possible something was damaged in transit? At any rate, will be interesting to see what is diagnosed.

On a positive note, the CLS's I received from Luther are incredible! Can't believe the detail I am getting from these. I have them hooked up with a Sunfire super junior subwoofer (small and fast with an 1800 wpc amp in them) and it is full range nirvana! :D

Hello,
Wow. While there might not be a huge amount of traffic compared to some Forums, I cannot say I have read that many speaking of replacing Circuit Boards and Transformers on relatively recent ML Models. The prices that Odyssey's and especially Prodigies fetch on Audiogon truly testifies to that.

Panels are sadly a consumable item. Even worse, the prices for Replacement Panels have gone up significantly recently. Regardless, if purchasing a Speaker locally, I cannot fathom not auditioning them prior to purchase.

Odyssey's should sound fantastic. Hopefully, your problem will soon be rectified. I can completely understand the frustration, but most Odyssey Owners have not experienced issues like yours. Moreover, many are still on their original Panels.
Cheers,
JJ

I'm new here as well and was seriously considering purchasing these Odyssey's, but was told by the seller he was looking into a trade with another individual. It appears the other individual was texas42 at that time.

After reading this thread, I sure am glad I was late to the dance.

I would not have been a happy camper, driving from Houston to Seguin, just to discover they sounded the way the Mark described.

Question for Mark, did you have the seller allow you to listen to these Odyssey's before you handed him the cash and loaded them up? I sure would have.

I see that you have them listed on CL now for $3,000. If it is going to take almost $1,000 to repair them, then why sell a broken good for more than you paid for them?

Last edited:
I'm unplugging the 120v, not the panel itself. when you unplug the 120v ac from the wall, the speakers will still play for another solid 30 mins.

That's just not possible. If you unplug them from the wall, the woofers will continue to play forever, but the panels can't continue to play for more than a few minutes.

Nothing you say rings true. First they weren't your cup of tea, then they were horribly damaged and you got taken by the seller. Now you say you spent a thousand dollars in repairs (but you don't say on what). Then we find out you already have them listed for sale somewhere for more than you paid for them! (which you conveniently fail to mention in this thread.) All in the span of a few days.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

The only flaw that was disclosed to me by the seller in Seguin, was some minor damage to one of the lower front grills, which he took pictures of and emailed to me. The next day the seller updated his agon listing, to include the pictures he had emailed me.

Something just doesn't smell right ??

Here is the entire description the current owner has in his Austin CL for sale listing:

" I've had them for 2 days, not my cup of tea. Contact me for more details. "

The picture posted in the Austin CL for sale listing is below.

For someone who doesn't like Martin Logan speakers, then why does he own what appears to be a ML Theater and ML subwoofer ?

4726533614_271d2ffd9d_o.jpg

I don't believe this is a picture of the ML Odyssey's he is selling, rather something he downloaded off the internet....

Last edited:
That's just not possible. If you unplug them from the wall, the woofers will continue to play forever, but the panels can't continue to play for more than a few minutes.

Nothing you say rings true. First they weren't your cup of tea, then they were horribly damaged and you got taken by the seller. Now you say you spent a thousand dollars in repairs (but you don't say on what). Then we find out you already have them listed for sale somewhere for more than you paid for them! (which you conveniently fail to mention in this thread.) All in the span of a few days.

Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

(the following reply is for rich, all other "normal" members and guest disregard)

We started off on the wrong foot already. i'll entertain your post one last time (more so for other readers pleasure) then you go on ignore. Do you have a pair of Odysseys? have you ever unplugged them from the wall while they are playing? Mine play for 30 mins or MORE. Maybe i do indeed have a problem with my logans. however, i've read numberous other posts where other odyssey owners say they will play for 30 minutes also after unplugging.

not my cup of tea because "maybe" if this is how they sound then i dont want it. obviously i discovered a problem, hence why i've been on the phone with ML trying to fix them. Maybe you buy defective speakers and let them sit hoping they will repair themselfs magically. I on the other hand am on top of it trying to get them back to life. the $975 is the price of 2 panels including shipping. have you priced them lately? now you can sleep better. Feel free to hop on a plane and come listen and watch before your eyes how they still play for 30 mins after unplygging them from 120vac. Heck, if i'm bored later i might even make a youtube video for your viewing pleasure. They have been relisted in the event that someone is interested in them. everything is for sale for the right price, however the $3k price tag reflects them in good working condition with new panels. not a bad deal i'll say. If someone wants them "as-is" they can pay $2000 and i won't fuss with them. I'm going to bed now, rich. I don't want you yelling at me tomorrow for failing to mention that either. :rolleyes: to anyone local, feel free to PM me and come observe their strange behavior.

Back