summit/bass/control

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khenegar

Reaction score
I have just installed a pair of Summits in my system (simple love them). I noticed that the bass drivers poped when I connected them to the AC. Are the bass drivers servo controlled?

I don't know what "servo controlled" means.. Can you enlighten me?

Tom, basically the voice coil of the woofer has an accelerometer attached to it, which in turn feeds 'info' back to the amp relative it's position and motion. This allows the amp to apply a correction 'signal' so the motion of the woofer more closely matches the audio signal.

Simply put........ precision contol device for ones woofer, which allows it to operate with much more prescision and accuracy.

I have heard that most of the Martin Logan subs have this such as my depthi

Any sub worth it's salt that is used for musical applications SHOULD be Servo based.

summit/bass

here is a reply from Jim Powers on the summits bass controll.

They are not servo controlled but there is a separate amp for each woofer. They are each phased differently from each other so as to integrate and project forward with the ForceFoward design similar to what we developed on the Prodigy.

Yes, I do seem to recall an audible pop with inrush current.

Hope this helps.

jp

here is a reply from Jim Powers on the summits bass controll.

They are not servo controlled but there is a separate amp for each woofer. They are each phased differently from each other so as to integrate and project forward with the ForceFoward design similar to what we developed on the Prodigy.

Yes, I do seem to recall an audible pop with inrush current.

Hope this helps.

jp

Sorry to get off track here, but finally someone definitively stating that the low end is ForceForward. I sent e-mail to ML but never received an answer. Looks like a pair of Summit X's will be in my room this summer.

Mine pop also when connected to a/c. They also pop when my main amps come online after their initial delay. The amps must send some sort of low level noise signal or transient that triggers on the internal amps in the Summits, producing th pop.

Back