What kind of Music Server does everyone have??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattsl3

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking to set-up a music server and wanted to know which is the best route. I prefer a PC so I can save in Flac, but the "NEW" Mac mini looks really nice.
OR,
should I just buy a Logitech Transport or Olive server?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.:music:

thanks,

I'm using a Squeezebox w/external DAC and NAS for the storage of files and controlling it all with iPeng iPhone/iPod Touch app.

How is the sound Quality? I heared the SB Touch hooked-up to a Dac all encoded in 192 and it sounded a little flat? My main concern is the Quality of Sound.

I now have FIVE Squeezeboxes throughout my house (3 wireless, 2 wired ethernet), with music stored on a 2TB ReadyNAS NV+, and the Squeezebox Server software (brains of the operation) running on my office Win7 laptop. My primary listening room has a (wired) Squeezebox Touch with S/PDIF coax into a Benchmark DAC. I also have a Squeezebox Boom in my office, and the other rooms are Squeezebox 2/3's feeding powered speakers. I can control the music via any computer, the individual remotes, or my Palm Pre smartphone (running the Squeeze Control app). The advantage of the Squeezebox approach is that you can have your music stored remotely anywhere on the network, and just add Squeezeboxes as needed. Each room can listen to their own server tracks, or Internet Radio streams, or you can synchronize some/all of the devices for "whole house" audio.

Last edited:
I'm also using a Squeezebox with an external DAC but run Apple lossless on a XP PC in another room. Works and sounds great!

How is the sound Quality? I heared the SB Touch hooked-up to a Dac all encoded in 192 and it sounded a little flat? My main concern is the Quality of Sound.

Without knowing more, I'd be a little dubious of that setup. First off, the Touch cannot play 24/192 tracks, but instead downsamples to 24/96. That being said, feeding the Touch digital outs to a quality jitter resistant DAC, IMHO, sounds superb, whether playing Redbook CD or 24/96 tracks. Definitely not flat. I would research the Touch further before dismissing it's capability.

My computer based system tries to achieve a pretty high target, and I’ve finally gotten there after a decade of hardware swaps, tweaks and messing around.

The goals:
  • Full 8 channel digital feed from PC to processor
  • Ability to play back ripped DVD-A and downloaded high-rez multichannel albums
  • Ability to either natively decode and play the tracks or to ‘push’ them to DLNA renderers
  • Ability to bitstream DTS, AC3, DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD to the processor
  • Ability to remote control the Playback selection from an iPad/iPhone
  • Provide visualizations for the music to be played on the HT projector
  • Provide as high-quality a source of audio signals as possible

What it takes:

First is a processor/preamp capable of HDMI input, I use the mighty Denon AVP A1-HDci
I documented the PC setup in some detail at the AVP preamp Wiki site, so read that

The use of FooBar2000 is key, as is its use of WASAPI audio paths
Adding the following plug-ins to Foobar help me achieve some of the goals:
Foo-upnp – provides the ability to create playlists in Foobar and ‘push’ them to a DLNA renderer. I use this to push files to my Denon AVP.
Foo-remote – provides for full playlist selection and browsing using the super-cool Apple Remote app. Yes, you no longer need to use iTunes to be able to use Remote to manage and select audio. Works perfectly, love this ability, it totally transforms the experience.
Visualization tool of your choice, MilkDrop is my favorite.

Foo-upnp is also a media server that can transcode FLAC (or anything else) into WAV, including resampling using FooBars nice resampler. So other DLNA clients can attach to it and pretty much play most of the collection (except the high-rez multichannel)

How it’s used:

This is the nice part, but still a bit techy. It assumes your PC is running 24/7, which mine is as it is also the whole house file server as well as the automation system controller. Since that server happens to sit in the same air-conditioned equipment room as the rest of my audio gear, all it takes is one 4’ HDMI cable to link them up.
I leave Foobar running, which provides the remote capabilities, and it has five or six main playlists pre-loaded.

Whenever I want to listen to the music server, I just select that input on the avp, and using the Apple Remote on my iPhone, pick a playlist, such as my multichannel DVD-A rips, and pick an album or song, hit play, and voila, full 5.1 24/96 resolution music is playing through the system, no physical intervention required.
Want to switch to 2ch music ripped from CD’s, no problem, just pick a playlist that contains those. If that playlist contains DTS tracks as well, the AVP immediately recognizes a bitstreamed multichannel signal, and switches into DTS mode. If the next reack is stereo, it immediately goes back to 2ch PCM 16/44 and keeps trucking.
Amazing usability coupled with as pristine an audio path as one could want.

For the final layer of cool, fire up the projector, pick up the PC remote keyboard (I use and RF slimline all-in one with pointer control), start the visualization and enjoy the cool light show synched to music on the 100” screen.

Great way to chill and enjoy some awesome tunes.

I have a simple setup. Mac Mini with Amarra software and Rowmote Helper (free app), Ayre QB9 DAC, and an ipod Touch with Rowmote ($4.99) and Remote applications. So far, I've loaded 628 CDs, uncompressed, onto the Mac. It could hold a few hundred more.

Current sound limitation is to 24/96 files, as that is the Ayre's limitation. There is now a $1200 DAC out there without that limitation via USB. I'm very happy with the Ayre, though.

Amarra - Currently, there are four versions. The version I have is 192/24 compatible and has automatic hardware sample rate adjustment (this bypasses a current limitation in i-tunes). It also bypasses i-tunes sample rate conversion (SRC) by using iZotope 64-bit SRC and dithering. http://www.amarraaudio.com/

Ayre – uses Asynchronous transfer mode for super low jitter via USB. It also eliminates pre-echoes like an apodizing filter and reduces post-ringing to one cycle, all with one filter process. It also offers a user selectable choice of two dithering algorithms. http://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf

I'm a huge fan of the Sooloos. It's expensive, but it's no fuss no muss. Now that it has 24/96 capability and Rhapsody support, it plays everything I need it to from DVD-a rips to high res downloads.

The Sooloos desktop client makes is a snap to find alternate album art and edit metadata and the interface is light years ahead of anything else out there.

And their storage solutions give you automatic backup as well as MP3's for your personal digital player. You can control it from an iPod/iPad/iPhone, but that's more for pausing to me than anything else.

I've got about 6700 discs on mine, with a lot of vinyl to digitize over the next couple of years. Hoping to eventually have about 15,000 discs on the Sooloos when I'm finished. My 24/96 transfers have been coming awfully close to the Vinyl, certainly good enough that for all but the most critical listening sessions.

If you want to be an IT guy, use one of the other solutions. If you (and your friends and family) want to enjoy music, the Sooloos is the ultimate solution.

At What bitrate does everyone use to encode? Flac?

Do you guys use Flac? If so I was going to use J.River media to do it.

If you want to be an IT guy, use one of the other solutions. If you (and your friends and family) want to enjoy music, the Sooloos is the ultimate solution.

Unfortunatly most of us have to be "do it yourself" IT guys because we can't handle the $$$ of the Sooloos...it's way steep

Do you guys use Flac? If so I was going to use J.River media to do it.

I run two Squeezeboxes with Squeezebox Server running on an OpenSolaris server. The music is on two 1TB ZFS drives. Before that I ran it on Ubuntu. Both are great and just run like an appliance when set up properly.

On that, yes - I use FLAC, although there is a little Apple Lossless as well. Squeezebox Server makes everything seamless. To encode, I use EAC or Foobar2000. There is no difference (on my pristine CDs anyway) and I have checksumed the resulting WAV files to verify that.

The Mac is a sexy solution, but if the server is out of the way then what does it matter? Mine is in a cupboard in the study and most importantly - cannot be heard from the listening room! My advice is to set it up on something rock solid and industrial-strength like OpenSolaris or FreeBSD. There may be a bit of a learning curve at first but it will be well worth it in the long run as the server will just run like an appliance and you won't have to do anything. And with no GUI, OpenSolaris starts up in less time than it takes me to walk from the server to my listening room. I understand this may not be for everyone.

For control, I use an old Windows Mobile running "SlimControl". But you can use any web-enabled device or simply the standard remote. The iPeng iPhone app is probably the best out there, but I belive there some pretty good Android options too. And there's a pretty good Windows app called "Moose" for when you're near a computer (never in the listening room for me, but I always use it to control the secondary system).

As for the Sooloos - yes - we'd all like one of those. But have you looked at the price Jeff? Equipment doesn't grow on trees for the rest of us.......

.......damn shame about that.

Last edited:
Also, at it's price point, the Sooloos is not a multi-room solution.

Actually, it is....

You can use multiple Control 10's or run it from the Sooloos desktop client on a mac or pc. And you can control the playback quality remotely as well.

The Q Sonix isn't bad either.

As for the pricing, compared to comparable solutions, Sooloos is price competitive.

The new Bridge for the PS Audio Perfect Wave looks very interesting for less money, and seriously, if I didn't own a Sooloos, I'd probably do without a music server. For me, it's way too much screwing around and the functionality just isn't interesting. The Squeezebox and Squeezbox Touch are great products for the money, they just aren't a compelling way to listen to music to me.

Cover flow isn't bad either, but iTunes starts to bog down after you have 1000 CD's or so on it.

If I've got to be an IT guy and dink around with it that much, I'd rather just walk up to a shelf and grab an LP or CD at that point. But that's just me.

I'd probably do without a music server. For me, it's way too much screwing around and the functionality just isn't interesting..

The screwing around is a negative, that's for sure, but the functionality not interesting? Huh? I don't get that! The functionality is amazing, it has changed the way I listen to music, it has changed the way I use my collection, it has allowed me to re-discover plenty of material and it has introduced me to even more. Especially with Internet radio and Last.FM.

So for me - yes, I hate the screwing around, but it has been more than well worth it.

It really doesn't take much (an hour or so?) to get it to the point where it will replace a CD player, and from there any more screwing around is just extra functionality!

To be honest, the biggest pain was the ripping! So make sure you have a backup. And a backup of your backup. No RAID.

I invested about 1/2 day (on and off) building my last server and the enjoyment has payed off already. The key - as I said in my last post - is to build a server that is maintenance-less on an industrial-strength platform. I'd expect a few years out of it before I'll invest that time again.

Last edited:
I have to agree that ripping over 6000 CD's was no fun. Again, the Sooloos made it less painful with it's network client. I was able to use our six computers on the network and borrowed a few laptops from friends. I think I got my whole collection ripped in a few weekends, but it was nonstop ripping!

I'd hate to have to go through that again!

Back