View Poll Results: Which audio format do you see yourself using the most in the next 5 years?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • LPs

11 28.21%
  • CDs

9 23.08%
  • SACDs

3 7.69%
  • Digital downloads

16 41.03%

Thread: Which audio format do you see yourself using the most for the next 5 years?

Default Which audio format do you see yourself using the most for the next 5 years?

Which audio format do you see yourself using the most for the next 5 years?

Next five years.......dunno about "downloads", but digital files for sure. Hopefully high-res 24/192 or 32/384 if we're lucky (but I doubt it).

As for how I acquire those files, that remains to be seen. Downloads are great, but as resolution goes upwards I don't think the speed of the internet will keep up - that may be more of an issue for me than those in the US.

For me today - downloading a 24/192 FLAC is prohibitive. Other means will be required - such as USB memory or optical disc.

That said - as any music is now - they will be immediately transferred to my music server, so I want a file that is easy and transparent to transfer to any place I see fit. For now, that is the Squeezebox Server.
    Last edited by amey01; 04-25-2010 at 02:29 AM.
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Click here to see my system

This is an easy one for me: vinyl all the way!
    Rich Teer, Publisher
    Vinylphile Magazine
    www.vinylphilemag.com

Vinyl + tubes + ML Spires =

Amey, agreed, digital playback from a server is the way to go.

And there are increasing sources of high-quality digital downloads.

Here are some:

itrax.com
    hdtracks.com

2L records

And even if I'm limited to purchase by physical media (CD or DVD-A), the first thing that happens to it is a lossless digital rip to the server.

Also, check out this great interview with itrax (and AIX records) founder Mark Waldrep
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

I think that there needs to be a few catagories added - definitely "Streaming from a Server" and an "All of the Above".

I selected Vinyl because it is still my media of choice, but I have been listening to a lot of music via my Sonos. If there were an "All of the Above" I'd liklely have chosen it.
    MiTT
    Tim Bingaman

All Music...All the time...Commercial Free...

If you want to see System 95 click here

Quote Originally Posted by MiTT View Post
    I think that there needs to be a few catagories added - definitely "Streaming from a Server" and an "All of the Above".

I selected Vinyl because it is still my media of choice, but I have been listening to a lot of music via my Sonos. If there were an "All of the Above" I'd liklely have chosen it.
    I agree with Tim, while I too enjoy my analog collection I have plenty of digital that is right up there as well.
    Dave

System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

Click Here to see my System

My answer is based on the fact that I see myself sort of stuck where I am for the next five years due to finances. Even if a new compelling format came along, I doubt I could purchase enough to replace my 1000 or so CDs as my main staple. My analog collection is small, but special.
    Jerry Rappaport system 143

Quote Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
    And there are increasing sources of high-quality digital downloads.

Here are some:

itrax.com
    Looks interesting - thanks for that Jon. With iTrax, is the "24/96 PCM" FLAC or something else?
    Marantz 8300 SACD / Squeezebox Touch --> Audiolab M-DAC --> Copland CTA-305 --> Classé CA-101 --> MartinLogan Vista / Behringer DEQ2496 --> Whise Profunder sub

Quote Originally Posted by amey01 View Post
    Looks interesting - thanks for that Jon. With iTrax, is the "24/96 PCM" FLAC or something else?
    They offer multiple choices, including DTS, stereo 24/96 FLAC and all the way up to 6ch WAV.

I recently downloaded the 3.5GB of the Rachmaninoff Plays Rachmaninoff Zenph reperformance album, and man is that sweet.
    Jonathan

System #45 (Monolith IIIx, Sequell IIb, SL3XC)

I have a massive digital collection (21000 songs +) which is playing 12 hours daily, really as background. All on a 1,5 TB music server about to double in size.
    Formats is mostly mp3 and about a third is FLAC, which I definitely prefer. BUT, for serious listening, I put on vinyl from about a 500 lp collection. I have ripped some of the vinyl to FLAC on the server with more to follow hence the storage increase required. As vinyl is a degradable source it makes sense that a format needs to evolve which gives the best of all worlds.

CD/SACD only because I haven't gotten into digital downloads. I've been going slow on downloads until I see enough High Res downloads that I like.

I listen to everything, even completely outdated formats like cassette, 8-track, reel to reel and mini disc.

If it's got music on it, I'll listen to it!

Quote Originally Posted by tonepub View Post
    I listen to everything, even completely outdated formats like cassette, 8-track, reel to reel and mini disc.

If it's got music on it, I'll listen to it!
    I wouldn't call reel-to-reel outdated. It's the best format we've got today - bar none!